Roofnest Falcon RTT

Romer

Adventurer
Anyone seen one personally

https://roofnest.com/product/falcon/

The competition are
Eezi-Awn stealth and Blade https://www.equipt1.com/collections/hard-shell-tents

Alu-Cab https://ok4wd.com/brands/alucab/alu-cab-expedition-tent

Camp King https://www.rhinoadventuregear.com/products/camp-king-industries-camp-king-aluminum-roof-top-tent

And one coming out in January the bush Company Alpha https://www.thebushcompany.com.au/product/clamshell-roof-top-tent-alpha/ (That is in South African money :)

I like the aluminum Hardshell
On the Falcon, I like it is only 50" wide so it doesnt overhang
On the Falcon, I like it is only 130 lbs which is the lightest
On the Falcon, I like the 6-7 inch height for better airflow
I like thetelescoping ladder on the falcon
You can add rack bars on top to carry Max Trax or other
On the Falcon, even though it is made in China the company is local (Boulder) and reviews said they provide quick and excellent customer service

ON the Eezi-awn - Quality is top notch, mattress should be better. Stealth has ladder incorporated, Paul May at Equipt is awesome to work with. Stealth also has more foot room with scissor mechanism. Not sure if that should be a concern

Alu-cab has a lot of reviews and looks like a well built quality unit. It has power, pockets along the roof for storage. You can add rack bars on top to carry Max Trax or other

Camp King is similar to Alu-cab but one reviewer said better quality

Bush Company has two layers of canvas, larger awning covering side windows and has not yet been released in the US (January). Told its around $4K

The Roofnest Falcon is the lightest, least expensive, lowest profile and provides less overhang. If the outside shell is quality, then I can always change the mattress, yet the mattress has good reviews. I can also add power sockets. One key thing would be if my feet will be cramped being a clamshell type. The others are a bit longer

The reason I like these is 15-30 second setup and less than a minute take-down. Staying next to Jeff Hamilton in Ouray, I saw how fast he put his Hard shell down and went on the trails. Having a fold out soft sided RTT takes 5-10 minutes setup and longer on the tear down

This is an advantage also when bringing my trailer with others. my daughter and her Husband setup the ground tent as we were wheeling every day and the Falcon would provide a fast setup/takedown they could stay in so wheeling everyday doesnt matter

You can tell I am leaning towards the Roofnest Falcon. I plan on going up to Boulder in a couple of weeks to check one out. Anyone with first hand knowledge?

I thought figuring out what I want before Black Friday in case there are sales would be a good thing to do

mponton

Nomad
When you head to Boulder mind snapping as many pictures as possible? I'm trying for the XL of the Falcon for the same reasons as you stated.

I was looking at the Autohome Columbus models but am leaning towards a lower profile with rack mounting options.

Romer

Adventurer
When you head to Boulder mind snapping as many pictures as possible? I'm trying for the XL of the Falcon for the same reasons as you stated.

I was looking at the Autohome Columbus models but am leaning towards a lower profile with rack mounting options.

I would be happy to

jm78

I have one and like it very much. We wanted it because it was 60" wide, so more room to sleep. But we have a very wide truck, a raptor.

sea_ledford

The Falcon is currently at the top of my list as well. Would love to see more pictures! Trailrecon just installed one on his Gladitor so his longterm review will be nice.

There is a guy on one of the 4runner forums that is making another one called the terrapod that looks great too, but not available yet. It's 54" wide so midway between the regular and XL Falcon.

-Chris

smittycrusher

Adventurer
The Falcon is currently at the top of my list as well. Would love to see more pictures! Trailrecon just installed one on his Gladitor so his longterm review will be nice.

There is a guy on one of the 4runner forums that is making another one called the terrapod that looks great too, but not available yet. It's 54" wide so midway between the regular and XL Falcon.

-Chris
I love my Terrapod Prototype. The production model looks even better. Mine is less than 6" off my roof line when closed and weighs about 112lbs. Low profile AND light weight!!! I believe the production model will be even lighter.

Attachments

• AABF21A0-EC9F-414E-A7D7-BB355890F6A2.jpeg
    AABF21A0-EC9F-414E-A7D7-BB355890F6A2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 86
  • 0541BD78-CE96-4239-AE87-750AED69DB72.jpeg
    0541BD78-CE96-4239-AE87-750AED69DB72.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 87

TheDesertRat

Desert Nomad
What was the result on this? I also looked hard at the Roofnest Falcon but ultimately bought a nearly identical product in the CVT Mt. Hood. Preferred the color, liked the latches better, and got a good deal. I am still waiting on mounts for my truck shell then I will write my own review. Curious as to what the OP did.

Romer

Adventurer
What was the result on this? I also looked hard at the Roofnest Falcon but ultimately bought a nearly identical product in the CVT Mt. Hood. Preferred the color, liked the latches better, and got a good deal. I am still waiting on mounts for my truck shell then I will write my own review. Curious as to what the OP did.

I bought an Alu-Cab

I have no first hand experience with the Roofnest, but I came down to the Alu-cab based on build and history of durability. I have been real happy with it. I heard an earlty complaint on the Roofnest but that could be due to new product learning pains like Alu-cab had with some rivets
IMG_9759.jpgIMG_0515.jpgDSC04002.JPGDSC03958.JPG

Stabwell

I bought an Alu-Cab

I have no first hand experience with the Roofnest, but I came down to the Alu-cab based on build and history of durability. I have been real happy with it.

Glad to hear you're happy with your selection.

I just spent the last two weeks on a trip from Phoenix to Yellowstone. Slept all but 4 nights in the tent. I couldn't be happier with the Alu-cab.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
The AluCab is the better choice. The Roofnest peeps are trunk slammers, Eezi Awn and AluCab are serious products

Stabwell

I saw a ton of Roofnest Falcons (and XLs) in and around Yellowstone. I assumed they were significantly cheaper than the Alu-cab or Eezi-awn, but looking online, that doesn't seem to be the case. They're thin, but if I can't store my bedding in the tent, it doesn't seem worth it to me. Just my opinion. A Roofnest owner asked me about my Alu-cab in a parking lot. Told me he'd never even heard of Alu-cab.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I saw a ton of Roofnest Falcons (and XLs) in and around Yellowstone. I assumed they were significantly cheaper than the Alu-cab or Eezi-awn, but looking online, that doesn't seem to be the case. They're thin, but if I can't store my bedding in the tent, it doesn't seem worth it to me. Just my opinion. A Roofnest owner asked me about my Alu-cab in a parking lot. Told me he'd never even heard of Alu-cab.
Youtube is training the next generation of adventurers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles