Roof Rack Flooring Using Red Wood Composite Construction

maxingout

Adventurer
I spent a couple of weeks deciding what I wanted to use for flooring on my Brownchurch roof rack. I read through all the threads and considered all options. I really wasn't happy with any of the options as they all are a compromise. Some flooring is too heavy, some split/check, some require protective coatings, some are not UV resistant, some last only a few years before they need to be replaced.

Good flooring that lasts for years can be expensive and relatively high maintenance. I wanted low maintenance, low weight, good strength, and low price. I decide to do an experiment with composite flooring that does not require coatings, has moderate strength, does not check, and is supposed to last for many years, and is relatively cheap. In about five years I will know whether I made the right choice.

I went to Home Depot and purchased "Composite Pickets" that are fake red wood. Each picket is only $3.77, and so the twenty four slats required for the roof rack cost $90.48. The price was right for the experiment. I countersunk stainless steel sheet metal screws, and I also ran slats down the sides of the rack to provide additional floor support and to tie things together a bit more.

Here are the results. It will be interesting to see what it looks like in five years. If I break a slat, it will only cost $3.77 to replace it.

Roof-Rack-1.jpg

Overall result getting ready to test drive and blow off all the swarth in the roof gutter.

Roof-Rack-2.jpg

Eight countersunk screws per slat.

Roof-Rack-3.jpg

Jerry can holder in the back.

Roof-Rack-4.jpg

Close up of fake red wood composite slats.

Roof-Rack-5.jpg

Underside view with side supporting slats.

Roof-Rack-6.jpg

Underside with supporting slats.

Roof-Rack-7.jpg

View of composite slats on side of roof rack.

It will be interesting to see how it stands up to rough use. We tested it by having two 200 lb people walk around on top, and one person slept overnight on the roof rack.

I hope it is durable long term. I will make a report in a couple of years.

Defender-Roof-Rack-3.jpg

For those interested, the one year old Brownchurch rack is still for sale at $200 for pick up in Phoenix.

Last edited:

Xterabl

Adventurer
Interesting. Certainly looks nice.
What does the mfr say about water resilience of the flooring slats?

jessejman

Adventurer
Interesting solution. I have been looking for the same sort of thing for my roof rack. I was going down the more expensive route of Cumaru or Ipe but the weight and cost are big issues for me. I bet that the Home D's don't stock that product on the East Coast. Red wood is mainly a West Coast product.

Let us know how it performs. If it's anything like the composite deck boards (Trex) it should hold up well.

Jesse

maxingout

Adventurer
Interesting. Certainly looks nice.
What does the mfr say about water resilience of the flooring slats?

The manufacturer states it has a twenty year limited warranty. It must have some UV resistance with that sort of claim. I have no idea how the strength degrades over time. The steel lattice work on the Brownchurch rack is such that there is reasonable support for the composite slats. I also do the rack loading so that the heavy stuff is placed around the edges where stress on the slats will be minimal. The area of the jerry can mounts has additional steel reinforcement. It is an interesting experiment that is relatively inexpensive. If it doesn't work out, I won't be a very expensive mistake.

maxingout

Adventurer
Interesting solution. I have been looking for the same sort of thing for my roof rack. I was going down the more expensive route of Cumaru or Ipe but the weight and cost are big issues for me. I bet that the Home D's don't stock that product on the East Coast. Red wood is mainly a West Coast product.

Let us know how it performs. If it's anything like the composite deck boards (Trex) it should hold up well.

Jesse

The composite is made up of recycled wood fiber and recycled plastic. I guess that makes it a green solution as well. They have the slats at both Lowes and Home Depot. I doubt that there is actually any Redwood in this product at all. It is a simulated Redwood.

fullybalanced

Too many plans, not enough time
I gotta say I thought that was the stupidist idea I ever heard and only read the post for a laugh.... However, I think it looks great. I'm very familiar with the product you used and theoretcially, those slats should outlive the truck.

I have no idea what made you come up with this hair-brain scheme, but IT'S BRILLIANT!!! Kudos to you bother.

maxingout

Adventurer
I gotta say I thought that was the stupidist idea I ever heard and only read the post for a laugh.... However, I think it looks great. I'm very familiar with the product you used and theoretcially, those slats should outlive the truck.

I have no idea what made you come up with this hair-brain scheme, but IT'S BRILLIANT!!! Kudos to you bother.

I have got to admit I was skeptical about using it at first, so I took some slats and tested them to destruction. I drilled near the end to see if they would split. I checked whether I could countersink without making a problem. I screwed the slats together and tried to shear them apart. The only way I could break them with arm strength was to pry srewed slats apart, and then I was able to break them at the screws. The types of stresses that I place on roof rack floors is such that I think I have at least a 90% chance that the design will be ok for at least a couple of years. If I am wrong in my assessment, it is not that big of a mistake. I will come up with plan B if that happens.

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
wow love it ....i may have to copy ya with a homemade rack i built for my fj .....reminds me of the old vw buses .....the comp will last a long time have done may deck with similar products ...great idea ...

maxingout

Adventurer
IMG_6277.JPG

This is the appearance of the roof rack after four years of use. The composite slats stood up to the Arizona sun without splitting or breaking. So far so good in terms of durability.

4xdog

Explorer
I've thought about your rack project more than once over those four years, maxingout, and although I haven't copied it (yet), it's one of the neatest racks out there. Thanks for the update.

rayra

Expedition Leader
That still looks great after 4 years. I've got a pool cover box that I have to refinish about every 1-1/2yrs in the SoCal weather. I've been considering resurfacing it with this composite stuff. The coloration of yours still looks great. Regular redwood would be bleached gray in a year+ in AZ.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
How impressive of you to follow up with the long-term report. I thought it was a good idea at first, and now it seems a great idea which any of us can readily make use of. Thanks.

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Wow, impressed more than a lot. I live on Vancouver Island and wood just doesnt' stand up to the moist damp air. I might have to
really give these a try. Thanks for posting a 4 yr update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne