Roof Rack Question - K9 vs FrontRunner

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I too am now comparing the FR vs K9.

This will go on a Jeep LJ.

I want to know more about the issue of mounting the tent. On the K9 it looks like the rack is completely flat with the outside edge. This should mean you could bolt the tent directly down to the slats. Is that not the case?

tjalward

Observer
I have a front runner on the cab of my tacoma. So no experience with 4Runners or K9 racks. But on a trip to the beach this week, I did raise the slat orientation question to myself, and can say that when you put long things on the rack as I did (2 EZ ups, tent, shower enclosure) it was really nice to have the cross slats, because it allowed me to put those items up, and push them towards the center together before securing them with stratchits (A must have game changer in my opinion) to the stainless eyelets. Super easy and secure. This would not have been easy to do with lengthwise slats... and likely not held the gear as well either. My $0.02

I love the front runner and the accessories, wind noise is negligible to me as the tires (even all terrains) are by far louder than any wind noise on the roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier