Rocky Mountain Team

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Seriously considering coming on the rally, seeing the other "teams" starting to form I figured it might be a good idea for the Rocky Mt. people to as well; I for one would enjoy having a little local motivation/team work to undertake a trip like this. So far it will be myself and my girlfriend coming from Ft. Collins CO, other option is if someone needs/wants co-driver I may go that route.

So maybe post up in this format and I'll try to keep a running list (up for adding to desired info/suggestions)

ScreenName:
Number in party: International travel experience:
Languages spoken/written:

Participant list
ScreenName: PirateMcGee
Number in party: 2 (hopefully haha)
International travel experience: Some in Europe, none in Central America
Languages spoken/written: English....and some German haha
Vehicle: Either the Sport or picking up a cheap subaru or old 22r/re toyota truck/4runner for the trip

ScreenName: Sylgeist
Number in party: International travel experience: Inexperienced
Languages spoken/written: ?
Vehicle: LJ Rubicon decently equipped

ScreenName: RMP&O Real name is Ian
Number in party: So far just me, not sure if I am bringing my dog on this trip or not. I have a few friends interested in being my co-pilot but we are a ways out for people like them (or me) to plan much yet.
International travel experience: Driven to Panama & back 2x from Wyoming, spent 7 months or so in Latin America in the last 2yrs, total miles driven in Latin America is about 20,000. I have more travel experience but it doesn't really relate to this event.
Languages spoken/written: English & Spanglish
Location: Uhhhhh, obvious right!? JH, Wyoming, I guess not everybody puts their location up when they join the forum.
Vehicle: Undecided at this time but will either be my 84 FJ60 Cruiser or an early 90s Subaru. The Cruiser is on 35s, v8, ect ect and can sustain me as a home if needed.

Last edited:

sylgeist

Observer
I too am debating going on this and would prefer to convoy if possible ( the jeep is still untested on long trips). It would be me and my wife both inexperienced in international :)

Number in party: 2 (hopefully as well!)
Vehicle: LJ Rubicon decently equipped.

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
ScreenName: Ummm...this is kind of obvious right! :p Real name is Ian
Number in party: So far just me, not sure if I am bringing my dog on this trip or not. I have a few friends interested in being my co-pilot but we are a ways out for people like them (or me) to plan much yet.
International travel experience: Driven to Panama & back 2x from Wyoming, spent 7 months or so in Latin America in the last 2yrs, total miles driven in Latin America is about 20,000. I have more travel experience but it doesn't really relate to this event.
Languages spoken/written: English & Spanglish
Location: Uhhhhh, obvious right!? JH, Wyoming, I guess not everybody puts their location up when they join the forum.
Vehicle: Undecided at this time but will either be my 84 FJ60 Cruiser or an early 90s Subaru. The Cruiser is on 35s, v8, ect ect and can sustain me as a home if needed.

I haven't signed up yet, if I had $350 laying around to blow I would have already. I am planning to go though barring poverty, death or maiming. My route is also not determined yet, some of that will depend on who my co-pilot may be and how the event shapes up. My date of departure is also up in the air for the same reasons as my route. I would like to camp and also stay in a few hotels/hostels. I know multiple routes down from super fast to super slow. I am looking to spend time with the group rather then do my own thing and just show up for the final hoorah. I may or may not be returning after the event. I plan to document my time in the event, a lot of that by video. I may also get into a "theme" with costumes and just plain goofy debauchery. ;)

Cheers to the Rocky Mountain team!! :D

sylgeist

Observer
I think I can speak for everyone in the region by saying it would be a definite asset having RMP&O on the trip. My biggest fear is just the unknown aspects of traveling in Mexico and having someone with vehicle experience would go a long way.

I'm also thinking of doing the Rosetta Stone or similar for Spanish to get ready!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I think I can speak for everyone in the region by saying it would be a definite asset having RMP&O on the trip. My biggest fear is just the unknown aspects of traveling in Mexico and having someone with vehicle experience would go a long way.

I'm also thinking of doing the Rosetta Stone or similar for Spanish to get ready!

Well I would like to travel with others and not just from our region. Thing is right now I am really wanting to hit up Baja for 2-4 weeks before the rally. Then take the ferry over and join the rally. That may or may not happen. I am still unclear how the event will shape up exactly, I know points are accumulated from what I believe is finding items or going places or doing things and the team with the most points at the end wins. I am actually liking the idea of this instead of just traveling with a group and then a big hoorah at the end. I am hoping the things needed to score points can be found anywhere in Mexico, maybe even Latin America. This way there won't be a designate route everybody kind of has to take to acquire the points.

And as far as teams go...is it just per vehicle? Or is it possible that us from the Rocky Mountain region can work together as a team to acquire the points and then us as a group rather than me, my truck and my friends can win? I honestly think it is per vehicle from what I have read so far.

I am not really serious about winning for a number of reasons. One being if there was a $10,000 purse I would be more serious! Haha! I am just liking that there is a bit of a competition factor because it is an opportunity to do things that are different from previous trips I have done. It also gives us something to do while we travel, a "mission" we are on so to speak. I am also seeing the final night being pretty spectacular, camping at the ruins with a huge party while the world ends! :D

I got Spanish for Dummies years ago and loaded it on my iPod. I can listen to it not only at home but also in my truck. I also think a good pocket dictionary is helpful to not only learn but for travel too. Also watch movies or TV in Spanish that has English subtitles. :)

Bill Beers

Explorer
...I know points are accumulated from what I believe is finding items or going places or doing things and the team with the most points at the end wins. I am actually liking the idea of this instead of just traveling with a group and then a big hoorah at the end. I am hoping the things needed to score points can be found anywhere in Mexico, maybe even Latin America. This way there won't be a designate route everybody kind of has to take to acquire the points...

I think Christian will be posting up a teaser/sample scavenger hunt list. But to answer your question, yes, it is finding/doing things along the way that will earn points. There won't be a designated route, and the "items" can be found anywhere on the way to the final destination.

...And as far as teams go...is it just per vehicle? Or is it possible that us from the Rocky Mountain region can work together as a team to acquire the points and then us as a group rather than me, my truck and my friends can win? I honestly think it is per vehicle from what I have read so far...

Per vechicle. Though there is no cap to the number of people per vehicle.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I think Christian will be posting up a teaser/sample scavenger hunt list. But to answer your question, yes, it is finding/doing things along the way that will earn points. There won't be a designated route, and the "items" can be found anywhere on the way to the final destination.

Per vechicle. Though there is no cap to the number of people per vehicle.

Well that clears some of if not most of that up, thanks.

So I only see a point in traveling with others for just that, since a "team" can't be more then one vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles