Roaming Lost: Montero Gen2.5 Build

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
Good choice on the OME parts, I remember when mine were new and nice and clean, you are going to love driving it even more now. Did you make sure to remove the rear sway bar? The progressive rate of the coils eliminates the need for a sway bar in the rear but increases suspension travel.

I did not know that! This weekend's project: Remove the rear sway bar. LOL.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I disagree about the premise that the higher spring rate of the rear coils eliminates the need for the rear sway bar. The bar's role isn't strictly to reduce lean on cornering - it also provides center detent because coil spring suspension doesn't have friction (like leaf springs do) to eliminate hysteresis. You can get away with having no sway bar in the back for years in the same sense that you can get away with driving drunk for years.

Ever heard of a panhard bar, or are you confusing it with the sway bar? The sway bar does next to nothing to center anything on the rear axle, as the bar itself is greased for movement and allows the axle to move. So unless you actually own several Monteros with progressive rate springs and have towed trailers with said setup please refrain from posting without merit. And please google the difference between a higher rate spring and a progressive rate spring, as they are not the same and do not act the same under load.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
^^^He's exactly right, with no sway bar your truck will do that thing at a certain speed over the right bump or transition no matter how cool your springs are. Certain setups do it less but without a sway bar they all do it to some extent. You either live with it and go for stability offroad in exchange for on road control or go for stability on road and live with getting tippy off-road. Really depends on how much you wheel vs drive around.

Shovel, did i show you the sway bar disconnects for the rear of the Gen 2? I was going to install a bar on my machine and try "disconnects" but i didn't have a spare one so I'm just going to go with the Currie Anti-Rock because I seem to have more flex than most.

Toasty

I'm saying that from 22 Monteros, probably 15+ different combos of springs, towing, not towing, loaded, overloaded, unloaded, every combo of F/R sway bar possible, almost every shock available for Monteros.
Yes Expo grade OME and KYB's make the "thing" happen less frequently but it will happen.

Toasty

It's only a partial disconnect, it doesn't actually let go of the bar at all. Just gives it maybe 4" of extra range which on a stock truck should unbind it completely.

AZPAJERO

Observer
I did not know that! This weekend's project: Remove the rear sway bar. LOL.

Dooooo etttttt!!!

67e08dda5575116920310f476e3a1913.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online