Roof racks - Garvin , Gobi or Rhino - Jeep

GKSJeep

Hello,

I have a 2017 JKU and I am looking for anyone who has any experience with these rack systems. The main purpose is to hold a RTT and maybe an awning.

I was looking at the Garvin Adventure half rack but after Garvin wouldn't answer my question regarding the mounting point in the gutters on the hard top and a reseller recommended Gobi over Garvin for a RTT. Another reseller would not recommend the Rhino Rack for a RTT however they are people who use Rhino racks for their RTT. Any thoughts or recommendations of other roof racks would be very helpful.

Thank you

chacomaya

I have a 2018 JLUR with a Gobi rack, a Skycamp 2.0, and a Batwing awning and it works great. The weight rating for the hardtop is very low, so a rack that mounts to the rain gutters is probably not a great idea if you plan to mount an RTT. Also, I live in a pretty rainy place, so I decided against any of the racks that require you to drill through the hard top (leakage concerns). The downsides of the Gobi are price and the long lead times, but they are top quality items.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I have a Gobi on a 2014 JKUR. Something like 100k miles with the rack now. Most of it with various RTT configurations, but I’ve also moved a heck of a lot of lumber, steel, drywall, canoes, random gear, etc...

If you know it will only ever have a RTT, the rack seems like overkill, as the tent covers most of the racks utility and you really only need a frame to mount a tent. If you use the rack for other stuff, it is a great option, and I believe one of the best looking out there.

GKSJeep

Thanks for your responses.

If you know it will only ever have a RTT, the rack seems like overkill, as the tent covers most of the racks utility and you really only need a frame to mount a tent. If you use the rack for other stuff, it is a great option, and I believe one of the best looking out there.
[/QUOTE]

Ya I certainly think the Gobi is the best looking in terms of an exo skeleton frame as well. Since I think i will mostly be using it for a RTT, I am also considering the Garvin Full frame just no longer the half rack. With Garvin I am a bit confused as to why the half rack as the same weight capacity ratings as the full frame...

If anyone else has any experience with Garvin or Rhino let me know. I would like to know if regardless of what rack I choose if gas mileage drains equally and if the jeep handles the extra weight on these racks pretty much the same regardless.

JCS2179

I had both now on my 2018 Rubi RECON, the GOBI and (currently) the Rhino Rack Backbone system, with the 3-crossbar VORTEX set up. IF all you want up there is an RTT, this is the lightest, less bulky set up. It holds 264 lbs dynamic load and over 700 lbs load when you park. If you remove the RTT between trips, and you wanted to remove the Jeep's hard top, this set up is the best, bar none. There are NO ADDITIONAL steps to remove the hard top. None. Not a single (extra) screw.
The Gobi was great, but a PITA if you like to take the top off. The 'catch' of the Rhino VORTEX is you MUST drill into your hardtop, but it was not hard at all. Unnerving and scary for the first hole? yes! Difficult? nahhh. I'm much happier now. Rhino Rack all the way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior