Roof coating on new plywood

smritte

Planning out the roof on my new build. I would like to use the rubberized roof coating for a variety of reasons. What I see is EPDM should be the way to go. Spreads on nicely, self leveling, reflects heat, flex's and is water proof. Everything I want.
The problem is this, all of the manufactures sites tell me how to prep and install, none talk about applying on new plywood. They go into detail on coating an existing pre coated roof. I've tried to reach out to three different companies and have gotten no response. My questions are does it have to be primed or sealed first. If so, what type of primer or product.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this?

billiebob

My Uncle drove a government issued Jeep in Europe
Planning out the roof on my new build. I would like to use the rubberized roof coating for a variety of reasons. What I see is EPDM should be the way to go. Spreads on nicely, self leveling, reflects heat, flex's and is water proof. Everything I want.
The problem is this, all of the manufactures sites tell me how to prep and install, none talk about applying on new plywood. They go into detail on coating an existing pre coated roof. I've tried to reach out to three different companies and have gotten no response. My questions are does it have to be primed or sealed first. If so, what type of primer or product.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this?
You can buy plywood primed ready for the coating.
Regarding the lack of response, many businesses are running with skeleton staffing as many employees are opting to stay home and straighten the curve. Here in BC we are slowly opening back up but most orders I place are 3-6 weeks out for products which used to ship same day.

Verkstad

Raggarkung
I used sheet EPDM roofing. With a notched trowel, its glued down using adhesive whats intended for it.
The sheet simply folds over to extend down the wall about 100mm.
Where the rubber stops, I flared it away from the wall about 10mm to become a drip edge of sorts. When parked level, Much of the water will drip off rather than running down the wall surface.
That stuff was a freebie scrap from a commercial roofing buddy. I was not going to complain. But I would prefered TPO sheet roofing.
TPO is vinyl product whats more slippery, wont collect dirt as much, joints or repairs are glued or welded in. EPDM joints & repairs must be glued.

If you want a painted on coating, Gaco Roof is pretty good stuff.
I think its a rubber silicone of some kind.
At my triplex building I used it on a plywood deck what is above a finished living space. Several years now its been fine.

Last edited:

Recommended books for Overlanding

Don't Go There. It's Not Safe. You'll Die.: And other mor...
by Jared McCaffree, Jessica Mans, Kobus Mans
From $19.99
The Longest Line on the Map: The United States, the Pan-A...
by Eric Rutkow
From $13.39
Morocco Overland: A Route & Planning Guide - Southern Mor...
by Chris Scott
From $18.03
Tortillas to Totems (Every day an Adventure Book 4)
by Sam Manicom
From $9.99

old_CWO

Coat the plywood in 2 part epoxy like West System (or others) before gluing down the EPDM. If you get a good seal on the edges it will probably last forever.