Roof Racks

MOAK

Adventurer
I'm torn and need some input----- I've narrowed my roof rack choices down to either the Frontrunner Slimline II or the Baja Rack. With free shipping on the Frontrunner the price is close to equal. I like Frontrunner's light weight and overall modular styling. I like the Baja's simplicity, and the fact that there is a choice, top rail or flat, but I think that after my experience with the very heavy Warrior rack on our old TJ, I'll not miss the top rail when I go flat. The only downfall I can see with the Frontrunner rack is that you're stuck buying all of their accessories, (tie downs, mounts, etc) whereas with the Baja Rack, just ratchet-strap, bungee, or fist-grip your gear down and be on your way. Frontrunner has earned a great world wide reputation for producing top line state of the art gear. Baja Rack, is the new kid on the block, with something to prove. My heart says Baja, my mind says Frontrunner... any help? all opinions will certainly be welcomed.... thanks friends----

SmoothLC

Explorer
2 cents: Have had the FR (v1) installed for 4 years now and it's held up really well. My initial response is that while all the FR accessories really seem to make the rack, so to speak, I've spread out the purchase of accessories over a period of time so that their cost has been really negligible. I also saw it as an investment, since the next vehicle I get will also get a FR. YMMV.

Abe Froman

Adventurer
My friend bought a baja rack directly from their warehouse for a discovery. The fit and finish were awful.
It was super heavy, but it just didn't fit well at all.
Could have been a bad example, but it just wasn't a super high quality product.
Of course with the disco, the standard is a safety devices rack, and those are very nice.
Friend dumped the rack for $500 bucks on craigslist.

I'd go frontrunner for weight and looks, esp. If the price is close.
I'd view it as "get to use" all the cool accessories, vs. HAVE to use.
They appear to be very nice racks.
Plus is doesn't look all played out and expo-y when empty.

theside00

Adventurer
We have installed many bajaracks on all toyota 4x4's and we along with customers have been very happy with them. To us they are light weight, really easy to install, and just with tubing you can do whatever you want and not be locked in to having to get the accessories to make it work. Since we do a lot of custom work they are a great platform to go any route you want.

I would suggest getting the EXP rack with the front basket. If you dont like it or need more flat room you can cut it off and have your flat rack.

H

High Country Nomads

Have you looked at the ARB Alloy racks or maybe Eezi Awn has one for your truck. I had an ARB on my Discovery and it was fantastic. I've had a Baja Rack on my Sport for 3 years and have always disliked the noise, weight & look, and yes you can strap stuff down, otherwise you have to buy their poorly built add ons. An awning attachment was $70.00 - and rusted in 5 months. I removed my rack yesterday for the first time in 3 years since I'm trading in for a Toyota this week and was about to list it on craigslist, but noticed the steel footings were completely rusted and warped. Now I'm stuck with an 80 lbs pos in my garage for eternity. I'd stay away from Baja.

hoser

Explorer
The only downfall I can see with the Frontrunner rack is that you're stuck buying all of their accessories, (tie downs, mounts, etc) whereas with the Baja Rack, just ratchet-strap, bungee, or fist-grip your gear down and be on your way.
I'm trying to understand why you're saying you can't ratchet-strap objects down on the FR. I have an African Outback rack that is similar to the FR and I most often use ratchet straps to secure loads.

MOAK

Adventurer
I'm trying to understand why you're saying you can't ratchet-strap objects down on the FR. I have an African Outback rack that is similar to the FR and I most often use ratchet straps to secure loads.
. Ah ha,, thank you sir,, I assumed , wrongfully I might add, that one must use the eye bolts in order to ratchet or bungee the items.. My research is complete, I'll be ordering the FR after Christmas, along with several pairs of eye bolts .. Thanks all for input.. Decisive factors --- weight, rust, noise..

CORunner

I have the FR and am very happy with it.

I based my purchase on advice from Slee Offroad. They sell both the FR and Baja.

Also, one advantage of the FR that no one else mentioned was you can mount/bolt anything to the FR cross bars. There is a hex head slot on each cross bar. So you just need M8 bolts (? I think) and/or you can pick up their M8 eye bolts for $10 a pair.

wyota884

Observer
I've had the FR rack for 2 years and I love it. Light weight and no rust with the aluminum. The rails make it easy to mount accessories to. I keep the RTT and 2 fuel cans mounted to it most of the time. Its solid enough for me to use as a platform for taking pictures, we've even used the mounting legs as tie off points for hammocks! I do recommend using the wind deflector, it made a horrible buffeting noise with an empty rack before I installed the deflector. You can find the round eyelets with the metric stud for use in the rails at the local hardware store for much cheaper than can get them from FR.
IMG_0253.jpg

MOAK

Adventurer
OK gang... I jumped the gun a bit and bought the Frontrunner rack back in late October and have made one long trip with it and many short trips, both on pavement and unmaintained two track.. What a great rack,, It was able to assemble and install it myself in less than 4 hours, and I took my time.. No rattles, no squeaks, with very little wind noise.. So far though, all we have hauled up there is our Jet Tent 25X, and our Treds.. This thing will never rust, and contrary to some's belief, we are not stuck using "Frontrunner only" accessories as all you need are bolts with 13mm or 1/2" heads... So now after spending a pile of money on all my frontrunner gear, Racks, Water tanks, expedition rails, etc etc, I'm hoping to someday get a Free frontrunner hat out of the deal,, ( tongue firmly in cheek ),, but i do, and will advertise for any products I believe in for a minimal fee..
DSC02074.jpg

Last edited:

Box Rocket

The Bajarack and FR racks have some good features. If you are looking at any other options, I've been really happy with my rack from Prinsu Design. All aluminum so its light and super strong. It's worked great with my RTT and lots of other gear.

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
My friend bought a baja rack directly from their warehouse for a discovery. The fit and finish were awful.
It was super heavy, but it just didn't fit well at all.
Could have been a bad example, but it just wasn't a super high quality product.
Of course with the disco, the standard is a safety devices rack, and those are very nice.
Friend dumped the rack for $500 bucks on craigslist.

I'd go frontrunner for weight and looks, esp. If the price is close.
I'd view it as "get to use" all the cool accessories, vs. HAVE to use.
They appear to be very nice racks.
Plus is doesn't look all played out and expo-y when empty.

Stay the hell away from Baja Rack! I had one on my Landcruiser 200 series and it ruined the roof. You've been warned! = D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior