Roof Top Storage on Pop-up

codename607

Adventurer
Lately I've been wondering if I should expand my foot print onto my roof. I have the yakima tracks so adding a few items to the roof should be fine.

However, as I think about the actual use of this I tend to come up with a lot more cons over pros.

Items to store:
1) Maxtrax
2) Shovel
3) Small recovery gear
4) Camp fire wood
5) Maybe some more items but nothing heavy

All this would be stored inside a cargo box on top.

The cons that keep me from going down this road:
1) Added weight on top of the camper.
2) Added drag; possibly decreasing MPGs
3) Challenges of accessing the gear on top. The camper is pretty high.
4) Limited mobility; Right now I can still fit in most drive through Starbucks.

Just looking for people that have real world experience and if my cons are substantial enough to worry about.

What do you guys think?

kerry

Expedition Leader
We keep our canoes and kayaks up there. Use a collapsible step ladder which we keep in a pvc pipe on the bumper for access

craig333

Expedition Leader
Depends on how much you like taking stuff down. I popped my top with my kayak up there just to prove I could do it but its not a good idea. Lucky I didn't hurt myself. Maxtrax and solar is as much as I like to lift.

I didn't see what kind of camper you have. FWC or ATC means you either unload everything or figure out how to lift that much more weight. Others with a lift system may not be able to handle much extra weight.

Within reason can easily carry more but definitely take into account the cons you listed.

My Hallmark has the heavy duty lift system and can lift 500lbs, haven't used it yet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

kerry

Expedition Leader
We have the Heco crank system on our Northstar TS10000 We routinely crank it up with 3 kayaks (200 lbs?) or 2 canoes (160 lbs) on top. The OE crank handle is too short so I installed the crank gear into a sailboat winch handle. First couple of turns are harder than the rest but not something requiring a strongman. Been doing it for 10 years now.

codename607

Adventurer
For now I've decided to hold off on adding a cargo rack on top. I recently built a mount that allows me to secure my maxtrax to the rear of the camper, so that takes care of that item. If I decide to go this route in the future I'll be sure to post up my thoughts here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles