Roof top tent mounting options.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Thinking about mounting one on the forward section of my SD rack anyone have any input as to how the 1200 Eezi Awn would fit or other brand for that matter.

Thanks

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
I know it will fit well. NorthByRover used to have a website where Alan Stuart detailed the build of his D1, including how he mounted the RTT. Unfortunately, the site hasn't been up for about a year.

day%204%20and%205%20107.jpg

day%204%20and%205%20111.jpg

DEMPSTER20151.jpg

Last edited:

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Go for it. IMHO the best place for the tent is mid vehicle. Better weight distribution for wheeling.

Although a buddy of mine had a half rack made for his DII. His rig in the front, mine in the back.

large.jpg

Another:
large.jpg

It also makes the rear section of the rack platform a good place for peeing off of at night, throwing your sleeping gear up as you unpack it from the rear of the truck, etc.

Last edited:

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
D,

I have seen your Pbase photos, nice treks!

I like kevins back pack rack very minimal but I wanted it more towards the front of the rack similar to how yours is positioned, I wanted to leave the rear open since it is a larger, flat surface (minus the curve) which can be used for various things as you mentioned.

I also noticed you have the Hannibal and he is using the Eezi Awn... any opinion.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
MuddyMudskipper said:
I know it will fit well. NorthByRover used to have a website where Alan Stuart detailed the build of his D1, including how he mounted the RTT. Unfortunately, the site hasn't been up for about a year.

I have seen these photos but from looking at them this time it is pretty clear that he modified the front section... not sure if it was needed because it was a D1 or not.

Stuartag

Always Ready
Hi, NorthbyRover guy here.... This is my first post. What a surprise to see a couple of those pictures of our Disco!

Regarding the RT tent mounting on the roofrack, we had the upper side bars widened about an inch on each side, and the front upper bar lowered and stepped down to where it is level with the rear platform. The tent then fits in between the sides bars and on top of the lowered front bar and the rear platform.

Great site this is. I have been lurking for a while. I might be able to dig up a close-up pic if you're interested.

Regards,
Alan

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Stuartag said:
Hi, NorthbyRover guy here....

Great site this is. I have been lurking for a while. I might be able to dig up a close-up pic if you're interested.

Regards,
Alan

Alan,

Welcome first of all and yes I am highly interested in some close ups if you don't mind, curious to see your mounting configuration and actually where it is sitting.

Thanks and again welcome,

Louis

Stuartag

Always Ready
FourByLand said:
Alan,

Welcome first of all and yes I am highly interested in some close ups if you don't mind, curious to see your mounting configuration and actually where it is sitting.

Thanks and again welcome,

Louis

I'm not sure how to post the pics. Let me try and figure it out, and I'll get them up.

Alan

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Rack mods

Alan,

Very nice and tasteful alterations done to the rack, was this the only way to mount the tent and keep it level?

May have to get a bit creative with it.

Thanks again!

P.S. maybe you could share more photos and infor on your trip, I am sure there are a couple of people interested in that kinda stuff.

:sombrero:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Stuartag said:
Hi, NorthbyRover guy here.... This is my first post. What a surprise to see a couple of those pictures of our Disco!

Regarding the RT tent mounting on the roofrack, we had the upper side bars widened about an inch on each side, and the front upper bar lowered and stepped down to where it is level with the rear platform. The tent then fits in between the sides bars and on top of the lowered front bar and the rear platform.

Regards,
Alan

Welcome Stuart! :clapsmile

Thanks for commenting on how you mounted the RTT, I had always wondered exactly how you did it. Your Disco has always been one of my favorites.

Last edited:

Stuartag

Always Ready
FourByLand said:
Alan,

Very nice and tasteful alterations done to the rack, was this the only way to mount the tent and keep it level?

May have to get a bit creative with it.

Thanks again!

P.S. maybe you could share more photos and infor on your trip, I am sure there are a couple of people interested in that kinda stuff.

:sombrero:

I still haven't figured out how to attach thumbnails. Thanks for posting those pics.

The rack does have to be widened by about one or two inches due to the tent being that much too wide to fit in between the side rails of the rack.

When I figure out how to post pics here, I can add some photos of my disco to the photos thread. :eek:

For those interested, we did a story in Land Rover Monthly about our trip. It appeared in back-to-back issues of August and Sept. 2004. Unfortunately, the web site domain name was sold out from us (long story) so NorthbyRover.com is no longer.

Regards,
Alan

Stuartag

Always Ready
MuddyMudskipper said:
Welcome Stuart! :clapsmile

Thanks for commenting on how you mounted the RTT, I had always wondered exactly how you did it. Your Disco has always been one of my favorites.

Thanks for the kind words.

Alan

Dmarchand

Adventurer
FourByLand said:
D,

I also noticed you have the Hannibal and he is using the Eezi Awn... any opinion.

Thanks. I would rather have the Eezi awn as far as the tent goes. Better construction, better quality. I have had a number of issues with the hannibal. It has performed however and has never been "show-stopping" on a trip.

However I like the Hannibal awning better than the eezi awn.

I guess you can never be totally happy.

revor

Explorer
I guess you can never be totally happy.

Sure you can... Eezi Awn tent and Hannibal Awning:costumed-smiley-007

With such an investment it pays to do your homework. Dave what don't you like about the Hannibal? We have an Eezi Awn and love it but need to add another "residence" to the mix. Since we came upon the Eezi Awn somewhat unconventionally the homework was limited to: Yeah, sure, that will work..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz