Roof Rack for a RTT

MtnToSea

Observer
I have a 2014 JKU Rubicon and am considering a roof top tent. What rack do you recommend and way. Thanks in advance for your help.

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Hard top? Soft top? If a hard top I like my Teraflex Nebo. I do not like the exo cage style and like something as unobtrusive as possible. I like the Rhino Rack stuff too, but was more expensive.

All that being said the tent now resides on my trailer more than the Jeep.

Attachments

• Heckler1.jpg
    Heckler1.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 57
  • colorado jeep.jpg
    colorado jeep.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 53

MtnToSea

Observer
Thanks for the response, I have a hard top. I do have a teardrop for trips where I'm setting up a base camp. The reason I'm thinking of a RTT is for trips where I'm moving almost every day and/or don't really want to tow the trailer. Also my grandkids are getting to the age I can take them camping, so between the teardrop and a RTT we have sleeping covered.

fullsizeoutput_d15.jpeg

Vendish

I second the Nebo rack. I actually got it based on SoDakSooner's recommendation a while back.
I looked at all the various alternatives, and went with it because it's far cheaper, looks like it is stock, has a way higher weight capacity (850 static I believe). My other choice was the Gobi Stealth, and decided against it because a buddy told stories of the rack loosening and hitting the hardtop when used offroad a lot, the cost, and the nebo shipped in a day, rather than the 6 week lead that the Gobi has.

If you can get over the fear of drilling through your hardtop, the Nebo is a great option. IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

MtnToSea

Observer
Thanks for the recommendation and the pictures. I guess I need to rethink my fear of drilling holes in the roof.

Vendish

I suppose the only other consideration is that the "rack" doesn't work when the hardtop is off.

The brackets that connect to the roll bar are stout, and I'll be making a quick and easy rack that connects to them when I go topless. I actually prefer it that way.

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Thats my plan too Vendish. I have a bunch of 1" square tube for my trailer project. Am going to cut some of it to length and drill a few holes. Should make a decent enough quick rack for when the top is off.

Yuke

Adventurer
Frontrunner is hands down the best solution out there in my opinion. Lightweight aluminum construction, and the slats all have t-slots built in which makes adding gear super easy. My previous gobi rack as a nightmare when it came to quick gear changes. They make accessories for just about anything you could dream of mounting on the rack. I love the quick disconnects they have for the rtt. I can have my tent off in a matter of seconds.

If you need help on purchase, PM me I can help from a dealer perspective on most brands.

The teraflex is a nice unit, but its no where near as flexible when it comes to mounting solutions as well as rack space.

Vendish

I looked at the Frontrunner as well, and while I like the fact that it's more of a full roof rack that looks more rugged, it was over double the cost of the Nebo and has an advertised weight capacity of 660lbs (Nebo is 800).

I think in the end it really comes down to personal preference. Unless you go with some of the obviously lower quality brands, you're going to end up with a decent outcome. Just pick the one that fits your wallet and needs most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles