Roof coating on new plywood

smritte

Planning out the roof on my new build. I would like to use the rubberized roof coating for a variety of reasons. What I see is EPDM should be the way to go. Spreads on nicely, self leveling, reflects heat, flex's and is water proof. Everything I want.
The problem is this, all of the manufactures sites tell me how to prep and install, none talk about applying on new plywood. They go into detail on coating an existing pre coated roof. I've tried to reach out to three different companies and have gotten no response. My questions are does it have to be primed or sealed first. If so, what type of primer or product.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this?

billiebob

Planning out the roof on my new build. I would like to use the rubberized roof coating for a variety of reasons. What I see is EPDM should be the way to go. Spreads on nicely, self leveling, reflects heat, flex's and is water proof. Everything I want.
The problem is this, all of the manufactures sites tell me how to prep and install, none talk about applying on new plywood. They go into detail on coating an existing pre coated roof. I've tried to reach out to three different companies and have gotten no response. My questions are does it have to be primed or sealed first. If so, what type of primer or product.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this?
You can buy plywood primed ready for the coating.
Regarding the lack of response, many businesses are running with skeleton staffing as many employees are opting to stay home and straighten the curve. Here in BC we are slowly opening back up but most orders I place are 3-6 weeks out for products which used to ship same day.

old_CWO

Coat the plywood in 2 part epoxy like West System (or others) before gluing down the EPDM. If you get a good seal on the edges it will probably last forever.

VincentBowman

I applied the Dicor rubber roof coating on my 2005 Fleetwood Fifth Wheel, and I’m impressed with how easy it is to use. The application is easier than painting my room walls. The flow is good, and the consistency isn’t sticky.

Last edited:

scottswierenga

I am 2 steps away from doing the same thing for my trailer, except the rubber coating is going under my trailer body. I bought the Duck Coat brand elastomeric roof coating. My gallon can specifically says it can be painted onto wood once any loose materials (chips, splinters, etc) and dust are removed.

Alloy

If the roof isn't visible from the ground then I go with 100% silicone roof coating because the stuff looks like hell.

If the roof is visable then I'd used a commercial TPO or PVC sheet....might even be able to find a commercial applicator to put it on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles