Rode a BMW G650X today...

Clutch

<---Pass
MuddyMudskipper said:
In the dirt the 640 is great.

I rode one for a weekend, nice machine. Trust me, I want one! There was one in Vegas, for only $5K, I thought of flying up there, then try to ride dirt roads all the way back to Tucson. Just have to be a little patient and wait for the 990 ADV. I think with all the gear, the 990 will be a better choice. I even thought of getting a Super Enduro, but, I think the lack of wind protection will get old.

I had a Honda 919 at one time, great little naked bike...long trips kinda blew....blew me all over the place, wore me out. I can only take about 12-14 hours of riding on that bike....be plum tuckered, from all of the wind turbulance.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
The 640 is definitely a tall bike and the wind will chuck me around a bunch. The fairing (if you want to all it that) is pretty useless. It directs the wind straight towards the bottom of my helmet visor which REALLY sucks. I think I'm going to get one of those Touratech universal clip-on windscreen visors which should help a bit.

I'm working on starting a build thread here in the Portal on my bike. There don't really seem to be any so I figured what the hell.

Kermit said:
I had a Honda 919 at one time, great little naked bike...long trips kinda blew....blew me all over the place, wore me out. I can only take about 12-14 hours of riding on that bike....be plum tuckered, from all of the wind turbulance.

Funny you should mention that. I have a Street Triple 675 on the way.

Good thing this is your thread 'cause this is a mean hijack.

Clutch

<---Pass
Hijack is half the fun...

Here ya go, my buddy Todd on the the 650, fiddling with the LOCKING gas cap, at the pit at the Parker 250 last weekend, he came in 8th, not too bad going up against 450's. They are going to pull the tumblers, so it doesn't lock anymore.

ADV Rider thread...on the race...http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288181

240609318-M.jpg

The 919 taught me a few things...absolute blast in the twisties, miserable in town...(traffic annoying...can't keep hand out of the throttle)...will go 150 mph geared right...a wee bit twitchy at 150 though...:D. Want a bike to do high mileage trips...get one with fairings.

Speed Triple....oooh...nice!

My old 919...damn that was a fun bike!

MuddyMudskipper said:
I'm working on starting a build thread here in the Portal on my bike. There don't really seem to be any so I figured what the hell.

Good we some bike builds.

Last edited:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Kermit said:
Hijack is half the fun...Here ya go, my buddy Todd on the the 650, fiddling with the LOCKING gas cap, at the pit at the Parker 250 last weekend, he came in 8th, not too bad going up against 450's. They are going to pull the tumblers, so it doesn't lock anymore.

NICE! What dealer do your friends work for? I'm thinking they are the same folks I saw at the Red Mountain Desert Race.

Kermit said:
The 919 taught me a few things...absolute blast in the twisties, miserable in town...(traffic annoying...can't keep hand out of the throttle)...will go 150 mph geared right...a wee bit twitchy at 150 though...:D. Want a bike to do high mileage trips...get one with fairings.

Luckily for me I don't live in the basin so I don't get to experience the traffic that LA is famous for. There are lots of twisty roads out here and I'm about 10 minutes away from Angeles Crest so I can avoid the crush of humanity easily. I've ridden full faired bikes (999R Replica, 996S, SV650S) and nakeds (K1200R, Monster) and I've always liked the nakeds better. Ergos are more my style plus nakeds are more hooligan and less duder. I live in a helmet mohawk, bike nutz squiddy kind of town so I'd much rather be disassociated with the stop light Antron Brown's if I can help it. The Sheriffs tend to leave the non-sport bike types alone.

Kermit said:
My old 919...damn that was a fun bike!

I used to work with a guy that had a 919 and I thought that it was a damn sweet bike. He used to ride it everyday to and from work from Acton, CA to Orange County and he said it was a blast. He regretted having to sell it but with a new child it was the 919 or his bagger H/D. REALLY good looking.

Clutch

<---Pass
MuddyMudskipper said:
NICE! What dealer do your friends work for? I'm thinking they are the same folks I saw at the Red Mountain Desert Race.

The dealership is Iron Horse here in Tucson, I don't know them too well. They wanted to go racing and Todd's name came up. I never really had any interest in the BMW's, I think I have only been in the shop once. We are a bunch of enduro/desert racers and riders. So the big beemer is something new. Kinda laughed at first..."you're gonna race what!?"...but after seeing it and riding it. I guess there is some hope.

A couple of the Iron Horse mechanics, just joined our dirt bike club, haven't had the chance to ride with them yet.

MuddyMudskipper said:
Luckily for me I don't live in the basin so I don't get to experience the traffic that LA is famous for. There are lots of twisty roads out here and I'm about 10 minutes away from Angeles Crest so I can avoid the crush of humanity easily. I've ridden full faired bikes (999R Replica, 996S, SV650S) and nakeds (K1200R, Monster) and I've always liked the nakeds better. Ergos are more my style plus nakeds are more hooligan and less duder. I live in a helmet mohawk, bike nutz squiddy kind of town so I'd much rather be disassociated with the stop light Antron Brown's if I can help it. The Sheriffs tend to leave the non-sport bike types alone.

I can get out of Tucson pretty quick, we have some good twisties close by. I did buy the bike thinking I would save on gas riding back and forth to work. Traffic is just annoying on that thing. Me being me, wanted to carve in and out of traffic. It was either be put in jail or die. So I went back to dirt only riding...can get the same thrill going down some gnarly waterfall, that you get on a hooligan bike going 130.

I would love to have a Speed Triple or that 990 Super Duke, sitting in my driveway...but, I know myself too well. I would get into such trouble with one of those. I even thought of building up a SuperMoto, to run around town and race...I can see it now, up on the side walk, sliding around corners, jumping down stairs...(I am too much of a hooligan to own such things, need to stay away from the streets and keep to the back country).... I really like to explore, so an ADV bike will fit that need, heck of alot cheaper than outfitting a rig with four wheels...instead of a roof top tent, I am looking for the smallest two person tent I can find, to shove in a side box. ;)

Last edited:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Kermit said:
The dealership is Iron Horse here in Tucson, I don't know them too well. They wanted to go racing and Todd's name came up. I never really had any interest in the BMW's, I think I have only been in the shop once. We are a bunch of enduro/desert racers and riders. So the big beemer is something new. Kinda laughed at first..."you're gonna race what!?"...but after seeing it and riding it. I guess there is some hope.

A couple of the Iron Horse mechanics, just joined our dirt bike club, haven't had the chance to ride with them yet.

Oh I see. I guess more than one dealer is getting out there and flogging the new 650X.

Kermit said:
I can get out of Tucson pretty quick, we have some good twisties close by. I did buy the bike thinking I would save on gas riding back and forth to work. Traffic is just annoying on that thing. Me being me, wanted to carve in and out of traffic. It was either be put in jail or die. So I went back to dirt only riding...can get the same thrill going down some gnarly waterfall, that you get on a hooligan bike going 130.

That seems to be a common theme with dirt-to-street guys except the rocks and trees are made of moving steel.

Kermit said:
I would love to have a Speed Triple or that 990 Super Duke, sitting in my driveway...but, I know myself too well. I would get into such trouble with one of those. I even thought of building up a SuperMoto, to run around town and race...I can see it now, up on the side walk, sliding around corners, jumping down stairs...(I am too much of a hooligan to own such things, need to stay away from the streets and keep to the back country)....

Did a KTM rider demo over the summer and got butt time on the 690SM and the Super Duke....VERY sweet bikes. In the end I wanted to go Brit for the street bike. I am noticing that a lot of the dirt guys are going to SuperMoto for their street rides. I was driving to my sister's house a while back and there was a guy that works at the In-N-Out nearby doing a MEAN powerslide RH turn so I get your Hooligan-phobia.

Kermit said:
I really like to explore, so an ADV bike will fit that need, heck of alot cheaper than outfitting a rig with four wheels...instead of a roof top tent, I am looking for the smallest two person tent I can find, to shove in a side box. ;)

I think we see eye-to-eye on this one!

Clutch

<---Pass
MuddyMudskipper said:
That seems to be a common theme with dirt-to-street guys except the rocks and trees are made of moving steel.

Yeah, the rocks and trees, don't talk on their cell phones, while drinking a mocha latte frappe, yelling at the kids in the back seat...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior