Roof Hatch Recommendations?

erstwild

I am going to be converting an insulated SpaceKap Diablo to a camper in the Fall. One thing on my wish list is to install a roof hatch for the view, airflow, cleaning, access to solar panels and roof fan for adjustments/repair, and as an escape hatch (lol). Anyone have any recommendations for nice large solid units?

javajoe79

Fabricator
I’m using 2 marine hatches made by gebo. Found them on a marine supply website. They came with a combination screen/shade that installs below them.

thebigblue

Adventurer
I also use marine skylights, but note that some "normal" RV-style hatches will be rain-proof while open (not full off-course but slightly) due to the "dome" construction ...

erstwild

Thanks for all the suggestions! It does seem like the marine hatches are probably the best option. Does anyone have any recommendations for one that is not a skylight and that can full open 180 degrees? I'm looking for an all metal hatch with a sturdy internal lock ideally.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
In Holland Outbound produce roof hatches that are really low profile, have an optional security cover and are double glazed. If it's not insulated condensation will drip. :)

erstwild

In Holland Outbound produce roof hatches that are really low profile, have an optional security cover and are double glazed. If it's not insulated condensation will drip. :)

Wow, those look great! Insulation is key as always. Expensive but I think these are the best around. As long as the can lock with a simple latch on the inside, I'll go with these.

reddrum

Late to this, but if you have not done it yet...

I put one of these in an Eagle Cap 1160 to replace the Heki II junk and I love it! It is a marine hatch. I got it from Ebay, but there are online sellers as well.

• Manufacturer: Maxwell Vetus
  • Part#: WHO62S
  • Material(s): Anodized Aluminum
  • Color(s): Silver, Gray, Smoke
  • Tint: Smoke
  • Flange: 1"
  • Opening Dimensions: 23 3/4" W x 23 3/4" D
  • Cutout: 24 11/16" W x 24 11/16" D
  • Overall Dimensions: 26 3/4" W x 26 3/4" D
  • Height Above: 1 5/8"
  • Mount(s): (18) 3/16" diameter holes

Forum statistics