Rookies on the Rubicon

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
I would also like to know how to weld with my dual-batteries, if I even can.
Most people just combine the batteries to 24v and use a stick hand piece.

I can't stick weld to save myself so bought one of these

http://www.readywelder.com/

I've used is a lot in the bush and although gasless MIG welding is not my favourite it does do the job.

29506.jpg

Welding a fellow camper's boat trailer, the Kimberley.

30637.jpg

Welding my shockie mount, the small gennie is for a grinder. Simpson Desert.

The two batteries you can (just) see in the tray are normally wired for 12v, but I rearrange the cables to get 24v for welding.

Last edited:

jeremyk

Adventurer
Most people just combine the batteries to 24v and use a stick hand piece.

I can't stick weld so bought one of these

http://www.readywelder.com/

I've used is a lot in the bush and although gasless MIG welding is not my favourite it does do the job.

29506.jpg

Welding a fellow camper's boat trailer, the Kimberley.

30637.jpg

Welding my shockie mount, the small gennie is for a grinder. Simpson Desert.

The two batteries you can (just) see in the tray are normally wired for 12v, but I rearrange the cables to get 24v for welding.

Nice rig, not too many of those over here!

Those look like BIG batteries. Thanks for the link, how does MIG work without gas?

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
how does MIG work without gas?
Ok, nowhere near as good as with gas but it works. That unit can use gas as well but in Oz you would have to rent a large bottle which is silly for emergency use. I must see if you can buy small Argoshield bottles like you can for oxygen.

You use gasless wire of course.

And another thing about this unit is that the wire is always active, if you are used to it not being active until you press the trigger you will get a few flashes before you remember :)

Nice rig, not too many of those over here!
Still quite a few over here, unfortunately it's gone to Landcruiser heaven...actually I sold it to a bloke who does them up as an income sideline, I think he just wanted the power steering but maybe it got a reprieve. I love 40-series rigs, I nearly bought another one but realistically 75-series are better so I now have a 75-series trayback that's about to be made into a camper.

IIRC the batteries were 105Ah 12v Fullrivers. AGM so you can mount them on their side which was important with the space I had.

edknight

Brother...Ditto's to all your words. Caleb and I both had a great time and we both look forward to our next adventure. The Dusy has it's sections but it reminds me of some of the backpacking places we wen't to back in the day. Remember my batchlor party over 19 years ago was at Dinkey Creek/Lakes in the neighborhood of the Dusy. I think the trees are the big prob with the Dusy...we can add a chainsaw to our rescue gear;o)

ErikKnight

Good 411 on the need for extra fuel on the Dusy...I have two 3 gallon Rotopax tanks on my tire carrier, I have never filled them with gas but rather use them for wash water (I'm not quite the Overlander that my brother is). They might see finely fuel on our Dusy trip.

rickashay

Explorer
Ha! How do you like that? My brother's setting me up again...

That's funny about the TT w/the Maggiolina! He's set up just like me, but I'm not rising to the bait; no more RTT for me on these kind of trails. Did he have a front locker? Is there a trip report?

Thank's for the info, I'll do better research this next time. I've got two tanks - it's an overland thing..

Trip Report here: http://www.ct4wd.com/forum/showthread.php?6514-Dusy-Ershim-Trail-Report

You may need to be a member to view it, but you can sign up for a free membership that would grant you access to the forum. Not very many photos as they said they were so focused on their driving and not snapping pics... worth a read I would think! Oh and it appears that HER tent is a "Columbus" not a Magnolia, although they look very similar!

Either way, I'm interested to see/hear your version of the Dusy. Props for pushing your own limits and doing the Rubicon, the Dusy is just the next step! I wish I loved closer, I'd love to push the Lexus through the rocks!

jeremyk

Adventurer
Trip Report here: http://www.ct4wd.com/forum/showthread.php?6514-Dusy-Ershim-Trail-Report

You may need to be a member to view it, but you can sign up for a free membership that would grant you access to the forum. Not very many photos as they said they were so focused on their driving and not snapping pics... worth a read I would think! Oh and it appears that HER tent is a "Columbus" not a Magnolia, although they look very similar!

Either way, I'm interested to see/hear your version of the Dusy. Props for pushing your own limits and doing the Rubicon, the Dusy is just the next step! I wish I loved closer, I'd love to push the Lexus through the rocks!

Oh that's so cool! I printed it off and will read it at home tonight.

Hey, just swing down through Bellingham and we'll roadtrip it next summer. Then you can swing east, once you're over the Sierras, hit Death Valley on your way to doing a Southern Utah traverse with a finish in Moab!

I'l be happy to join in and we'll take lots of pictures!

Thanks for the info and the link. I'd post up the link for my trip but I don't have rights.

rickashay

Explorer
Oh that's so cool! I printed it off and will read it at home tonight.

Hey, just swing down through Bellingham and we'll roadtrip it next summer. Then you can swing east, once you're over the Sierras, hit Death Valley on your way to doing a Southern Utah traverse with a finish in Moab!

I'l be happy to join in and we'll take lots of pictures!

Thanks for the info and the link. I'd post up the link for my trip but I don't have rights.

No problem, hope the write up gives you some insight.

Actually, it's funny you mentioned that as I am planning on heading south at the end of April or early May, 2014. I was going to do the reverse, making Moab my first destination and then coming North through DV and the Sierras. If you'd like to meet up for any/all of the trip, PM me and I can give you some more info. As much as I'd love to do the Rubicon and/or The Dusy, it won't be during this trip... my Father will be coming with me and Moab will be the most difficulty I want to make him endure! haha Good photos and scenery are a must though!

Cheers,
Addison

jeremyk

Adventurer
No problem, hope the write up gives you some insight.

Actually, it's funny you mentioned that as I am planning on heading south at the end of April or early May, 2014. I was going to do the reverse, making Moab my first destination and then coming North through DV and the Sierras. If you'd like to meet up for any/all of the trip, PM me and I can give you some more info. As much as I'd love to do the Rubicon and/or The Dusy, it won't be during this trip... my Father will be coming with me and Moab will be the most difficulty I want to make him endure! haha Good photos and scenery are a must though!

Cheers,
Addison

I'm planning on heading to the Henry Mts in early to mid-May and then heading into the Comb wash area after that for my yearly overland trip. Maybe we can meet up in that time-frame, that would be fun. That's very cool that You're traveling with your dad, that's an important trip!

We won't try the Dusy until July or August.

82fb

Adventurer
I'm planning on heading to the Henry Mts in early to mid-May and then heading into the Comb wash area after that for my yearly overland trip. Maybe we can meet up in that time-frame, that would be fun. That's very cool that You're traveling with your dad, that's an important trip!

Usually not open until end of July anyway.

rickashay

Explorer

Cool, let's stay in touch. Dusy in August.... hmmmmm. haha

jeremyk

Adventurer
Cadillac Hill Video

So here is a YouTube video from Erik's GoPro. I have chopped out all of the stops and the cruizier stuff to make it shorter. It's all pretty steep, as you can see by the 10:30 sun in the eyes. It wasn't as bad as we had imagined, but I would not want to do it in the wet.

The music is by Alpha Blondy if you don't like it, turn down the volume and play your own music...
I hope you are entertained and informed. Thanks for reading my stuff!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles