Rock Guard Under Muffler

Pilotamis

Observer
I’m installing a 20 gallon water tank between the drivers side frame rail and the driveshaft on 2011 F-250. My plan is to have a piece of 10gauge steel bent into a U with an ID of 37 1/2”. I’m planning on sliding that up and bolting it to each frame rail and then installing the tank into the bottom of the U. I’m planning to wrap the tank in an exhaust wrap heat shielding to protect it from the muffler and whatever pesticides and herbicides they spray under the truck. I’m not sure though if putting a rock guard around the muffler is ok. I’m worried about heat build up from the air not being able to circulate and causing failure in either the muffler or the x-fer case. Is this a real concern or am I over thinking it? I’m thinking I could drill some holes into it or even cut out a section if needed.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Better to put the wrap on the inside of the shield opposing the muffler and not wrap the water tank in it, to keep the most heat away from the tank.

The heat buildup is a long-term concern. Why not a plate covering just the bottom aspect of both, if you concern is rocks. Covering the sides doesn't have much purpose and causes you the heat concerns. and use straps to hang the water tank.

I'm getting the impression that the muffler and water tank would occupy the same area between driveshaft and frame rail? Doesn't seem like a good idea. Why not wrap / support the tank only and leave the muffler unmolested?

"and whatever pesticides and herbicides they spray under the truck. " what?? Even without an explanation of that statement, you wouldn't want to wrap the tank in any material that would keep such compounds in contact with your plastic tank.

Pilotamis

Observer
The problem with just using straps is I only have an attachment point for 3 of the corners and I have no way to fabricate something. The easiest solution that I’ve found is to just get a piece of 10 gauge bent to fit on the outside of the frame rails, strap the tank to the inside of it and then mount it to the frame. You are correct that the muffler and driver shaft are close. Drive shaft is about 2” away and the muffler is about 12”. Looking at it from the rear, L to R, frame, water tank, drive shaft, muffler, frame. The plate would encase all 3 within in. My wife has the truck today or I’d post a pic.

In Mexico they spray the underside of your vehicle with what I assume is an herbicide or pesticide. Regardless of what it is, I know I don’t want it in contact with my water tank or lines which is why I’m planning on wrapping them in something to help shield them.

javajoe79

Fabricator
It doesn’t sound like your muffler is close enough to cause any problems. I see no way how your water tank and lines could somehow absorb this spray you’re talking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne