Rooftent Thefts

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Heads up!

Just had my roof tent stolen. We have a home in Portland Oregon, and left our tent on our car because we use it in the season. Turns out there have been several stolen from our neighbors so thieves know the value and must have a market for them

annotated tent on car copy.jpg

This tent was stolen in the middle of the night, car was parked in front of our house under a street light. I kept the tent as non-descript as possible, the finished sanded matt, stickers removed except the small "AutoHome" in the front, anti-theft locks used. They didn't do any damage to the car just removed the tent bars and all. If you see this tent, let me know. It was rather special, AutoHome made a run of 100 of these tents for Land Rover and this was one of the first production carbon fiber tents. It is a small Columbus Carbon Fiber, light grey, rear latch and aluminum has a fair amount of corrosion as we live near the ocean. Just a note, I sold roofltents for 10 years and never hears of any being stolen, anywhere in the world. Well, had one stolen from our warehouse. We can't assume that folks don't know what these are anymore, bummer.

billiebob

Its a rush to free money.
This months flavour RTTs.
A few years ago it was steal a pickup tailgate.
One night in Airdree AB saw a few hundred stolen.

You can bet a few ended up back on the pickup they were stolen from as insurance claims.

One the theiving bastards pick a product it is always an easy midnight discount.
Fast and Furious was amateur hour.

hbabler

Sorry this happened to you. I was called to a homeless camp for a small trash fire last week and the homeless guy was living in a James Baroud hard top tent. He was not interested in telling me where he “found” it. Good luck getting it back.

krick3tt

Adventurer
The street light must have been to their benefit in lighting the work area. Sorry to hear your loss. With enough hands to lift it even the weight of an item will not keep it safe.
I thought I lived in a 'good' neighborhood but I am coming to realize that such a place does no longer exists. We see people on bikes cruising and scoping out the place at all hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior