Rope for DIY soft shackles

Low_Sky

But when you tie knots and make loops things change. How do they rate rope over what the manufacture states.

Because a rigged soft shackle is FOUR legs of the base rope, weakened by bends and knots. The weak point of the design I tie is the eye, where it closes around four strands of rope, that’s a 2:1 bend ratio. Plenty skookum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOguy

Explorer
Because a rigged soft shackle is FOUR legs of the base rope, weakened by bends and knots. The weak point of the design I tie is the eye, where it closes around four strands of rope, that’s a 2:1 bend ratio. Plenty skookum.

Four legs would be very thick wouldn't it?

Is that your set up in post #23?

Last edited:

Low_Sky

Four legs would be very thick wouldn't it?

Is that your set up in post #23?

That’s one of my well used soft shackles right out of the truck. I have them in 3/8”-30k lbs rated and 1/2”-45k lbs rated. 3/8” gets used for single line tension winching. 1/2” gets used for double line tension winching and snatch recoveries. I off-road a 8500+ lbs Power Wagon and my recovery gear gets put to the test frequently.

I am not a keyboard warrior on this topic.

Low_Sky

MOGuy, you are correct that bends weaken rope, but you aren’t thinking all the way through this. I don’t have time to explain it to you. I think I’ve seen you get into discussions like this before. I don’t know if you’re a troll or a slow learner, but I’m not the guy to help with either.

Even if you don’t understand the magic pixies inside that make the things work, the companies that sell them put them in tensile test machines and pull them until they break. The load ratings aren’t calculated from the base rope strength. They are determined by empirical data.

Done.

MOguy

Explorer
MOGuy, you are correct that bends weaken rope, but you aren’t thinking all the way through this. I don’t have time to explain it to you. I think I’ve seen you get into discussions like this before. I don’t know if you’re a troll or a slow learner, but I’m not the guy to help with either.

Even if you don’t understand the magic pixies inside that make the things work, the companies that sell them put them in tensile test machines and pull them until they break. The load ratings aren’t calculated from the base rope strength. They are determined by empirical data.

Done.

Not trolling, just had questions. The picture in post #23 answers them.

MOguy

Explorer
Cheers. Glad I could help.

watch the videos above you'll notice the top video fails at the knot and the second video fails where the wire rope / cable is put into the attachment point. the final video also fails at the weakest point which is the hook but if you watch closely you can start to see things happening at the Loop. You can also start to see things happen at the loop in the other videos. As I watch the top video again it's hard to see if it broke at the Loop or the knot first. Just because they broke doesn't mean there's something wrong with them, everything has a weak point and eventually something has to give.

None of the ropes or cable failed where it had not been messed with. This is why I have questions about the shop rating its shackles higher than the actual rope. It is not a cable vs rope thing, it is about the rating of entire shackle.

Last edited:

Low_Sky

Not sure what you are getting at? Are you saying the shackles didn't break where I said the did?

Yes. I’m saying that. Maybe your confirmation bias is blinding you. Watch the videos at full screen size in HD, pause and rewind as much as you need to. READ THE VIDEO DESCRIPTIONS, which are full of information. Make another assessment.

There was one soft shackle in that series of videos that failed anywhere but the eye, and it failed away from the eye because of operator error/setup. I won’t try to explain that failure any further than that unless you start showing some understanding here, because it’d be wasted text.

Every other soft shackle shown failed at the eye (the known weak point), or didn’t fail at all in the case of the winch hook videos. Any other anomaly or that-was-about-to-fail you think you see is normal and most of it is explained IN THE VIDEO DESCRIPTIONS. Gee, I wonder if there’s a reason I keep suggesting you read those.

By your own admission, you are a neophyte to synthetic winch rope. You don’t know the terminology, characteristics, properties or use of it. You are out of your depth here, and you say you want to learn. I find I learn more when I end sentences with question marks than with periods.

MOguy

Explorer
Yes. I’m saying that. Maybe your confirmation bias is blinding you. Watch the videos at full screen size in HD, pause and rewind as much as you need to. READ THE VIDEO DESCRIPTIONS, which are full of information. Make another assessment.

There was one soft shackle in that series of videos that failed anywhere but the eye, and it failed away from the eye because of operator error/setup. I won’t try to explain that failure any further than that unless you start showing some understanding here, because it’d be wasted text.

Every other soft shackle shown failed at the eye (the known weak point), or didn’t fail at all in the case of the winch hook videos. Any other anomaly or that-was-about-to-fail you think you see is normal and most of it is explained IN THE VIDEO DESCRIPTIONS. Gee, I wonder if there’s a reason I keep suggesting you read those.

By your own admission, you are a neophyte to synthetic winch rope. You don’t know the terminology, characteristics, properties or use of it. You are out of your depth here, and you say you want to learn. I find I learn more when I end sentences with question marks than with periods.

Cables or ropes will be at their strongest when there is a straight pull. Eventually something will break, and it will be the weakest part of the set up. It could be at hook, cable or rope.

You said "
Every other soft shackle shown failed at the eye (the known weak point), or didn’t fail at all in the case of the winch hook videos"

I'm agreeing with you 100%.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior