Rogue One’s M101A3 Build: because I’m too cheap/poor to buy a shiny, sexy, new Overland Trailer

RogueWon

AKA: I always have do things… the hard way.

men-doing_things_the_hard_way-stubborn-wasting_time-sawing-working_outdoors-cwln4443_low.jpg

gandalf-is-inefficient.jpg

All hail the Overlanders! Lurking for over a year - and PMing a bit over the past 10 months… I’m card-carrying yarn spinner and my goal is to pen this thread as a compendium of the little I’ve learned (and am learning) to make the research easier for future noobs to follow. Some will be amused - some not so much. For those in the TLDNR camp, enjoy the pics.

Before we dive in, a few words of thanks to everyone on this forum (and others, like Steel Soldiers) - You folks are amazing, inspiring, igneous and industrious …

Special acknowledgements to these builder’s threads as I’ve learned much from them:
Your successes … and even more so your failures … are as gold to us.

A little background - My experience/joy is rooted in two-wheeled adventure riding/camping going wayyy back… I’ve had my share of epic journeys and posted some mildly popular threads on www.advrider.com back in the day:

Whatever you do, don't go here - “Took a little ride …” or here “I once was lost... T.A.L.R. 2007” - you've been warned .... And I’m also a veteran forum administrator over at https://dgrin.com/.

I married in 2012 while living in Arizona - went on my last real ADV ride in the Spring of 2014 while living in Utah. The Boss was 7-months along then … Spawn arrived in Summer 2014 and haven’t ‘adventured’ since. It’s the classic story of ‘you're a father now. Time to grow up and be responsible.’

After the second birthday...

“Can I take the boy on the bike?”
“Absolutely not!”
“Can I take the boy in a car?”
“... sure.”
“... I guess I’m getting a Jeep.”

The R1150GS doesn’t accommodate child seats - I've got no alternative but to add two more wheels. [Muahahahahaha]

Now I’m in North Carolina - and the game is well afoot!

At 6’3” the JK fits me like a tuna-can - I waffled for a while on getting the JKU (instant gratification) or waiting for the (then) upcoming JLU … and went for the former as I’ve a bit of experience with the perils of first generation products - Ordered a Group Buy factory build offered in the WranglerForum.com Forums - handled through/from from Koons Tyson in Virginia (best deal in the country) and picked the bad boy up last June. Amazing process - from placing the order to ON THE LOT spanned about 17-days ... I ******% you not, these guys are legit and real - If you want a Jeep, especially a factory build JUST THE WAY YOU WANT IT, get in touch w/ Craig Benner... he took great care of me and many others.

Goes without saying that Jeeps are like boats - holes in the water/mud you throw money into. When it came to modding, the nagging thought in my head was that eventually I’ll want the new model and would rather not blow a boatload of cash farkling it out for adventuring only to take a loss when I sold. However, an expedition trailer would enable farkling I can keep when switching vehicles … and setting up a base-camp that isn’t tied to the vehicle is a major bonus that warranted equal consideration.

I came across the marketing video for the upcoming release of the Smittybilt Overland trailer first and was sold immediately on the concept as well as that particular unit - but it took them forever to release it. When they finally did, it was a stripped down, cheaper build at much higher price than originally promised… frak that and frak Smittybilt (in this instance, anyway - I like Smittybilt for a lot of things).

I expanded my view and found other companies that offer similar (mo-better, mo-amazing) products but … jeebus - ******? Who has $20k-plus to spend on a trailer? Hell, some of these things cost more than the Jeep!

[how 'bout that 10k character cap. eh?]

Last edited:

RogueWon

Let's kick post #2 off with a little 'Have a nice Day" message for any over-lander, regardless of wheel count ... though in this particular instance, four would have been much easier...

Where was I? ah yes - sticker shock, trailer style.

DIGRESSION SESSION: Now, in all fairness to those awesome peeps that offer Ready-to-Rock systems... these systems/rigs are TO DIE FOR… umm, in a manly way, of course. [grunt] I mean… drooool… So let’s have a look at some of the companies I found … Fair warning, I have no actual experience with any of them and am only expressing opinions I’ve formed during my research - and I can be an ************ - take ‘em with a grain of salt, or ignore them entirely - apologies in advance for any errors I make.

This list is incomplete and in no particular order:
  • First up because they are an awesome company AND they have a great team AND they are involved in the community AND they are ridiculously helpful to everyone (not just their customers) - XVenture Trailers. It looks like the parent company, Schutt Industries, is a major contractor for the military, picking up the mantle of the old school suppliers and building today’s future surplus. I dig that - and that hints at the probablility that these bad-boys are bullet proof builds (literally). Schutt / XVenture had the foresight to use their knowledge to enter the expo market with new units - starting around $10k, these guys have a great line-up of military grade modern.
  • Ruger Offroad Trailers offers a base model M416 clone that peeps looking for a ready-made foundation for a build can pick up starting around $5k … not bad at all - or you can ala-carte the features/accessories you desire and have Ruger add them on.
  • Like Ruger, Anchor Mountain Overland offers a very nice, relatively inexpensive foundation model for about $4500 - which you can order as-is or accessorized through them.
  • Now, hold onto your 401ks and get ready for Moby1 XTR - staring at a paltry $21,000 and running up to [not a typo] $54,400.00 for the Level 3 Loaded, this thing is fit and ready for Sir Richard’s next global ADVENTURE… If I was Elon Musk, this is what I'd bring to Burning Man - #we’re-not-worthy
  • Another entry in the ‘I want the best and I can afford it’ category is Bivouac Camping Trailers (BCT) MoabAZ - - They offer a whopping SIX trim models - each with a staggering laundry list of packages and accessories - while gorgeous and amazing and so shiny it makes my mouth water, I have to confess I didn’t have the energy to run myself through the daunting menus of build tools/options to learn what the final costs would be (thereby opening myself up to severe self-loathing for not going into finance back in the 90s) … but the base units have a starting range of $2600 to $12,000 - and I’d wager the build sheets are a blast if you like to play.
  • Last but not least (and my current personal favorite) - The Turtleback Trailer Company ... and their Holy Grailer: The Expedition (clever, right? you heard it hear first) ... smart, strong, nimble and feature packed - the fit and finish rates up there with the tightest of 'em - German-like engineering - State-of-the-art EVERYTHING and these guys look to push the envelope - after my research I’m just in awe of these guy’s passion for the product and niche. If I DID have FUMoney, I'd think $25,000 for the TCTC Expedition was a bargain.
To be sure, there are some reasonably priced options out there, relatively speaking. However, to me they’re like the base model of a car… no one wants the build as it's ‘starting at’- once you add in the features you need/want, bam! - the price can double.

For seekers that are on a budget, do have a little scratch to spare, and don't have the interest/time/talent/desire etc to build your own, take heart and check out this sweet article at Gear Junkie: 10 Off-Road Trailers & Teardrops Under $10,000

In my case, I accept my lot - for better or worse, no pret-a-porter Overlander for me…

[It's late and I'm tired ... I did mention that this would be a long one - TBC]

RogueWon

Okay - I'm on a roll. One more post (#3) because this is a build thread and I haven't gotten to an actual build yet ... If it'll make you feel better, here's a puppy ...

Surfing the web, I fell into one of the Steel Soldiers threads about government auctions and trailer builds, and that got my attention. I found the Expedition Portal & Forums soon after… and the seed took root … I crawled and lurked and researched and cross referenced - I scoured the GovPlanet Auction Site - and finally reached the conclusion that I might just be able to do this from scratch.

Sinking sweat and cash into my own build to get more for less would produce exactly what I wanted in a trailer. It would be expandable, customizable, and scalable down the road - And I'd finish with a piece of work I could (one would hope) be proud of. As a bonus, this route would check off the box tied to my DIY gene - as my wife always says with a sigh and a smile, “... there will always be a project."

The next dilemma was choosing an overland platform … Initially, I didn’t want to go ‘big’ - small and nimble seemed like enough - so I started looking for an M416. I don’t need to tell you that the market has gone nuts for those - no inventory and too many buyers … getting lucky aside, the prices were prohibitive, if not just plain stupid. … Don’t get me wrong, I’m a proponent of market balance pricing based on supply/demand - but seriously, THIS IS CRAZY … same as with the mega-trailers, to those who are not concerned with cost, more power to ya.

