Rokon motorcyles

Rokontom

I bought an 02 Rokon with the Kohler 6.5HP engine. It was basically a generator and pressure washer motor with a terrible carb and little power. I loved it but it was lacking umph and throttle response. I found out that the Yamaha 200cc cart racing engine used the same block. Burris Racing developed the Yamaha 200cc cart racing program so I teamed up with them and developed a Rokon motor based on the Yamaha. We developed a cam, port work and a custom carb to go with the bigger bore and large valved Yamaha motor. Now we have a silky smooth 12hp engine that will snap to life when you need it like at the bottom of a ravine. I am finishing details on carb linkage this week and hope to have them for sale in a couple of weeks. These will only fit the Kohler bikes. If anybody is interested then let me know.
View attachment 27340
Thise things go anywhere!
Are these engines available still? I'm looking for one for my 2012 trailbreaker.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Are these engines available still? I'm looking for one for my 2012 trailbreaker.
No. People started using the Harbor Freight Preditor motors. They are super cheap and mods for them are out there. A bigger carb on yours give it a nice boost.

Rokontom

Thanks. Is there a carb that comes to mind that would be good? Is it just a carb for say a 7 or 8 horse engine? Thanks for the info in advance.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Thanks. Is there a carb that comes to mind that would be good? Is it just a carb for say a 7 or 8 horse engine? Thanks for the info in advance.

There are offset flywheel keys available that will advance your timing. Burris used to have them but Im not sure if the 6.5 and 7 hp differences. The carb trick is to get one that fits your studs then working out an air filter cup and filter. You can hog out carb mounting holes to fit if you can get close enough. Metric studs are available and the good thing is you will have fun tinkering without dropping a fortune. You may have to ******** with the throttle cable but it all can be sorted out with awsome results. Bobs Rokon World may help but they are a bunch of geeezers that frown on mods and spending money. Look here https://www.arcracing.com/fuel-control-delivery/?sort=featured&page=3

B5365D1C-4FA9-4BB0-9E3B-B4F74939B08B.jpeg

Chorky

Observer
Bumping this thread up. Been getting more and more interested in these things with recent life developments. I'm interested in the Ranger (street legal) version. Wondering about a couple things though...

The new(er) versions with the auto-grab front and suspended seat. What are they actually like? Do they bounce all over the place, or with lower tire pressure are they comfortable (at least on FS roads and paved roads). Coming from a person with a less than perfect back and other degrading issues. I cant imagine they would be any less comfortable than a older mountain bike (bicycle style) with no suspension and a hard seat....

Whats the loudness of the newer engines? Acceptable loudness, or annoying loudness? This is a factor for me to consider for various reasons.

Are there reasonably good mods for engine power? Previous posts made it sound like the factory engine, though having enough power, is slow to respond? I'm also curious about elevation. Rokon site says bikes come with two jets, 6,000' and below, and 6,000' and above. That would make for my need to possibly change jets on the trail.

Any word on the street about trans options/updates? Having to change gears when stopped works, but not doing so would be better.

Is it actually reasonable to tow their trailers with gear on trails and FS roads for a length of time and distance with these? Thinking in terms of camping gear. Or is it a gimmick, or only short term use type deal?

From those who have them, the newer ones, would you buy it again?? I am not interested in anything high speed, nor am interested in highway use. Specifically and only FS roads and trails, maybe going to town for groceries.

Trailwerx

I have a 2012 Scout w/ the Kohler 4-stroke. Nice and quiet. Have not had it above 6,000 feet. The gear selector is not a huge deal, I just pick a range based on the expected trail conditions and leave it there. I built a trailer for mine. It has a swivel hitch so if I dump the bike or trailer, it won't break anything. Trailer works great, I often haul over 400 lbs. of trail building supplies, fuel, camping gear, etc. and it pulls it with no problems. Yes I would buy one again.

Attachments

• Rokon and Trailer12.jpg
    Rokon and Trailer12.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1789.JPG
    IMG_1789.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 45

Chorky

Observer

I was just watching this today. I've been looking to see what the 'Rokon' guys have done to modify and upgrade these bikes. All in all they seem pretty robust, but everything has problems. rokonworld.com has some great resources I have found.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles