Roof protection from tree branches

Misue

Hi, I would like to have some ideas on how to protect my TC roof when driving through tree branches so it does not tear something or damage the roof, something that woul make it slide along the TC. I am thinking of a light weight tubular, ABS tubing or aluminum or else to run along the side / top of the roof. The rear portion could be attached to the rear roof rack and the front scewed in the fiberglass cap.

I drove a lot in Mexico where you have to be very carefull not to tear the awning or something else, especially going off road in the jungle. Photo is an expedition bus from Mahahual Mexico, the set up is more for the look as they would not go very far, but I tought it was an eye catcher and a very good "Expedtion Adventure" advertising.

Thanks

Attachments

• 121975717_412329879785996_6678358782025789660_n.jpg
    121975717_412329879785996_6678358782025789660_n.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 72

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Misue,
The best way to drive your truck camper through trees and taller bushes is to make it as narrow as possible and not tall with no extras on the roof or stuff hanging on the sides. So, no air conditioner. No awnings. No Max Trax. No canoe. No roof top bag of too much stuff.
What about solar panels you ask? Keep them inboard as much as possible. With two 100 watt solar panels on my now gone Lance Lite 165-s, I had to pick a spot for exposure of the 2nd panel. I kept the roof on the driver's side free of obstructions, like the panel, because you could see the trees coming and make a decision as to where you were to place the TC to get around.
The most injurious trip I've been on with our new Northstar Laredo SC was in the Inyo mountains in California. It was a very tight jeep trail and we had to remove many branches of Pinion trees just to keep from destroying the new camper. I wrote a TR about this on here with a link.
I planned on taking my small gas chainsaw along, but my son needed it so i substituted a very sharp bow saw to take along. Day after day we trimmed Pinion trees just to get by. Also, for some of the most egregious branches I used my winch to simply pull the offending appendages down. We move the broken limbs well off the main trall. I don't ever want to do that again. We were days in and too late before it dawned on us to turn around. I'm with Ben above: I'll take a telescoping manual tree saw if I ever think I'll be in this position again.

I've seen some giant Euro off-road RV's with those deflector bars, but I'm not sure anyone with a $500K motor home would want subject their rigs to that kind of abuse. It's mostly for what I call, "Expedition Eye Candy": Looks good but worthless in real life.
The most important thing is your talent and experience in driving in the rough.
From what I've seen traveling in Mexico or Sud Amerika, the big, two axle box trucks keep the clearance of trees at bay. If you are narrower and less tall than they are, you are good to go. If, in the end you still want to go way into, say the Darien Gap, rent a Jeep.
Here are some pix. The first is our current truck camper for so-called expedition use. That means it 'looks like' it will be effective in the rough.
the next two are of us winching a large branch out of the way.
The last is after a snow storm trying to get down Shadow Mountain near The Grand Tetons with leaves still on the Aspens.
jefe

#10-Approach, breakover and departure angles.jpgthumb_DSCN2668_1024.jpgthumb_DSCN2669_1024.jpgthumb_DSCN2825_1024.jpg

billiebob

smooth lines are all it takes. if you add on stuff like racks, lights, awnings you are doing it wrong. keep it clean. ABS plumbing pipe is likely a poor choice. welded aluminium tube sounds expensive. the bus picture looks silly. the lights kinda lose any advantage and what is protecting the middle of the roof as stated do not add anything to the roof be it AC or canoes

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
.....aaahh.....I just replace what I rip-off/damage......sounds kinda silly I know but its kinda the cost of wheeling an rv off-road. The worst I've ever experienced has been some scratches, dents and a couple of bathroom vent stack caps ripped off so I'm not sure it would be worth the time, effort, risk of roof damage and expense to rig up some limb raisers on the roof.
0CC5071D-0A6B-4C6D-B39B-BF326417AACF.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles