roof top tent

Titan_Bow

I've been throwing around ideas for my trailer build. Its an M101A2. I like the idea of the rooftop tent, however, theres been several times when I am hunting, camping, fishing, etc. in Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, or Nebraska; where winds have been incredibly strong. I currently have a 6 man REI geodesic dome tent that I typically "Car camp" out of. Its held up in some storms that have easily seen 30mph or more. I just get the feeling that a tent, perched 5 or 6 feet up in the air, would just be a parachute in a high wind situation.
I'd like to hear others experience, particularly out west here, with RTTs and high winds. Are there certain brands or designs that are best?

dstock

Explorer
I've been throwing around ideas for my trailer build. Its an M101A2. I like the idea of the rooftop tent, however, theres been several times when I am hunting, camping, fishing, etc. in Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, or Nebraska; where winds have been incredibly strong. I currently have a 6 man REI geodesic dome tent that I typically "Car camp" out of. Its held up in some storms that have easily seen 30mph or more. I just get the feeling that a tent, perched 5 or 6 feet up in the air, would just be a parachute in a high wind situation.
I'd like to hear others experience, particularly out west here, with RTTs and high winds. Are there certain brands or designs that are best?

I have a CVT Mt. Shasta RTT on my M101A1 and have had no issues with it in high winds, even in the 40+mph winds of Death Valley. When deployed the rack is at 76" from the ground.

photo nomad

Adventurer
I'm using the 2015 James Baroud Evasion Evo and have spent 42 nights in it so far. Done deserts, snow, lots of rain and winds to about 50mph. So far so good. James Baroud claims it's good in winds up to 74mph.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449285048.983509.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheFutur

Adventurer
I haven't had any issues in my tepui Kukenam

Its been in some pretty hasty winds, the strongest one being up near Carcross, Yukon. Not sure the exact speed but i bet it was 40+ mph at the very least. Only issue was noise from flapping tent material.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
Posted this story just last week about it in the RTT section.

The best example I have is back in 2013. I was camping with my friends at Mosport for the American LeMans weekend. The track staff was going around warning people that were was a storm coming. We brought the kitchen down to as low as we could go and covered it in warps; same with my change room. As for the tent, I just folded down the side flaps except the one on the ladder side. My friends were in tents on the ground. I ran a 12v extension to the tent and we watched a movie and we kept ourselves busy. We honestly barely felt a thing. Two my of friends had their tents break. I was watching as my one buddy's tent was folding and colapsing down on him and blowing back up like a balloon. Many people, and my friends, had their portable shelters break. I may not be able to share (FB) my friend's video, but I can take a screenshot to give you an idea of the aftermath.

tent.jpg

Box Rocket

I'm the forum rep for Tepui. Let me know if you have any questions and I'm happy to help any way I can. I've got experience with most of the different tent brands too.

cwadej

just a guy
My Maggiolina has been through some pretty harsh storms. No issues. Mounted on a truck bed trailer with feet down, didnt rock at all, tent held firm.

brentbba

Explorer
Eezi Awn Globetrotter on my M101CDN. Sits 60" off the ground. It held up great one evening in Sheep Canyon out in the AB Desert when a buddy's Springbar blew down. Those that know the Springbar know it's an extremely sturdy ground tent.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
11201173_10154010903662289_1709107806781418257_n.jpg
Our CVT Mt. Bailey was on the Oregon coast during 50 mph winds and pouring rain and it did great. We did weight down the half with the ladder so the wind wouldn't move it, but other than that, it survived with flying colors. I was totally impressed. We have our RTT mounted on a small trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles