Roof Rack Install Question

denver6161

Just installed a new Front Runner Slimline 2 on my 2006 LR3. I previously had the short factory roof rails and had to remove them to install the new rack. This leaves the roof rails exposed without weather stripping. The weatherstripping/ditch moulding from the windshield back to the sunroof is still installed. Does anyone have any experience with leaving the weather stripping off and just mounting the roof rack with the area open to the elements? Or do most people buy a replacement weather strip and cutting it to fit around the rack platform? Just looking for opinions or some advice. TYIA.

Rufflyer

Yes. I have put the Frontrunner full length slimline II on several Rovers. If you removed the factory rails, just bolt the feet directly to the top of the LR3. If you notice, the seam is sealed and painted. Leave the front one that heads to the windshield on. I did take mine off and found debris had collected near the windshield, so the factory covers are not THAT weather proof anyway. If you have a Rover with no rails, you can just cut the moulding in front of the mounting hole and leave it in place as it runs to the windshield.

This advice is if you are using the LR3 mounting system that comes for Frontrunner.

Hope this helps

Jeff

teleskier

Anyone have a part number for the factory seal up there? I am converting from a long factory to short factory so I can add a rack - they all require short rails. I may need to patch a few things up and that strip

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have had a FR roof rack for several years, removed the stock cover for the roof rails and did not put anything on except the rack. No issue with things getting caught in the slots.

Silmarillion

Observer
Yes. I have put the Frontrunner full length slimline II on several Rovers. If you removed the factory rails, just bolt the feet directly to the top of the LR3. If you notice, the seam is sealed and painted. Leave the front one that heads to the windshield on. I did take mine off and found debris had collected near the windshield, so the factory covers are not THAT weather proof anyway. If you have a Rover with no rails, you can just cut the moulding in front of the mounting hole and leave it in place as it runs to the windshield.

This advice is if you are using the LR3 mounting system that comes for Frontrunner.

Hope this helps

Jeff

I did exactly this in 2014 and it has been problem free since then. Parked outside for many years in that period too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94