Roam About with "Big Hank"

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Damn - that's a nice looking rig! Hard to believe it's a 98.

Yea, I almost couldn't believe it was a 98 when I first took a look at it. It was spotless. Not sure how long that is going to last though.

Wow! Awesome Park! I love the new rig!

Thanks. I'll let you know how it works out. This past weekend I took it down some fairly beat up Forest Service roads and it did fine. Key is too just slow down. We primitived camped in it. Firing up the generator for some pop corn in the microwave was nice! Getting soft in my later years!

Still going to keep and use the Tacoma and FWC? Ron

Oh no, not getting rid of the Tacoma/FWC set up. Main reason I got the Chinook is for when my signifigant other wants to go off with me or I'm looking into an extended stay somewhere but after my first voyage in the Chinook I can see where one could get real accustomed to the "glamping lifestyle". Headed down to Oregon in it tomorrow for a solo run. I'll report back.

NikonRon

Adventurer
[/QUOTE]Oh no, not getting rid of the Tacoma/FWC set up. Main reason I got the Chinook is for when my signifigant other wants to go off with me or I'm looking into an extended stay somewhere but after my first voyage in the Chinook I can see where one could get real accustomed to the "glamping lifestyle". Headed down to Oregon in it tomorrow for a solo run. I'll report back.[/QUOTE]

Smart man, got to be able to get deep in the back country for that true solitude! Ron

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Wow great find!
I know a local couple that found a 98 Roadtrek same sort of thing, put in storage, had 20k on the clock. Looks brand new. They are having a blast with it.

Be sure to put new rubber on it! Old tires on heavy RVs is not pretty at 65mph.

galvyork

Adventurer
I'll be at expo too Park. I hope to meet up if your there on Sat. I will not be camping due to my schedule with work but it would be great to see your set up in person if you don't mind.

parkkitchings

Adventurer
I'll be at expo too Park. I hope to meet up if your there on Sat. I will not be camping due to my schedule with work but it would be great to see your set up in person if you don't mind.

Would have loved to meet up but alas, I didn't make it down this year. Something came up last minute and I had to take a pass. To make up for it I'm planning on going over to the Overland West meet up near Wenachtee, Washington in June. Not as big an event but still lots of fun. I was able to get down to the Oregon Coast for 5 nights to just kind of poke around. Couple of pics to prove it happened! Update to the blogsite http://nowheretobetour.blogspot.com/ soon.........

Cape%20Meares%20Correct%20Pic%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Oregon%20Coast%20%284%20of%204%29-XL.jpg

Last edited:

parkkitchings

Adventurer
I think I have a rare disease. RV syndrome. I seem to be always looking at any form of RV's and over the years have owned tear drops, tent campers, clapped out Class C's (which friends referred to as my RPOS - Rolling Piece of ****), ATV haulers, and Fifth Wheels. All purchased used and I'll admit, some in better shape than others. Tricked out overland rigs, vans, campers, small & huge Rv's....you name it and I like to look. I even enjoy walking around crowded RV shows drooling over all the new stuff..............

Update to blogsite: http://nowheretobetour.blogspot.com/2016/05/new-wheels.html

Oregon%20Misc%20%282%20of%2010%29-2-XL.jpg

galvyork

Adventurer
Sorry to miss you at expo. I was there for a few hours on sat but with no service it was hard to meet anyone. I'm thinking of following in your foots steps so to speak. i have a access cab taco right now trd or. I was thinking about getting a FWC or ATC for just me and my Lab. How long have you lived in yours in one stretch? Do you like it? Any issues or things you would change? I have been weekend traveling in my Roof Top Tent but I think for full time I need to have a solid roof. Thanks Don

PS. great pics. What camera do you use?

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Sorry to miss you at expo. I was there for a few hours on sat but with no service it was hard to meet anyone. I'm thinking of following in your foots steps so to speak. i have a access cab taco right now trd or. I was thinking about getting a FWC or ATC for just me and my Lab. How long have you lived in yours in one stretch? Do you like it? Any issues or things you would change? I have been weekend traveling in my Roof Top Tent but I think for full time I need to have a solid roof. Thanks Don

PS. great pics. What camera do you use?

Longest stretch in my FWC has been for a little over three months. I think I stayed in it one time for 96 days straight. Easily doable long term as long as the weather is decent. When it gets cold it's not so much fun. When running heat in the camper condensation is a problem. No way to really get around it. If I was going to set up somewhere long term I think I'd go with something with some more room. Full timing in it can certainly be done but it will start closing in on you eventually. Being on the move and putting in miles off-road you can't beat the pop up system. I've been real happy with my FWC. No problems at all and I haven't babied it. Lots of rough off road and it has held up well. Not sure I'd change anything on my set up. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the compliments on the pics. I really enjoy taking pics when out on the road. I'm using a Nikon D7100 and a Fuji XM-1.

chet6.7

Explorer
I was briefly trapped in the restroom by the Heceta Head lighthouse,I locked the door when I entered,the lock malfunctioned and it would not retract back into the door fully.
I worked the lock a 100 times or so..no go...then I started kicking the door trying to get someones attention as it was Feb.and just about dark.
Spending the night in a long drop crapper with a wet floor would not be fun.
I was kicking as hard as I could for about 20 mins.I tried the lock again it opened after another 100 tries.
The Leatherman in my pack was in the truck and not on my belt,it could have saved me some grief if I had it on me.

galvyork

Adventurer
Longest stretch in my FWC has been for a little over three months. I think I stayed in it one time for 96 days straight. Easily doable long term as long as the weather is decent. When it gets cold it's not so much fun. When running heat in the camper condensation is a problem. No way to really get around it. If I was going to set up somewhere long term I think I'd go with something with some more room. Full timing in it can certainly be done but it will start closing in on you eventually. Being on the move and putting in miles off-road you can't beat the pop up system. I've been real happy with my FWC. No problems at all and I haven't babied it. Lots of rough off road and it has held up well. Not sure I'd change anything on my set up. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the compliments on the pics. I really enjoy taking pics when out on the road. I'm using a Nikon D7100 and a Fuji XM-1.

Awesome, thanks a bunch. It does help. I was thinking during crappy weather it would be small. I think might try to us the Tacoma tail gate to get a little more space. I have a buddy that might be able to build me one.

parkkitchings

Adventurer
I was briefly trapped in the restroom by the Heceta Head lighthouse,I locked the door when I entered,the lock malfunctioned and it would not retract back into the door fully.
I worked the lock a 100 times or so..no go...then I started kicking the door trying to get someones attention as it was Feb.and just about dark.
Spending the night in a long drop crapper with a wet floor would not be fun.
I was kicking as hard as I could for about 20 mins.I tried the lock again it opened after another 100 tries.
The Leatherman in my pack was in the truck and not on my belt,it could have saved me some grief if I had it on me.

daaaaaaaaaamn.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior