Roof vent cover: smoke tint or translucent white?

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Just curious if anybody has experience with a roof vent and an educated opinion on which vent lid color would lead to a cooler interior. The smoke would likely let less light through but the white would reflect more heat, theoretically. I've got experience in campers with white lids and they have a glow of light during the day that I've blocked with reflectix-style covers, and even insulated pillows that fit the vent opening but those block the vent, making it unusable...kinda defeats the purpose here. I'm sure there are times where natural light passing through the roof vent would be welcome inside but others it'd be a nuisance. My initial thought is to go with a MaxxFan Deluxe with white lid #00-07000K and if I decide it needs to be less translucent I could plasti-dip the inside of it white. I think anything done to the outside would just make it more likely to stay dirty, peel, etc.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Found a review that says, "Just FYI, we got the white lid, thinking it would be similar to the fan we had originally. However, this fan is built out of much sturdier material than our original. When it's closed, it doesn't let light in, so the room is much darker than it used to be. Not a problem for us, just something to be aware of. The "smoke" lid might work better for your needs if you want some natural lighting."

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Having a rain shield/ vent cover is what really helped to keep the temps from entering my cabin area, before it really didn't make a difference on the color of the fan's lid...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne