Roof Rack dilemna

Scott Brady

Founder
Since these posts seem to be degrading into semantics, I am going to summarize my opinion on this subject here. Take my thoughts for what they are worth and form your own opinion. These are only suggestions based on my experiences.

1. Use the correct vehicle: Purchase a vehicle appropriate to your number of occupants and expected equipment. The Discovery I really is a small truck, and would be hard to load for four people on a long trip. Consider a larger vehicle like a RRC LWB, Defender 110, Land Cruiser 80/100, etc.

2. Pack lightweight and compact: Consider using products that nest well together and pack into systems. Snow Peak stuff is great for that, as is GSI. Use bedding that can compress like down sleeping bags and pillows. Use inflatable pads. Remove packaging if possible. Consolidate tools into tool rolls, etc. Think like a backpacker and it is amazing how small the kit ends up being. Remember, people ride around the world with the contents that can fit in the panniers of a motorcycle.

3. Get the weight down low: Work hard to get the heavy items down low. Install fuel tanks and water tanks at the frame level. Consider a footwell water tank, like the one from FrontRunner, which fits in the rear passenger footwell, getting the weight forward and low. Pack tools and recovery gear low. Put tools in tool rolls under the front seats if possible.

If at that point, you still have items that do not fit in the vehicle, a roof rack or trailer may be necessary.

Just the roof rack: I have always been pretty resistant to installing roof racks, but a few very valid arguments were made to me to the contrary. These are not my ideas, but I consider them compelling.
1. Photography/observation platform (Sinuhe)
2. Reserve capacity (John): Space and lashing point for the contents of another vehicle or for storing firewood or short-term loads.
3. Roof slider (Jack): Protect the expensive roof sheet metal with a replaceable or repairable rack. Solid idea.

So, I am all behind the idea of having an empty roof rack on the vehicle and will probably consider it for some of my vehicles. The weight can be limited with lightweight units and by putting other weight down low, below the pre-rack COG.

Trailer: I prefer using a trailer if I need a lot of additional space or several hundred pounds of additional equipment for a larger team or with a small vehicle. We needed to do that in the Arctic, to carry all of the required spares, safety equipment and filming/photography equipment. It takes weight off the tow vehicle and keeps the COG low. You can drop and then winch the trailer if needed. With trailer brakes, you can manage any "pushing" effect of the trailer. Of course, the trailer becomes a compromise on loose, technical climbs, as the wheels of the trailer do not drive. The trailer also allows use of a RTT (which are an advantage in comfort and convenience), all while keeping the COG low and staying under GVWR. Sometimes a trailer is the only solution available to a family of 4-5.

Rack with a load: If you must put a load on the roof (and all the options above are exhausted) go with light, bulky items and position them as far forward as possible. On a vehicle with long-travel coil suspension and a narrow track (like a Disco 1), keep the weight conservative. I have found roof loads of 100-120lbs. to be manageable with an experienced driver. On wider/more stable vehicles, this weight can increase slightly to the 150 range. Again, go with your gut. That heavy roof load is going to start to feel wrong on the road and trail and require much more driver input and slower speeds. Use this as your gauge and think about what might happen if you need to swerve to avoid a child somewhere in Uganda - yard sale.

Roof Tent: If you install a roof tent, consider doing so with the most simple and lightweight rack configuration possible and avoid additional items. Try to go with the smallest size and lightest weight RTT possible.

Variables and additional thoughts:
1. Driver Experience: The more experience the driver has, the better that person can manage a vehicle with a higher COG and anticipate and respond to hazards. This applies both to the trail and an emergency lane change on the highway. Be honest about your experience as a driver. The less experience, the more you should be conservative about roof load.
2. Greg brought up an interesting and valid point. Try to make sure your roof load is removable, if possible. This would allow emptying the roof at some odd crux in a road or trail, where you can carry the heavy items past the crux and then reload on the other side.
3. Understand that the additional weight will compromise stability on the trail on cambered slopes and when climbing ledges at an angle or when cross-axle. Avoid or scout technical, abandoned or heavily eroded routes. It just means that when you have a heavy roof load, your road speeds should go down, you should be more conservative in traffic and give lots of space to other vehicles when on highways. Think about what would happen if you needed to swerve suddenly, or dropped a tire off of MEX1 at 55 mph.

The reality is that when the route is conservative, people rarely have an issue with a heavy roof load. If you read the "flop" stories in this thread, they are all on more technical routes or on slippery/eroded terrain.

I prefer to avoid a heavy roof load because of my travel priorities, driving style and the fact that many of the routes I travel are completely unknown and often abandoned. And in all fairness, I am often traveling alone or with just Stephanie, so we have a lot more room available in our vehicles than a family of four.

Like I have said from the beginning - it is all a compromise. :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

Explorer
I've also been known to head into Mexico with 80 liters of fuel (~120 lbs) and 40 liters of water (~80 lbs) and spare tire on my roof. I fully understand the change in vehicle dynamics and realize the risks and still choose the compromise of having it on my roof. Why would I do such an unsafe thing?

I would much rather build a larger fuel tank, add a lowered water tank and put the spare underneath, or on a swing out carrier than deal with 250lbs on the roof.

I don't think its possible for everyone to see eye to eye on this.

People that crave good vehicle handling will never concede, just like the people that drive big soft luxury cars will never understand why somebody would risk chipping their teeth in a lotus elise.

Given that the auto market hardly offers anything thats good at handling or agility, it stands to reason that not many people are passionate about how a vehicle "feels".

To be honest I think many racks (not all) and the things that adorn them exist because of the cool factor.

None of us can say that we are not effected by how things look, or that we have No desire to impress. Its in there deep down somewhere.

I think its reasonable to say that racks are ok for the option, of loading in unusual circumstances, but permanent loading is a sign that the vehicle has become a square peg in a round hole.

Last edited:

Teamjeff

Observer
I recently had the chance to tour a proving ground facility and there just happened to be some LR3's (could have been 4's?) doing some evasive maneuver testing with multiple water tanks strapped to the roof, my guess is somewhere around 40-50 gallons. It was enough weight bottom the front suspension while negotiating the slalom. It looked like they should tip, but they didn't. Very cool to see the electronic nannys bring things in line! That said, I will still load my vehicle with the heaviest gear down as low as possible - thats common sense. Better safe than sorry, I don't want some yahoo overloading their vehicle and causing an accident on the highway & I wouldn't want to endanger anyone by making the same mistake myself. Great thread btw!

Crookthumb

Adventurer
Don't always assume that height is associated with instability and high COG.

In the case of the EarthRoamer Jeep, it was designed to have the same COG as a JK Unlimited with the same lift and without a roof load. This was accomplished with lightweight camper materials and by placing heavy items very low on the vehicle. For example, there is 200lbs. of batteries and skid plates at the frame level and the water is stored at the level of the footwells.

So what you are saying is the EarthRoamer XV-JP is as stable as the Overland JK, and has an equal COG? Making it safe for off road adventures.

There is no way that the weight that is being added to the top of the EarthRoamer XV-JP is lighter than a roof rack and gear or RTT.

img_82471020710033_std.jpg

So by the addition of a roof rack and gear or RTT that will raise the COG, one can still be safe and stable by adding rocker guards, HD bumpers, a winch, diff guards, skid plates, and extra battery(ies) things that will lower the COG. Thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited:

SeaRubi

Explorer
I should have realized it sooner. . . New Years + Alcohol = Internet Ranting :elkgrin:

Happy New Years.

:hehe::elkgrin: Ohhhh damn does my head hurt today! Bourbon, red wine, a 750ml bottle of Piraat Ale, and champagne are wreaking havoc after I have wreaked mine.

Back to this issue of refrigeration - I see now I could have more accurately stated that it is a requirement for Ben. :sombrero: Ben, that is some tasty looking fish you have there. Why on earth would you make the statement that a 'fridge is a requirement?

I am with Ben on this one. A fridge rocks.

Rocks = luxury. Refrigeration is a convenience, not a requirement. This is a very old debate in the sailing community. There are still thousands of people who get along just fine for weeks at a time out to sea without refrigeration.

Cured meats, freeze dried foods, and canning were all invented to preserve, stow, and transport foods with shelf lives of several months without spoiling. Just like equipment, the foods that are selected can be luxuries, too. You don't need round steak for dinner each night to survive. Ditto for things like fresh milk. I'm not pretending that those things don't make for a more pleasant experience, but they're not a requirement.

cheers,
-ike :chef:

benlittle

Adventurer
Ben, that is some tasty looking fish you have there. Why on earth would you make the statement that a 'fridge is a requirement?

Well I'm defining requirement in this case as.......... Having a sloshing cooler in my truck for days on end sucks.

I keep my fridge in my truck almost all summer. I mountain bike a few times a week and regularly keep gatoraid and water in it.

We're also talking about apples and oranges here. When backpacking I only eat freeze dried food and fish that I've caught. That's part of the experience. Just like making a sandwich with cold/ fresh ingredients is while on the trail.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior