Roofnest

Wallygator

Adventurer
I'd suggest waiting until you receive your tent and actually have a chance to use it for a few months before making claims about awesome-anything.

A few years back I held the same opinion as you do now, and bought what was supposed to be a "best of the best" James Baroud hardshell. After 8 months and a string of defects (which were echoed by other JB owners) I had it replaced under warranty, sold the replacement, and would never get another one. It was "awesome" while I was reading reviews and looking at photos, but it was far from awesome after 8 months of (very light) real-life use.

I remember when you had these issues and this is another concern, worse actually since you thought you were buying quality. Just because these things are more money doesn't mean they are better. It seems the only thing your extra money buys is a better warranty.

Last edited:

1EPICFJ

I'd suggest waiting until you receive your tent and actually have a chance to use it for a few months before making claims about awesome-anything.

A few years back I held the same opinion as you do now, and bought what was supposed to be a "best of the best" James Baroud hardshell. After 8 months and a string of defects (which were echoed by other JB owners) I had it replaced under warranty, sold the replacement, and would never get another one. It was "awesome" while I was reading reviews and looking at photos, but it was far from awesome after 8 months of (very light) real-life use.

Fair enough, but like most things in life, each consumers pros/cons are completely subjective. While something may fit my needs, it may not fit yours.

What tent are you using now?
How long had the JB's been out when you bought yours?

I'm the kind of person that doesn't just rush out and spend the cash. I took the time to view the various tents, figure out what I wanted, and then pull the trigger. Camp King has been very helpful in answering any questions I've had. Their dealer (Rhino Adventure Gear) has shown me outstanding service as well. I contacted Alu Cab, Autohome, and a few others, but I either didn't get a response, or was promised a follow-up with no follow-up.

Rhino Adventure Gear sells JB's, iKamper's, and more, but there's a reason they run the Camp King on their 200 series LC. It's awesome from MY point of view, and I will follow up for the next few months and provide feedback after using the tent. I've got a quite a few trips planned this summer, so it'll get its use.

1EPICFJ

seeing the product in person is also something I think is super important.

Agree. After viewing the Alu Cab, JB, iKamper, GFC, Tepui, CVT, Autohome, and Camp King I determined there's a reason for the name "King" in Camp King.

before spending a significant amount of money on the "perfect" solution

I view it differently. Buy once, cry once

To each their own. Enjoying it is all that matters!

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
That is something I've come to learn, too. I think that whoever suggested buying second hand, trying it out, learning what works & what doesn't, selling it and then buying whatever is right for YOU is correct in their approach. Everyone has different wants/needs, and it's important to figure out what those are for YOU, before spending a significant amount of money on the "perfect" solution. And seeing the product in person is also something I think is super important.
Not a bad idea, if you could swing a deal with a used RTT and are a 1st time user.

I've had my CVT Mt. Baker hardshell for almost 7 yrs now. Had one problem with it and had the tent replaced by Bobby, the CVT owner. You can read about it if interested on the link provided. But, in hind sight I think what is important, if buying a new tent, regardless of advertised and/or word of mouth quality claims is customer service. That is what I would pay attention to. Most of the higher quality tents are built overseas some place. And if you can't get repair or warranty work done or have to wait months for parts or a replacement, you're not going to be pleased. Back in 2012, I wanted a Hannibal Impi and settled on a CVT because I could not get a response from the U.S. Rep. - I called/left voicemails and emailed for over 2 months before deciding that dealing locally was more important, and it worked out great. And the warranty was better on the cheaper CVT! I don't know how CVT's customer service is now, but back in 2012, it was excellent.

One other recommendation, use restraint with new models or cutting edge innovations. Give them time to work out the bugs or fail before giving them your money. Let other folks be the guinea pigs. You'll thank yourself for your patience and you might even get a better price if it's a discontinued model. Sometimes your tastes can differ from what everyone else wants.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Not a bad idea, if you could swing a deal with a used RTT and are a 1st time user.

I've had my CVT Mt. Baker hardshell for almost 7 yrs now. Had one problem with it and had the tent replaced by Bobby, the CVT owner. You can read about it if interested on the link provided. But, in hind sight I think what is important, if buying a new tent, regardless of advertised and/or word of mouth quality claims is customer service. That is what I would pay attention to. Most of the higher quality tents are built overseas some place. And if you can't get repair or warranty work done or have to wait months for parts or a replacement, you're not going to be pleased. Back in 2012, I wanted a Hannibal Impi and settled on a CVT because I could not get a response from the U.S. Rep. - I called/left voicemails and emailed for over 2 months before deciding that dealing locally was more important, and it worked out great. And the warranty was better on the cheaper CVT! I don't know how CVT's customer service is now, but back in 2012, it was excellent.

One other recommendation, use restraint with new models or cutting edge innovations. Give them time to work out the bugs or fail before giving them your money. Let other folks be the guinea pigs. You'll thank yourself for your patience and you might even get a better price if it's a discontinued model. Sometimes your tastes can differ from what everyone else wants.

