Roofnest

1EPICFJ

From what I've heard, it's like everything else, you get what you pay for. Also, not sure how you feel about a chinese made RTT. I just bought a Camp King today. Buy right the first time!

Wallygator

Adventurer
A Chinese tent obviously does not bother me. Most RTT's are made in China, just not a lot of the hard shell tents are Chinese. China makes some good stuff believe it or not. An it's not like this tent is cheap. $2600 plus shipping is a lot of money. I understand what you are saying. However, it's not like the JB's and Autohomes are made in the USA either, but for them to be hundreds more expensive than this tent they better be very special. Thank you for your opinion and I'm trying to buy right the first time that is why I need to research every tent including this one.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Also the Camp King, although nice, is 176 pounds. Not an option for me. That is simply too much. The aluminum hard shells I feel are another level from the fiberglass/abs hard shells.

Last edited:
Also the Camp King, although nice, is 176 pounds. Not an option for me. That is simply too much. The aluminum hard shells I feel are another level from the fiberglass/abs hard shells.
Are you looking at the 120lb Sparrow? I doubt you will find anything lighter. The iKamper will give you much more space for the same closed footprint and is still a hard top but it sits at 160lbs. The smaller iKamper 2x is lighter than the 4x as well. Might be options to compare this against.

1EPICFJ

A Chinese tent obviously does not bother me. Most RTT's are made in China, just not a lot of the hard shell tents are Chinese. China makes some good stuff believe it or not. An it's not like this tent is cheap. $2600 plus shipping is a lot of money. I understand what you are saying. However, it's not like the JB's and Autohomes are made in the USA either, but for them to be hundreds more expensive than this tent they better be very special. Thank you for your opinion and I'm trying to buy right the first time that is why I need to research every tent including this one.

My point being the landed cost of a Roofnest is much lower than that of a Camp King, Alu Cab, etc., as the manufacturing costs are obviously much more for a higher end tent. To each their own.

Also, not sure what vehicle you're putting this on, but I don't see how 50 extra pounds is detrimental. Good luck with your search, but it sounds like you're already sold.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Are you looking at the 120lb Sparrow? I doubt you will find anything lighter. The iKamper will give you much more space for the same closed footprint and is still a hard top but it sits at 160lbs. The smaller iKamper 2x is lighter than the 4x as well. Might be options to compare this against.

Yes the 120lb Sparrow. Any experience?

Wallygator

Adventurer
My point being the landed cost of a Roofnest is much lower than that of a Camp King, Alu Cab, etc., as the manufacturing costs are obviously much more for a higher end tent. To each their own.

Also, not sure what vehicle you're putting this on, but I don't see how 50 extra pounds is detrimental. Good luck with your search, but it sounds like you're already sold.

Thanks again, but not sold at all. I am not even sure I will even get a RTT. Again I am just doing my due diligence here. In fact I am leaning towards the Maggiolina Columbus Variant SMXL, but if I can save $1000 why wouldn't I? Toyota 4Runner is the vehicle and yes every pound is detrimental, especially up so high. YMMV.

Last edited:

1EPICFJ

If I can save $1000 why wouldn't I?

I understand, but saving $1000 could be the difference between getting a good tent and an awesome tent.

Toyota 4Runner is the vehicle and yes every pound is detrimental, especially up so high. YMMV.

I own a 4Runner (wife’s vehicle) and don’t think it’s as much of an issue. Check out Fotornr on Instagram. He owns a 4Runner with an Alu Cab on top.

KaHuNaZ

Any opinions or experience with company? I'm looking at the Sparrow

https://roofnest.com/store/
I have been doing some research on these tents for the last 3 months. Not too much info out there. They seem to be the most affordable hardshell rtt's out there and definitely high on my wishlist. I just dumped all my money into a Leitner rack and decked setup. I think Im just going to get a tent cot for now. Setting up ground tents is a pain on a windy beach.

Wallygator

Adventurer
You are right, not much info. They are the most affordable but as others have mentioned sometimes you get what you pay for. Just wish there was more info out there on the cheaper Roofnest.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I have been doing some research on these tents for the last 3 months. Not too much info out there. They seem to be the most affordable hardshell rtt's out there and definitely high on my wishlist. I just dumped all my money into a Leitner rack and decked setup. I think Im just going to get a tent cot for now. Setting up ground tents is a pain on a windy beach.
Or your could mount your tent cot on the top of your vehicle. This is a double sized tent cot from Cabela's. It weighs about 50lbs. I had to have the cover custom made.

mrjosh

Adventurer
Been using my roofnest eagle eye for a year now. Previously had a tepui ayer. If I were in the market for a hard shell rtt I would spend the extra $$$ and go with a higher quality rtt (James Baroud, Autohome, or Eezi-Awn Dart). The roofnest is okay, but there are some minor details I don't like about the tent. For example, the zippers feel cheap (not YKK), imperfections in the fiberglass (not enough resin in some spots), holes in the interior felt lining (almost look like a cigarette burn), ladder bag ripped upon first use. I would gladly spend $1k more for better quality. Now roofnest upgraded their tents months after I received my eagle eye, so my experience is based off of their older model. If you are looking for cheap, wildland tents is probably the cheapest stateside for a hardshell rtt.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Been using my roofnest eagle eye for a year now. Previously had a tepui ayer. If I were in the market for a hard shell rtt I would spend the extra $$$ and go with a higher quality rtt (James Baroud, Autohome, or Eezi-Awn Dart). The roofnest is okay, but there are some minor details I don't like about the tent. For example, the zippers feel cheap (not YKK), imperfections in the fiberglass (not enough resin in some spots), holes in the interior felt lining (almost look like a cigarette burn), ladder bag ripped upon first use. I would gladly spend $1k more for better quality. Now roofnest upgraded their tents months after I received my eagle eye, so my experience is based off of their older model. If you are looking for cheap, wildland tents is probably the cheapest stateside for a hardshell rtt.

View attachment 504420

This is what I need to hear, thank you. I am in contact with Roofnest and they said they have an older model for $500 off....I passed. The 2019 Sparrow has been upgraded so I am wondering if some of the build quality issues you experienced have been taken care of?

The Wildland tents look to be carbon copies of the Roofnest tents.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior