Roof Rack Lighting Wiring

unsung

I'm missing something obvious...

So I have a Switch Pro and am looking to add lighting to my rack, all four directions switched independently, and can't find the appropriate wiring solution. If you want to run four switches you'll need at least four wires minus the negative, is there a single cable that has multiple conductors that is the preferred method?

Thanks.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I used low voltage landscape light wire from the local big box and ran one paired cable to each zone. It has really thick insulation and is UV stabilized, so it lasts a long time.

There are multi-conductor marine cable solutions as well.

unsung

I will probably just do an 8 conductor then branch out with Deutsch connectors wiring harness style.

unsung

Additional issue...

I have sourced the connectors that I am going to use and am still trying to decide cable sizing. I want to run this light for the front but it is claiming a 18.5A draw.

940214BLK - SR-SRS PRO 40" MDNT | Rigid Industries

Obviously this is a 12v application but amps are still amps. A cable of 16-8 would in theory be undersized for this light, are people still doing this anyway? Rigid recommended a 14 or 16 wire for it. Usually for 18.5 amps you would want at least a 12 AWG wire.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Have you called Rigid for clarity? Anytime I have a wiring issue I call baja designs and ask for help. They usually have the solution right away

2.ooohhh

That's a pretty stout lightbar , I rarely run anything that big. I've found it both easier to wire and more useful to run smaller pairs of led lights similar to d-series cubes or my recent favorite for forward facing cubes the feniex industries AI cubes. In my smaller setups I build harness utilizing wire from aircraft spruce. I can typically run my cubes on 22 gauge in less used spaces and 20 gauge in more frequently used lights with the AI cubes on 18 gauge because they draw slightly higher amperage and run for hours at a time. Each cube is wired individually both for redundancy and to allow some of them to interface with my already integrated emergency lighting for work.

I would likely run that bar you are looking at with 16 gauge but keep in mind that's top notch wire that actually meets spec not whatever garbage amazon is hocking as "automotive primary wire". I will say rigid's optional harnesses are using decent wiring that works well for their typical applications, though I think they could still be better.(but would likely cost more than their typical customer would like)

Remember the 16g is only from your relay/power source to the bar. All the circuit control wiring can be 22 gauge.

Actually looking at the switch pro install docs I'd just put the bar on one of the first 4 switches and use their supplied 14 gauge

Last edited:

unsung

Have you called Rigid for clarity? Anytime I have a wiring issue I call baja designs and ask for help. They usually have the solution right away

Rigid recommended a 14 or 16 wire size through email. I was just looking for verification as this goes against my previous electrical experience.

unsung

That's a pretty stout lightbar , I rarely run anything that big. I've found it both easier to wire and more useful to run smaller pairs of led lights similar to d-series cubes or my recent favorite for forward facing cubes the feniex industries AI cubes. In my smaller setups I build harness utilizing wire from aircraft spruce. I can typically run my cubes on 22 gauge in less used spaces and 20 gauge in more frequently used lights with the AI cubes on 18 gauge because they draw slightly higher amperage and run for hours at a time. Each cube is wired individually both for redundancy and to allow some of them to interface with my already integrated emergency lighting for work.

I would likely run that bar you are looking at with 16 gauge but keep in mind that's top notch wire that actually meets spec not whatever garbage amazon is hocking as "automotive primary wire". I will say rigid's optional harnesses are using decent wiring that works well for their typical applications, though I think they could still be better.(but would likely cost more than their typical customer would like)

I was going to buy the wire from Digikey, already ordered the Deutsch connectors from them. The wire is on hold until I can be sure I am ordering the correct material. I was looking at either 16-8 or 16-9 as the 9 conductor is easier to find in stock. I will be using four switches, one for each direction.

2.ooohhh

Digikey is a solid supplier, though they carry lots of wire I consider sub par for exterior automotive use they are honest about ratings, certifications, and jacket material and they do also carry some better options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles