Roof double wall question. Gap between steel panels?

Scott Brady

Founder
Hey all. I am installing my drop down VGA navigation/computer screen in the ceiling, and need to know how much space there is between the two roof panels. The roof is double wall, and I don't know the gap to allow for the screws.

Someone that has drilled for a roof mounted CB antenne would know.

Thanks so much! :wavey:

Attachments

• DSC_0319.jpg
    DSC_0319.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0327.jpg
    DSC_0327.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    583.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 0

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Hmm is it double on the roof? On my reg cab it is single as far as I can tell. Guess they do it different on the D-cab. Are you talking about where the suppot pillars run across the roof?

Scott Brady

Founder
I am pretty sure the entire roof is double wall, but the two panels run closest towards the midline.

But I could always be mistaken... If that is the case, I am going to have to weld nuts up there... More work... :smilies27

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
expeditionswest said:
I am pretty sure the entire roof is double wall, but the two panels run closest towards the midline.

But I could always be mistaken... If that is the case, I am going to have to weld nuts up there... More work... :smilies27

Talk to Got Cope over at TTORA's national boar. He has a CB mounted to the roof of his TACO he would know, IF not MIKE or AK TACO would know.

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
Scott,
My 2000 Tacoma is single thickness roof with metal ribbing & interior liner. My antenna is mounted close to the interior dome light which I removed for working access.

Scott Brady

Founder
Thanks Al, that is helpful.

I think this is going to be a bigger job than expected :Wow1: Oh well, most of them seem to go this way.

flyingwil

Scott-
If it is a single wall roof, you might be able to mount it by using some exopy or JB weld to adhere some nuts to the roof. I am sure that a tack weld would burn the white paint on the other side of the roof, but hey who sees the roof anyways?

Another option to mount the monitor might be to fabricate a bracket using the existing screw holes for the visors, and rearview mirror/light assembly, and the over head lights assembly aand make your own double wall.

(I am assuming you are puting it up in the location of the rearview mirror location.) Just some ideas which I am sure you have thought of.

I am looking into a visor option to put on my list of mods, but am not sure if I want to block the view a head. My other option I have been playing with is in the stock radio location, either double din or a single din flip up. But hey its down the road a ways.

Well let us know what you come up with... I am sure interested in this one!

Wil

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Scott, I have a link that may help - but the page is no longer around, so I found it using the wayback machine.

Ronn's monitor install on a 1998 Xcab Tacoma.
Give it a try. If some of the pics time-out and do not load, right click on them and "show picture" - I got some to work that way. It looks like Ronn actually welded some bracketry to the OEM framing to make it work. (He also mounted a VCR to the rear ceiling)

flyingwil

flyingwil said:
Scott did you see this post over on TTORA? IT might help you out..

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showpost.php?p=197191&postcount=12

I am also sure that there has to be one guy over at custom Tacos that has done this too... might want to post up over there and see if they give you some good feedback. Some of them install these thing for a living.

Disregard, based on your reply to that post, I take it you saw it!

Attachments

• IMG_2938.gif
    IMG_2938.gif
    96.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 055 (2).jpg
    Picture 055 (2).jpg