I looked into fabricated options like Dinoot Trailers (DIY Supported Trailer Adventuring) - They offer a fairly nice M416 clone - but when you put it all together it's still expensive... about $2000 for the 'tub' and such - then you have to build (or buy) a trailer frame, axle, wheels, tires, brakes, wiring harness, lights, run the electrical etc etc etc ... and as far as I could tell, this is nowhere near the tank-like indestructibility of the military surplus units. That said, still a novel product that will serve the M416 seekers well.

Okay then - let's look at something a little larger ... we come to the M1101A models - At the time I was hunting last year, you could grab a relatively new, often never in service, Schutt/Raytheon/Silver Eagle M1101 between $500 - $900 (more or less) in my area at Fort Bragg. See another example HERE. (go Schutt!) ... though it looks like demand for these is currently increasing. Depending where you are, winning bids are hitting $1500 to $2000 these days. - and quick search just now didn't find any inventory at all in the next couple of auctions! (for those interested, curb weight on the M1101 is 1460lb)

And man-o-manischewitz, the builds I found for M1101s we’re just WICKED DEAD SEXY - … among many:

7d43002c48f0188f51d181861d1b03ea.jpg

Black in the new black, baby.

Luckily, before I made a move, I had the good fortune to talk at length with someone in the biz who was knowledgeable on the M1101/2s - He'd already done his own build and was very candid and helpful - at the conclusion of our discussion, and in agreement with his input and cautions, I determined the width of the M1101/2 platform (not the weight) made it a less-than-ideal foundation for the Wrangler. The M1101/2 is a beefy 7'2" wide! (86 inches) ... the Wrangler is comparably trim at 6'2" (73.9 inches) in width. That's a full foot wider unit I'd be dragging behind through trails and trees and all manner of hazards... SIX INCHES on each side! 'nuff said, Pilgrim ... we be moving on…

Near as I could tell, that left the M101A Series 1/2/3 … Reading countless threads here on EP and SS on the differences and pros/cons between them - surge brakes yay/nay - distance between wheel wells - axle width and clearance - wheels and tires size - lug patterns - set-up for Hummers vs Jeeps - etc etc etc… so much info - so many viewpoints and opinions - cut it up! vs don't desecrate it! ... “if you’re going to change this you might as well get that” / “if you tow with this, this one is better” - was much more than a little overwhelming.

I locked on the M101A3 and in the end, to this prescient bit of advice I found, “It’s your build. Do whatever the hell you want with it.”

Release the hounds! Let the hunt begin!

[and I'm spent ... TBC]

Last edited:

RogueWon

Chapter #4 - Acquiring the Beast ... but first, a word from our sponsor ...

One beneficial function on the GovPlanet Auction site is the option to target auctions for items in your region ... In my case, as previously mentioned, Fort Bragg is about 100 miles away near the N.C. Coast. I identified several M101 platforms on GovPlanet that would suit my needs, signed up for a bidding account, posted a priority bid for my most favored unit:

It had the least amount of visible damage/rust with all of the trim intact (bows/cover etc) ... I bid ‘just a smidgen’ over what I thought other PBs would be - to dissuade a war - and won this 1980 Kassel US ARMY Tank Automotive Command M116A1E1 - which is basically an M101A3 bed on an M116 chassis… (I think)

A week later, magnetic taillights in hand, I loaded Spawn and my nephew, Connor, into the Jeep for a man-trip to Fort Bragg -

WORD TO THE WISE: One important fact I learned from the GP rep when I picked up at the base was that you need to look closely at the tongue and pintle assembly - he shared that about a third on the units have some level of bend/damage - and a few are ultimately a mess to haul... zoom in on those photos, folks.

Some thoughts on GovPlanet: Great system for finding/bidding - super smooth … I found that bidding on items that were numerous at a particular site resulted in lower winning bids due to the increased number available units - something to keep in mind if there's ONLY ONE where you're looking.

At pick up, you need to go to the Military Base for the item. Base security is a pretty big deal these days, but the process is hiccup free as long as you’ve got the proper docs (that they tell you to bring) - Every step once on-base is facilitated by GP’s awesome onsite representative.

Overall my experience was positive with the exception of one bothersome aspect… there’s a gap in communication between the division that handles the auctions/purchase and the reps with boots on the ground at the facilities… the staff that handles interim post-purchase logistics like sharing info on ‘how to pick up’ and obtaining titling (SF97) came across as clueless and just collecting a paycheck - like civil servants that avoid actually knowing their job and following up. In addition to entended response times to emails/questions, I was repeatedly given outdated information, guidance, contact info AND it took repeated contacts over months to get them moving on the SF97 … what should have taken 4-6 weeks ended up over four months. :facepalm: :rolleyes:

... aaand there's that pesky 10k character limit, again ... BRB

RogueWon

Relax ... here's another puppy pic of Ludwig Von Lossdoggen, the Adventure Weenie

We now return to our regularly scheduled broadcast:

Long story longer, I picked up the M101A3 in August and gratefully parked it at my cousin John’s shop in Raleigh NC - Youngblood’s Performance Auto.

I don't have the same skill set as the rest of you renaissance builders relating to automotive and metal work (never held a welder in my life)... my thing is carpentry. I also don't have the work space or correct tools where I reside. As he has the garage/shop and welding equipment, John’s agreed to help me with the build - and teach me welding so I’ll be able to pick this up on my own down the road

Thank heaven for family!

[Note: as of this writing, I’m thinking John might be regretting that a little]

Okay - parked in August, the trailer sat and collected leaves, rain, snow, pollen and more rain through March… while I scoured threads and waited patiently for John’s workload to lighten up enough to consider allocating time for the build. (no complaints - this isn’t his shtick and he’s got a business to run with real, paying customers… helping me is an epic favor).

Fast forward to last month/early April ... the sun came out... the birds started chirping… the trees and flowers began to bloom… and John said, “Okay. Let’s see what the hell we need to do here.”

Let's tear this bad boy down...

End Chapter One (I’ve gotta go buy some steel tubing for the rack frame ... and write the next episode)

:cool:

RogueWon

Happening as I post - a brief visual interlude:

0464b40070886e0dad27c17105d38985.jpg

adf94797b9b4be0dffbd1efca1ab190f.jpg

e4c048f67eb9ae645bed80c98a6bf434.jpg

3661cf6151457e23e6f9bb097efdf5ca.jpg

And we're walking ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RogueWon

Any chance of the actual updated process for all the forms titling Etc?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

More than a chance, Sky - good info to add here ... And going through the process of obtaining title is a no-brainer regardless of your states rules... I understand some states don't require a title and owners don't bother getting one - but if you've ever seen a trailer (or motorcycle or car or other vehicle) for sale with a 'no title' caveat, you'll know that omission severely inhibits a buyers likliehood of wanting to deal with the even worse process of creating one from scratch ...

GovPlanet has a system in place with the military/government to produce, for a fee of $50, their version of a title on military vehicles - which can then be presented to your state's DMV for transfer (with the Bill of Sale) for registration AND title... easy peasy lemon squeezy.

During the transaction and once you've paid for your winning auction item, they should be offering the option to obtain an SF97 - if not, you better make sure to ask for it - Fill out the PDF and email it back to their processing center -

And pay the extra $50 -

In six weeks or so (cough cough) you should recieve a FedEx with what you need for titling at the DMV - The SF97 -

Looking back, I left them to their business and avoided pestering them through the process - perhaps I should have... might have gotten it a lot sooner. Note the date on my document - I didn't get it until December... it was sitting on someone's desk for a month.

RogueWon

DIGRESSION SESSION: The build thread will continue shortly, but since I posted a real-time action at the steel supply, this follow-up is appropriate -

Well - my cousin John and his son, Connor, and I showed up bright and early Saturday morning ready to bang out the RTT rack system - and I was super-stoked for my first lesson in the art of welding - we laid out all of the components & tools, broke open the plastic wraps on the steel tubing and … awww crud … you’re kidding me, right???

I swear, Murphy was a direct-line ancestor of mine.

… I’ve once again been bitten by a two-part failure … The steel supply company measured and cut the incorrect size square tube for the rack foundation/receiver- tube… should have been 1.5” - instead, they pulled 1.25 (same pipe as the upper frame) … which I should have checked before I left the building - it seems like every time I don’t QA someone else’s work, that's when it’s wrong - in the end, my fail for not confirming. Note to all - Never assume someone else did it right...

That would have pretty much shot the day for all three of us, but John kindly offered to give me some experience with the welder - introductions and explanations of this and that - then I spent some time using his Lincoln 100 Mig on scrap metal …

Thoughts by a noob FOR a noob … I’ve been watching YouTube Videos on welding for beginners and reading guides and forum posts for almost a year - not just relating to trailer builds, but on sites/forums that are all about working with steel and welding:

Resources:
Watching just doesn’t get you over the hump of knowledge. I expected the process to be infinitely difficult, but alas, in practice, I found it pretty simple and straightforward … the ‘mystery’ that was the act of welding didn’t seem to be that big a deal after all … (subtleties of metal, power, gauge, formats, technique notwithstanding)

Xun Kuang 312-230 BC: 不闻不若闻之, 闻之不若见之, 见之不若知之, 知之不若行之 --- Translated by John Knoblock: Not having heard something is not as good as having heard it; having heard it is not as good as having seen it; having seen it is not as good as knowing it; knowing it is not as good as putting it into practice.

Often incorrectly attributed to Ben Franklin in this form/quote: "Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn."

For me, this proverb overwhelmingly applies to welding - and now I get/appreciate reading all those maker’s self-deprecating comments on their capabilities … “My welds suck.”

Thing is, I think that just means they are not pretty - you can have a gorgeous looking weld that sucks (fails) just as you can have an ugly weld that will hold forever … and as with just about anything, technique stems from repetition. Do it right first, then worry about making it slick - So how do you get to Carnegie Hall welding-style? Practice, practice, practice.

As we’re getting started, John shares that, “Most folks become experts at grinding before they become good at creating pretty welds.”

For me, pretty isn’t as critical as solid - and I’ll work on technique as I go - now having gotten ‘involved,’ confidence is high - welding? yeah, I got this.

IMG_4307-L.jpg

In conclusion, if you’re ‘handy,’ and not everyone is, you can do it, too.

We now resume our regularly scheduled program - already in progress…

;)

EDIT: I've been thinking about the content of this post and have returned to add the following in the hope of avoiding inadvertently offending the true welding craftsman out there ... I mentioned earlier that I'm a carpenter by trade - I was taught by my father, a master, and still went through a legitimate four year apprenticeship. I've a good handle on what it takes to be a skilled tradesman. I want to clarify that I'm in no way implying that anyone can BE a welder any more than anyone can BE a carpenter ... moreover, even those that learn the technical aspects may never truly become craftsman - that's takes an innate talent. - Having clarified this, I'm fairly certain that most people can pick up a hammer and put a nail through a board. And if they can do that they can build a box... It might be a ************ box; out of square, covered in hammer dents and displaying no level of artistry, but it'll still be a box. And it'll probably get the job done. I didn't realize that same analogy might apply to welding as I had zero experience with it ... now that I've hammered the proverbial nail, I've learned that I can definitley build that box... hopefully a little better than '************,' but I'm confident it'll get the job done.

[i feel better now]

Last edited:

RogueWon

M101A3 TEAR DOWN -

But first, another puppy pic to brighten your day - Ludwig Von Lossdoggen’s ADVRIDER ‘photoshoot’

If you’ve never done a restoration tear-down before, whether it’s a trailer, engine, motorcycle, car, plumbing, electrical or even an entire house, here’s some wisdom that anyone who has been through one will attest to: TAKE DETAILED PICTURES OF EVERYTHING BEFORE/AS YOU UNSCREW, UNBOLT, UNDO, PULL OUT, REMOVE, BEND, PRY OFF and, in many cases, BREAK OFF.

If you can channel some OCD vibes, group said components together on a flat surface in the order they were removed to represent an exploded view, and take more pictures. Then gather the assorted parts/pieces of specific mechanisms into individual boxes and tag them with descriptive info on what they were for… believe me, this can come in VERY handy down the road when you’re holding an errant part in your hand with a concerned look on your face thinking, “Where the frak does this go???”

That said, I confess I wasn’t around for a fair amount of the tear down - John and Connor started it mid-week while I was unavailable… bless their lil’ hearts.

In the beginning, it was Olive Drab… (also, another great resource for military surplus that I forgot to mention earlier)

Cue stripper anthem - Cover down -

Slats and bows off -

Exit, stage tailgate -

Bye-bye reflectors, tail lights, wiring, lift handles -

Here’s Connor, not John, crawling along the hot cement to disengage the bed from the trailer - because YOUTH!

Undercarriage - smothered in undercoating over CARC paint.

Stow that mainsail, Sailor! (not Connor or John)

(Thanks, Bro)

The naughty bits to refurb and put back on later - and taillight electrics -

Data Plates removed -

Alrighty - docking clamps released - we have trailer/bed separation!

Last edited:

RogueWon

cont...

The steel looks amazingly well preserved - no evidence of rust intrusion beyond a couple of flash surface spots… literally built like a tank.

960ffcb15f072386431accec57b23fcc.jpg

Pieces of the plan:

M101A3 Axle Pros:
M101A3 Axle Cons:
  • It weighs a ton
  • The wheel hubs are 8 lug for Humvee run flats which don’t play well with my stock JK
  • It weighs a ton
  • And it really is heavy
Sooo, I’m replacing the A3 axle with a Dexter 3500 lb unit - I’ll lose the functional and cool ‘raised axle bump’ for added ground clearance but gain the weight savings AND wheel configuration options

M101A3 wheels and tires - Pros:
  • Huge - like monster huge! RAWR!
  • Works with the on-board surge brake system and hand brakes
  • It’s already built and ready for action
  • Run flat - ‘nuff said
M101A3 wheels and tires - Cons:
  • 37” monster tires - I’ve no intention of ever going that big on the JK
  • Won’t ‘easily’ run with JK 5 Lug set up
  • They weigh a ton
  • Did I mention how much weight these add?

The Dexter 3500 LB axle will be married to hubs that support a 5 lug JK configuration for the wheels - which requires spacers etc (we’ll revisit this later)

Tough choices, but overall, this seems to be the generally accepted best practice for my purposes/goals:
  • I want the trailer to match the track and HEIGHT of the JK
  • I want the wheels/tires to match allowing for the one-onboard-spare-for-all benefit
  • I want the weight reduction!!! (of course)
I do intend to retain the dual hand brakes -

Breaking down the wheel hubs to access/disengage the handbrake lines for reuse down the road:

Okay - Let’s talk BRAKES:

While it was a difficult decision, I’ve decided to lose the surge brake system.

[brief pause to allow purists time to recover] …

Rest in peace … and pieces.

This action, more than others, was one of the most hotly debated points on other forms/threads…

On the PRO side:
  • Surge brakes are great!
  • Surge brakes are idiot proof!
  • Surge brakes don’t depend on electrical systems so they always work.
  • Why mess with a good thing?
  • If you don’t want them, get an M101A2 instead - don’t ruin an A3!
  • I’ve never had an issue with mine!
On the CON side:
  • Surge brakes ‘can’ engage when you reverse uphill *
  • The system weighs a ton (funny how pervasive the weight issue is)
  • Electric brakes work great and weigh less
  • Electric brakes are better
  • Electric brakes are idiot proof
  • I’ve never had an issue with mine!
* I’ll confess that this point felt like it could go both ways - I mean, it makes sense that backing up on a steep grade could activate the pressure sensors and lock the brakes - but it also makes sense that this action/situation would be a fairly common thing during normal use in the field before the units were decommissioned and the system remained in use and optimal for what, 30 some years? … From what I read, it sounded like this was more of an issue when the tow vehicle and trailer were jackknifed - and many of the surge-lovers refer to a SURGE BRAKE LOCKOUT mechanism that eliminates the issue … in the end, I’m not up for figuring it all out.

So bye-bye surge brakes, hello electric - all in, I’m installing the Dexter with upgraded brakes and bearings. Specs under consideration - you’ll need to determine your desired width and lug configuration - and as mentioned previously and in just about every thread where a Wrangler is the tow vehicle, you need spacers.

[TBC]

Last edited:

RogueWon

Wheels

JK/JKU take offs are a dime a dozen - Matching the wheels on the Jeep was probably the easiest (and cheapest) part of the build. The upside of owning a massively modified/farkeled vehicle is that stock parts steadily stream to market - in the case of wheel rims, I had my pick from a plethora available on FaceBook Marketplace - probably a dozen for sale at any given time, in the $150 range for a full set of FIVE RIMS … and the $300-$500 range for five rims WITH TIRES (often brand new).

Unfortunately, none of the w/tires available matched the stock BF Goodrich LT265/70R17 KO2 All-Terrains that came with my Jeep (upgraded for the Cold Weather Package). I snagged a set of five matched rims for $100 (after haggle).

Which brings us to one of the more pricey aspects - Tires - BF Goodrich LT265/70R17 KO2 All-Terrains are running about $400 for a pair.

Locked and loaded!

Tongue and hook-up format -

Yup - there is a lot of back and forth here - good arguments for both retaining the military lunette/pintle and for switching to a ball coupler … and popular (though pricier) alternatives like the Max Coupler and Lock-N-Roll.

I didn’t have any issue with the pintle hitch system while towing the trailer the 120 or so miles on the journey from Fort Bragg to my cousin at Youngblood's Performance - helI barely felt it back there … and I might as well add the surge brakes worked perfectly too, as I never felt a difference when I slowed, either. I also, as many others, believe in leaving my options open down the road - paraphrasing @dstock, I’m looking to avoid painting myself into a corner with poorly thought through decisions … when there’s an option to move forward in a way that I can back-step from later if it doesn’t work or I find a better way, that’s the road I’ll take without question…

IF the M101A3 had come with a system like the M101A1 - simple lunette without the surge system, I likely would have kept things as is, at least for now …

In @FandL's Build thread -

image-jpg.195649

FandL lunette image.jpg

(why, @FandL why? /kidding)

...but with stripping the surge assembly having the tongue broken down almost completely anyway, might as well take it the whole nine yards.

To this end, I too have decided to remove the stock system entirely and rock a receiver tube enabling easy interchange with whatever hitch system I want - pintle, ball or 360-articulation. Thank you to all you builder’s who worked that out before I got here, including:
(the list goes on)

And again, this results in yet another hefty shedding of unwanted poundage.

ANYONE NEED A PINTLE SET UP for an M101A3???

Or perhaps the tongue jack? Yup - let’s toss that 35lb beast while we’re at it!

[cont.]

Last edited:

RogueWon

Spawn does not appreciate the pneumatic drill - no matter... lose it all!

As impressive as the axle/hub/wheels/tires are - get ‘em outta here!

And then my carpenter’s eye catches this … and I can’t un-see it.

Yup - per my earlier warning, one of the tongue leads is borked. We’ll come back to that -

Connor is having too much fun - get to work, boy!

And we’re done with the tear gown! Spawn breaks out in a spontaneous jig.

I think John might be eying those and looking to pick up second set to put ‘em on a Bronco or something...

And I’m posting this pic of one of the automobiles in John's shop because … well, no reason needed beyond ... :love:

This is what my Cuz does -

We put the trailer up and locked with a chain - I can spot a 1/4 “ variance out of square/plumb/level over 30' in an instant - the tweak, to my eye, looks like a pretzel - and a nightmare to fix. Or find a replacement part for…

But John seems unfazed - and tells me it’ll be fine… and I defer to his experience in this arena of expertise.

The bucket goes on standby -

And the next phase for trailer is welds for the new hitch set up, adding another receiver on the rear, then media blasting and powder coating - we’ll talk about CARC and what you need to know after a this brief recess.

End Chapter Two

. time to write more .

Last edited:

RogueWon

Okay folks - riddle me this ...

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 12.34.47 AM.png

Why are these three words being marked for auto-correct in this forum?

:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles