ROFarts Lost in Utah; The Story

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Day 7:
After a hardy breakfast at the Moab Diner we said farewell and thanks to Frenchie. Got gas and some real beer then headed up river road to camp while drying and cleaning gear. Bruce ran back to town to recover his truck and trailer. One last night around a good fire and we stayed up late waiting for the moonlight to reach down in the canyon and light up our camp.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446605157.235621.jpg

Day 8: Next morning was quite cold so we stood around impatiently waiting for the heat of the sun to hit our camp. More drying was needed but now it was time to hit the road for home. Before I left Bruce and I went over my maps of the San Rafael Swell and was pleased to see from his earlier post he did explore this interesting area.

My thanks to all the ROFs that joined in for this trip and special thanks to Frenchie for sharing his wealth of knowledge of SE Utah. Hopefully the next ROF trip will see us blessed with better weather.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446605651.729183.jpg

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
Subscribed

Great to read/see what some of the ole' farts have been up to lately. Appears to have been a terrific time exploring the back country "at home".

Personally, I went the way of the faint and weak hearted and opted for the sand and surf of the Pacific via the Big Island while your teeth were chattering.  (Not to say MX wasn't awesome with you guys but I owed my better half some decent R&R this time around. )

image.jpg

Hope to catch up with the gang on the trail next year.

cw90yj47

Observer
CW Post Part 2

If you been follwing my post. We left the Museum in Blanding. Headed on over to South side of Canyon Lands NP. Stop by Newspaper Roc. Very interesting.
2015-10-22 OlFarts lost in Utah 2015 004.jpg
Continued up toward the NP. Ended up Camp at Hamburger Roc. Still on the muddy side, but foun d couple of campsite next to each other.
2015-10-22 OlFarts lost in Utah 2015 013.jpg
Later that night we decide to stay an extra day here. To dry out, and hopefully the trail up thru Lockhart Basin dryed out a little as well..... We had heard that someone had gotten stuck pretty good earlier in the day. So the next day we stopped by the Needles Outpost. Just outside the NP. Went into the Park, and ended up doing Elephant Hill. Frenchie guided me thru it. I'm not bragging but I've done my share of hard core trails. This was different in so maney ways. Thanks Frenchie....You the man! After Elephant Hill, we finished up by going out to Big Springs overlook, and did a little walking, but nothing to crazy. Headed home for the night, and had nice campfire, as well.

cw90yj47

Observer
CW Post Part 3 Continued

2015-10-23 OlFarts lost in Utah 2015 008.jpg2015-10-23 OlFarts lost in Utah 2015 013.jpg
Next morning we Packed up, and Headed out thru Lockhart Basin. I had heard it was a good distance to Hurrah Pass. So we got off to nice steady Pace. Nothing to crazy till we hit the Mudd hole, that we had heard about. After looking at it. We decided to do a little bypass. It was the wise thing to do.
2015-10-24 OlFarts lost in Utah 2015 004.jpg2015-10-24 OlFarts lost in Utah 2015 007.jpg
Ended up doing about twenty five miles that day. Trail for the most part, wasn't to bad. It had a few spots. That kept us on your are toes.
2015-10-24 OlFarts lost in Utah 2015 022.jpg2015-10-24 OlFarts lost in Utah 2015 030.jpg
Next day was going to be the challenge. Was excited to get on the trail. Figuring we had another twenty plus miles to go.

cw90yj47

Observer
CW Post Part 3 Contuinued

2015-10-25 OlFarts Lost in Utah 2015 001.jpg2015-10-25 OlFarts Lost in Utah 2015 005.jpg2015-10-25 OlFarts Lost in Utah 2015 015.jpg
2015-10-25 OlFarts Lost in Utah 2015 019.jpg2015-10-25 OlFarts Lost in Utah 2015 030.jpg2015-10-25 OlFarts Lost in Utah 2015 035.jpg
2015-10-25 OlFarts Lost in Utah 2015 038.jpg2015-10-25 OlFarts Lost in Utah 2015 040.jpg2015-10-25 OlFarts Lost in Utah 2015 046.jpg
On this day my Last. I think we got to see, and do alot of interesting things. Came off the upper plateau, into pretty nasty canyon. Went by the turn-off to Chicken Roc. Stopped at a hidden jem that Frenchie knew about. Natural bridge along side the road. Ended up at Wind Cave for lunch. Very kool day. From their. We continued on up, and over Hurrah Pass. From their, I continue into Moab. Rest of the group stay out one more night.
Next day I headed back toward Nevada, and warmer climes. All in all. Really was a interesting trip. The potential for a great trip was their. Just a little to much inclement weather...... But I'll be ready for Mexico this winter. Hope the OlFarts come up with somewthing soon..............

unkamonkey

Explorer
Go now before more is closed off. Every trip to Utah I see more closed roads and trails.
True, some of the roads we used to run in the early '90s are closed now (Salt Creek and others) and others they are turning into highways, (Elephant Hill).

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
As an addendum to everything written and shown here so far, I went on this trip thinking it would be the last one I would do with my beloved dog Tucker. Well, I just got back from the WSU vet hospital in Pullman, WA. The doc was only able to find one mast cell in Tuck's bloodwork this morning! she thinks it may be do to the cactus spine caused infection on his tumor. Otherwise the tumor was pretty much gone! Woohoo! So to all the old farts that participated in this trip; thank you so much for putting up with Kent, Tucker, and me. And thank you for being so kind to my dog. looks like you may just have to put up with him again in the future. We should know for sure after a final checkup next month.

IMG_1224.jpg

Tucker and me under an arch (Rainbow Bridge?) on BLM land NW of Moab

IMG_1182.jpg

Panarama of Comb Ridge campsite, both pics by Kent. Both pics done on his smartphone. BTW, Ace you make great campfires!

Last edited:

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Wow good news from a guy that loves dogs. Glad y'all could join us and hope you can again someday.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
Great story! Those conditions sounded pretty tough. Props to you for sticking it out and having an awesome adventure!

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I do believe the arch you are under is Jug Handle arch. Rainbow bridge is near Lake Powell. By the way awesome report. Almost makes me wish I were an old fart so I could tag along.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I do believe the arch you are under is Jug Handle arch. Rainbow bridge is near Lake Powell. By the way awesome report. Almost makes me wish I were an old fart so I could tag along.

Jared,

You're absolutely right; that is Jug Handle arch.

BTW, latest news from the vets at WSU hospital; Tucker is free of cancer cells as of yesterday. Guess we truly will have to get back down there now and spend some more time with the Old Farts Expeditions group. What a wonderful group and experience!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles