Rooftop tent questions

robert

Expedition Leader
I've been looking at them for a while now and I read the threads posted here, but I'm still curious just how durable they really are. How much use are they really designed for? Can they stand up to say a trip down to Patagonia or even living in them for a month at a time? I really, really lust after one of the flatbed campers from 4Wheel Campers but $20k is a ton of money for a camper plus another couple grand for the flatbed tray; I could buy a lot of fuel and do a lot of traveling with that money. Yes, I understand the engineering and stuff that goes into it, but apparently unlike a lot of the folks on here I don't make a ton of money so I have to stretch what I do make thus the question about RTTs. Thanks

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Robert I have a lot of experience with AutoHome RTTs, but very limited experience with other brands. Some of our customers have been using/traveling with our tents for years.

The late (and my lamented friend) Bob Bancroft of Oregon had a Maggiolina that he bought new from us 16 years ago. It was used hundreds of nights from Alaska to Central America and is in excellent operating condition. Other customers report similar durability. I am confident tht these tents are good for several decades of hard use - given a minimum of care.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I have a Hannibal RTT on top of a Chaser trailer and I have lived in it for 6-8 weeks at at time with no problems at all. Mine is 7 years old but still in excellent shape.

surferdude78

Observer
This will be my first RTT but after researching the market and asking a few people who own the brand, I sprang for one of new Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized tents. I had been looking at a Hannibal Classic but saved a grand on this purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94