Wow 7 years and still going strong on a supposedly "not as good" Chinese tent.. thats great....do you keep it on the vehicle 24/7? Also great point on the customer service aspect of this crazy equation. Roofnest apparently takes pride in their customer service and have answered every question I have had very quickly.

Last edited:

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
....do you keep it on the vehicle 24/7?.......
Yes, I do. I've had it off twice in seven years for a couple weeks each time. The fiberglass has seen shinier days and 2 out of 3 CVT logos have disappeared....;). I've used the 3M fiberglass restorer, but it doesn't last. I guess it needs a new gel coat to have that "new look". But as long as the surface holds up, looks are secondary, if even that high on the priority list. The struts still hold the top up. The wall fabric and zippers are in good condition. It's been a great tent. Spent $1995 on it in June of 2012. Upgraded the mattress with a memory foam topper for $50. There is virtually zero upkeep to it other than opening it up to air out occasionally, when I think about it. Still has a fiberglass smell in it, but it just sits on my roof and is available when I need it. It's been to Baja twice and countless lesser trips with no issues. Holds up well in high winds and the wet PNW weather with no leaks. Best $2k I've ever spent on a rig. MUD eval thread

Current webpage for a Mt. Baker RTT, if interested.

Last edited:

1EPICFJ

Thought you may be interested in this:

Ray_G

Explorer
You seem to have some good insights from folks, esp MrJosh's experience; I'll relate ours.

It definitely starts with trying to see multiple options first hand if at all possible.

On paper I wanted the Roofnest to work b/c of its size, weight, and ability to carry things on top if need be. We got an opportunity to take a look at one first hand from a member of the community who was generous with his time and insights.

The thing that stuck with my wife and I from the convo was when he said "this probably won't be the RTT that lasts a lifetime, but it's a good starter."
We then looked at the JB, and did some more shopping around.

In the end reconciling our needs, and our budget, we realized we didn't want one for a few years as a starter tent, and that the quality issues we'd noticed with the SparrowX were not show stoppers but didn't fare well in comparison to the higher end tents.
Ultimately, b/c of those same variables of size, weight, and load carrying, we ended up with an Autohome and have been extremely happy with it thus far. For us, for our equities and how we weighed out the variables, it made sense. Had we not seen several RTT's first hand it would have been a much harder choice.
r-
Ray

Wallygator

Adventurer
You seem to have some good insights from folks, esp MrJosh's experience; I'll relate ours.

It definitely starts with trying to see multiple options first hand if at all possible.

On paper I wanted the Roofnest to work b/c of its size, weight, and ability to carry things on top if need be. We got an opportunity to take a look at one first hand from a member of the community who was generous with his time and insights.

The thing that stuck with my wife and I from the convo was when he said "this probably won't be the RTT that lasts a lifetime, but it's a good starter."
We then looked at the JB, and did some more shopping around.

In the end reconciling our needs, and our budget, we realized we didn't want one for a few years as a starter tent, and that the quality issues we'd noticed with the SparrowX were not show stoppers but didn't fare well in comparison to the higher end tents.
Ultimately, b/c of those same variables of size, weight, and load carrying, we ended up with an Autohome and have been extremely happy with it thus far. For us, for our equities and how we weighed out the variables, it made sense. Had we not seen several RTT's first hand it would have been a much harder choice.
r-
Ray

Thank you for your feedback and for posting your experience.

It is making the decision extremely hard not really being in an area to view these things. I may see a rtt here maybe once a month driving around (always a soft shell) and have never seen one camping.

Which Autohome did you get? I have inquired about the Columbos Variant and the Airtop. Got one response and now nothing for over three weeks after asking more questions. As a comparison the Roofnest people have responded promptly to my questions. Again, I am not saying I am getting a roof nest but their prompt responses speak volumes to me.

An I want to like the Autohomes but they are, as mentioned, extremely hard to get a hold of, do not respond to multiple emails and questions, I hear of many customer service nightmares due to no responses, and it costs $700 for shipping one to my area. That is $700 on top of the cost of the tent....wow....The Roofnest and many others in comparison only cost around $300 to ship to my area. I swear, can't prove of course, that Autohome is charging it's customers to ship it over from Italy. So at this point I know the Autohome is a high quality unit and I would buy one (it's actually my preference), but I just don't trust them. How can I trust them??

Ray_G

Explorer
I hear you about customer service, Autohome has been up/down in that department. Andrew is the guy I've talked to the most and in the lead up to buying he was useful and forthwright. I have had no issues since buying it, but a couple of questions, and those have had some response but not what I'd call responsive. Ironically the most annoying thing is that I wrapped the tent-and thus the decals had to come off, I asked them for replacements and got no response. Ok, so no advertising for you...

I got the Variant, it's quality compared to the Roofnest is pretty apparent given the time I've had with the former and limited hand's on with the latter. I'm not sure it is quite JB-but at least 90% (so more than worth the $1k less).

The shipping was a lot to swallow, that's for sure. In every way this has been a buy once/cry once experience. To not help you further, a pic as an illustration.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I hear you about customer service, Autohome has been up/down in that department. Andrew is the guy I've talked to the most and in the lead up to buying he was useful and forthwright. I have had no issues since buying it, but a couple of questions, and those have had some response but not what I'd call responsive. Ironically the most annoying thing is that I wrapped the tent-and thus the decals had to come off, I asked them for replacements and got no response. Ok, so no advertising for you...

I got the Variant, it's quality compared to the Roofnest is pretty apparent given the time I've had with the former and limited hand's on with the latter. I'm not sure it is quite JB-but at least 90% (so more than worth the $1k less).

The shipping was a lot to swallow, that's for sure. In every way this has been a buy once/cry once experience. To not help you further, a pic as an illustration.

View attachment 506288

Appreciate it Ray and great pic. What size Columbus did you get? I am almost 6 foot and was worried the SM was going to be too small since part of the Columbus I hear is basically unusable due to the design. So i was shopping the SMXL but wonder if it's necessary. Any suggestions on that front?

Also how has living with the tent been? Meaning on a day to day basis, do you have a writeup? ...also I believe the Autohomes have velcro on the bottom vs full zippers. Has stuff like that been an issue? Have you had it in some weather? Man I'm sorry, I wish I could just go somewhere and see all these things instead of bothering you and everyone here.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I am also looking at the Eezi-awn Dart but it is pretty heavy. Can get it for $3400 with free shipping from Mainline Overland. That is a lot cheaper than having the SMXL Columbus shipped. The Dart seems like a good tent but again, a ginormous amount of money to spend on something sight unseen.

rshuckfinn

Adventurer
I am also looking at the Eezi-awn Dart but it is pretty heavy. Can get it for $3400 with free shipping from Mainline Overland. That is a lot cheaper than having the SMXL Columbus shipped. The Dart seems like a good tent but again, a ginormous amount of money to spend on something sight unseen.

I’ve done extensive research on hard shell tents the past couple months. If I was to order a fiberglass one today I would get this one.

Ray_G

Explorer
Appreciate it Ray and great pic. What size Columbus did you get? I am almost 6 foot and was worried the SM was going to be too small since part of the Columbus I hear is basically unusable due to the design. So i was shopping the SMXL but wonder if it's necessary. Any suggestions on that front?

Also how has living with the tent been? Meaning on a day to day basis, do you have a writeup? ...also I believe the Autohomes have velcro on the bottom vs full zippers. Has stuff like that been an issue? Have you had it in some weather? Man I'm sorry, I wish I could just go somewhere and see all these things instead of bothering you and everyone here.
From what I was told if you're 6' you'll want the XL in whatever size. I'm 5'5" so I have all the disadvantages in life of being short-except when fitting into airplane seats, and RTTs-so that was N/A for us.
We find it more than adequate, but the Autohome folks were adamant that taller folks should get the XL if they are going clamshell style.

Commentary about the tent is mostly in the LR3 thread in my sig line. Living with it has been fine, no real issues.

The tent does have basically a tuckable flap at the bottom vice full zipper coverage. Never noticed it to be a significant issue (certainly not for weather, and just something to note for bugs). We've had it in rain several times. It has been flawless. There is a lot to be said for being able to pop up your house with some gas struts and crawl into when it is rainy/cold, and then compress it in the am and get on the move, in minutes-while your bedding stays dry. We're still getting to know it and working out little kinks, like do we want/need the ladder it comes with given our truck has a rear ladder on the hatch. Wife says yes, and the way the ladder grips + where the tent mounts on the rack means that it is hard to open the rear door...so I'm working through making an offset to mount the ladder to that will make it more ergonomic all the way around. Those are small things though.

We also put a memory foam topper on the mattress to adjust its softeness to our liking. That's a matter of personal preference in my opinion and not a fault of Autohome.

r
Ray

Surlyvan

Hey, just wanted to chime in here. I own Roofnest so just laying out my bias ahead of time.

I started making and importing tents 3 years ago in essentially a different age of rtt manufacturing. The market has changed so much since then its hard to imagine. I've been going back and forth between my factory in China and the USA trying to improve every single aspect of my tents nonstop for the last three years. Our newest models reflect all this work and have features, materials, and build quality far beyond comparably priced hard shell rtts.

You do get what you pay for but Roofnest is a direct to consumer brand with very low overhead and we can keep our margins way lower than our competitors. If we distributed like our competitors (through retailers) our tents would be 25% more expensive (and worth every penny) .

Check out our reviews on Facebook and join our Facebook group the Roofnest Flock and you can talk to actual owners in an unfiltered environment.

Thanks to everyone who's been a supporter or customer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94