Roof top tent options for JKU

Stroked 550

Adventurer
I searched on the forum but I didn't see a thread on RTT for the JKU .. I know theres a lot of options so Im curious as to what kinda setups you guys have

What tents is everyone running?

What do you like vs dont like about your setup?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’ve run 3 different configurations on my JKU Gobi.

1). 2 Tepui Ayers - one opened forward one backwards, front one was not ideal.

2) 1 Tepui Ayer - opened off the back. This was awesome but family grew.

3) 1 Tepui Kukenam - opened off the back. This was the best overall setup.

Then the family grew again, now I’m in a CVT Denali on a trailer. That is nice in different ways and a different discussion.

dpsmedic

Adventurer
James Baroud Evasion XXL Black

Dislike: Gel coat is fading...typical of sun exposure on black fiberglass which was my choice of color. Hardware is all rusting, solar powered fan quit working (second time)

JDaPP

Adventurer
I’ve run 3 different configurations on my JKU Gobi.

1). 2 Tepui Ayers - one opened forward one backwards, front one was not ideal.

2) 1 Tepui Ayer - opened off the back. This was awesome but family grew.

3) 1 Tepui Kukenam - opened off the back. This was the best overall setup.

Then the family grew again, now I’m in a CVT Denali on a trailer. That is nice in different ways and a different discussion.
Do you have any pictures of the first setup?

JDaPP

Adventurer
What size of family? Had a generic soft rtt and now a ursa minor, really depends on what's important to you as the JKU is pretty adaptable.
Personally I like the ease of a hard shell as it makes life easier when taking it down (especially in the rain...)

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I took the plunge and bought an Ursa Minor j30. Best money spent on a jeep ever and I’ve owned Jeep’s for close to thirty years. I understand that it’s not for everyone but it’s totally changed my jeeping. My wife had an emergency surgery yesterday afternoon and I ended up sleeping in it last night out in the parking lot! Much comfier that a RTT, as I have a five inch mattress! We also have a sleeping platform for two people of shorter stature downstairs. I did a couple videos on my setup. Sorry up front for my camera skills, I’m no professional!

Stroked 550

Adventurer
What size of family? Had a generic soft rtt and now a ursa minor, really depends on what's important to you as the JKU is pretty adaptable.
Personally I like the ease of a hard shell as it makes life easier when taking it down (especially in the rain...)

3-4 people would be ideal

how much more time consuming is taking down a soft tent vs a hard shell?

JDaPP

Adventurer
I wouldn't say there is a tremendous time difference (1-2 minutes?) It is more the factor of putting the cover on and zipping it up. Can be a little difficult depending on the vehicle setup, conditions, etc.
For 3-4 people best option is probably a soft shell but you could do a hard shell and then sleep 1-2 inside the jeep. Have you thought about which rack you want to use? I think if you figure that out and then search that might help narrow it down.

Stroked 550

Adventurer
oh gotcha yeah that makes sense

I will have too much gear inside the jeep to make sleeping inside feasible.... thats why I was thinking something with an annex would be nice as people could sleep in that area?

I was thinking about the Gobi stealth rack but I am open to suggestions

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
I had an FSR adventure series hardshell on my JKU after I sold my Ursa Minor. It was 1/4 the price, breathed better, less condensation, had more room and more features except no power (lights/power points) of course. I still have the RTT on my Tundra but it will soon be replaced with a bigger truck camper because I can. Nothing wrong with that tent as a tent. Anyway, it fit the JKU perfectly.

It was this one but I don't think the exact one is made anymore.

Edit: Dan Grec’s Ursa with the roof/floor cut out is the ultimate solution. It’s not an RTT really at all but had I seen it and modded mine like his I would’ve never sold the top or the jeep.

Last edited:

JDaPP

Adventurer

I don't have experience with the Gobi setup but did find the above links that might be useful.

JCS2179

I just listed my GOBI STEALTH roof rack with all accessories. Do a quick search or PM me. Perfect set up for RTT.

chacomaya

I have a JLU, not a JKU, but there's not much difference from the standpoint of RTT choices. We have a Gobi Stealth rack and an Skycamp 2.0. Love the Skycamp. Lighter than most and set up/break down is really fast and easy. It's about the same size as a king size bed. Definitely on the high-priced end, but well worth it, IMO. We also have a Batwing on the driver side, which fits perfectly with the Skycamp if you mount the Skycamp slightly towards the passenger side of the rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles