Roofbag.com--Anybody use one?

JakeH

Adventurer
I need some rooftop storage to accommodate the mother-in-law on our next trip from TX to the San Juans, but a hard sided carrier is not in the budget. Plus I have nowhere to store one of those mammoths. My wife & I always end up filling the bed with gear ourselves & it has a soft cover. I don't want anything in the cab with us for 2 days of driving.

The Yakima & Thule soft roof bags have some questionable reviews out there relating to water infiltration & they're certainly not cheap. Roofbag.com seems to have stellar reviews around the web, easy to store & the price is right. Construction looks bulletproof too, which is important to me--My family isn't getting any smaller & no plans for a bigger truck, so this thing needs to last a few years minimum. And the best part for me...Made in the USA! Can anyone add to these online reviews with personal experience? Good or bad, let me hear it if you've used one. Vehicle is a 2012 frontier crew cab with roof rack. Thanks!

ripperj

Explorer
I have not used one for that purpose, but I would be interested in hearing how your mother in-law makes out inside the bag.

Sent from my Passport

JakeH

Adventurer
Ha! Well she can make all the phone calls she likes & eat all the snacks she wants up there without bothering us one bit, so seems a perfect solution! Just kidding, to be clear it's for all her luggage, crafting supplies & food she insists on bringing. Now that I think of it, it's likely my bags that will end up on top of the truck...She's going to need the whole bed!

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
.... but I would be interested in hearing how your mother in-law makes out inside the bag.

:D that was good...

those look like nice bags and price is right. the extra straps seem excessively expensive though. seems like a good accessory to add, but for 30 bucks id probably use some tie downs.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Bought one at Target a few yrs ago. The bag is 42x42 and about 20inches high. Bag and zipper is made well. The straps were crap, but easily delt with by simply using some decent straps. Its huge holds allot. Stick the motherinlaw in the bag put her suit case in her seat ;-)

We use it strapped to our trailer to keep camp gear clean and dry on long trips with lots of gear.

Ed B

Adventurer
I have a Rhino Rack bag and have been happy with it. They have several sizes to choose from. Ours has been rainproof so far and is holding up well. Rola bags get generally good reviews on Amazon, they might be worth looking at.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
If it's an option a hitch mounted carrier would allow for better mpg versus the roof carrier, or even a truck bed extender.

JakeH

Adventurer
I thought about a hitch mount carrier, but most that I see on the highway are hanging down all pathetic & our road in CO puts out some punishment. It would take a beating

JakeH

Adventurer
The road is about 3 miles of potholes & mud, so I can't imagine it'll work for my purposes on this trip

JakeH

Adventurer
I went ahead & ordered an 11 cubic foot cross country model directly from roofbag with the nonslip mat & a padlock. All in for $116 shipping included--Can't beat the price, but let's hope it's half the product everyone says it is. I'll post up first impressions when it arrives & a brief review after its first 2000 mile journey. My brother in law is going with a hitch carrier, so I'll let y'all know how that goes for him as well. My prediction is a muddy mess at best!

Heading Out

Adventurer
I just bought a similar bag off an on line auction site and plan to use it in the bed of our truck under a tonneau cover. mine was less than $40.00 with free shipping, I was impressed with the quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles