Roof Rack Flooring

Reata Rover

Adventurer
Ant suggestions on material and where to get it? I have seen some that is fairly dense, which is what I am looking for, but it is a mesh of some sort.

Thanks,

pnorvell

Adventurer
I second Farmtek. Had it for more than a year now and looks the exact same. Just get really beefy/thick zip ties. Normal ones will fall apart after a couple of months.

Peter

Reata Rover

Adventurer
How hard is to cut that stuff, and how much distance can there be between supports? I am trying to span soem Thule load bars, rather than it actaully being in a basket or a roof rack.

pnorvell

Adventurer
How hard is to cut that stuff, and how much distance can there be between supports? I am trying to span soem Thule load bars, rather than it actaully being in a basket or a roof rack.

I would go with another product. Maybe marine grade plywood, sheet metal, etc etc.

Just get a Hannibal! Then you don't have to worry about flooring...

Problem solved!!

EZ to cut, not strong enough to span load bars. If you have a basket with widely spaced bars( +-16") you'de be okay. Kennel floor deflects too much otherwise.

What he said

Reata Rover

Adventurer
Here is the drill. I have the Maggiolina Airland spanning three Thule Load bars. The load bars around about 20 inches apart. I have enough room on either side of the tent to store a couple of Wedco's. These will weigh in at around 20-30 pounds each when full of fuel. Now that I am thinking about this, I think the answer is the marine grade plywood; relatively cheap, easy to install, can be removed after my expedition, easy to mount the wedco holders to it.

Thanks for the loan of the 'big brains', sometimes, I have to just bounce stuff off to help me think it through. I really appreciate it.

I love this site!!:coffeedrink:

the farmtek stuff is very easy to cut, not enough to span a large gap. Three pieces are needed to cover the flat floor section, order a fourth piece to cover the angled section. Notching the front piece to slip around the front rack posts provide a slicker fit. Think before cutting, maximize the sides that will still interlock.

Last edited:

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
You could use the cheap(ish) bridging ladders mentioned in Recovery Gear section as flooring. That would be durable and relatively light, as well as serving as a recovery tool. You'd have to unload the rack to use them, but I love dual-purpose gear. Just a thought.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
re-Farmtek

do you guys get the interlocking or non interlocking ?

Get the interlocking and you will lock the 2 long pieces with the short piece... all touching sides will lock, super light and simple to use.

I used hose clamps and a roof top tent with sand ladders to secure it to the rack.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
You must know TDESANTO, he already hit me up for the leftovers.....not really, he suggested we go in together and buy some....

LOL, Scavengers!

That is an excellent idea. Go in together and purchase the appropriate amount.

But as others said it does deflect so you may look into the Starboard XL...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94