Rooftop Tents - you call that a rain fly!

niknoid

Help me understand the effectiveness of the RTT rain fly.

So I've been a ground camper for years and pretty quickly realized that a full length rain fly is the only way to go when it is raining. I'm looking at getting into these rooftop tents (RTT) and have noticed that most do NOT have full length flys (or is it flies).

Anyway, can you stay dry in an RTT, that is fully loaded (meaning max capacity people and gear) in a downpour? Do you end up in the old canvas tent situation where everything touching the walls is wet in the morning?

kdeleon

Observer
I've been thru a couple of heavy storms, lightning strikes bad enough i had to get my boys down into the truck. The sides seem to repel the water and there was never any water intrusion. The one recent thunderstorm lasted 3 hours, two passes. The 2nd passed we didnt bother going back to the truck and slept it off to the sound of thunder and lightning displays. (All the ground tenters slept in their cars as the water went up to flood the campsites.)

But like you say, i would imagine the poly canvas will get wet enough to cause issues if i was dealing with whole night of heavy rain with side wind.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
The bigger issue with RTT rain flys not providing full coverage is when you need to pack up and the canvas sides are still wet. The way my Tepui is sealed it has no trouble keeping moisture out. When the windows are shut moisture from the occupants does condense everywhere (the little vents at the top are worthless) so I keep a small microfiber cloth in there to wipe it down in the mornings.

The Artisan

Adventurer
How come you do not see them made out of polyester coated vinyls. Strong does not mold and sheds rain? Same material that is used on tractor trailer sides.
Kevin

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Good point, actually a roof tent in many ways is more like a bivy than a tent. The best ones use fabrics similar to what you see in rain gear with PTFE linings or DWR treatments so they are highly water repellant yet breathe. The hardshell tents need really special fabrics as there is less of it. Personally, I hate a tent with high humidity and I live in a rain forest where rain is measured in feet.

The other thing I use to carry is a large mountaineering "tarp". These are large awnings that have parabolic edges so they can withstand higher winds without flapping. Rooftents are great for sleeping but not so good for kicking around. A nice tarp will keep you dry while you enjoy the rain.

Help me understand the effectiveness of the RTT rain fly.

So I've been a ground camper for years and pretty quickly realized that a full length rain fly is the only way to go when it is raining. I'm looking at getting into these rooftop tents (RTT) and have noticed that most do NOT have full length flys (or is it flies).

Anyway, can you stay dry in an RTT, that is fully loaded (meaning max capacity people and gear) in a downpour? Do you end up in the old canvas tent situation where everything touching the walls is wet in the morning?

Some brands of rooftop tents do not require a rain fly due to superior base tent fabric.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles