Roam About with "Big Hank"

smlobx

Wanderer
Enjoy reading your blog and looking at the beautiful photography.

How do you like your trailer? We're looking for something to haul additional gear.

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Enjoy reading your blog and looking at the beautiful photography.

How do you like your trailer? We're looking for something to haul additional gear.

To be honest I don't think I'd pull the trailer again. It was a motorcycle trailer and I lost some ground clearance using it behind the truck. I took it on this trip to haul some additional gear as I thought I was going to have someone meet me in Anchorage for a portion of the trip. Figured with the trailer I could haul some extra gear. The second party didn't materilaize so the trailer was overkill. I've since sold it since I got back into Washington. I'll pull a trailer if I need to haul my dirt bike in the future but not a cargo trailer set up. This is my normal set up when I've got the bike with me. Like it much better as I don't lose any ground clearance when going off road. I've pulled this thing in some pretty bad spots. Thanks for the compliments on the photos and blog.

GilaBox4-5-XL.jpg

ReconZJ

Observer
I've enjoyed reading about your travels - thanks for sharing. Your photography is also excellent! Will be awaiting your next adventure.

Gary

parkkitchings

Adventurer
I've enjoyed reading about your travels - thanks for sharing. Your photography is also excellent! Will be awaiting your next adventure.

Gary

Thanks for tagging along and the kudos on the photography. Looking to head south in mid December. Texas area for awhile and then down to Key West maybe. Need to stop in and visit my Mom in Florida on the way down as well so we'll see where it takes us.

grogie

Like to Camp
Once again (at least I'm sure I've said this before), thanks for sharing your story and pictures. Beautiful experience! I'm jealous too. :)

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Once again (at least I'm sure I've said this before), thanks for sharing your story and pictures. Beautiful experience! I'm jealous too. :)

Thanks man. Glad you followed along. I know some don't click on the link taking them to the blog. I've had comments from others that stated they quit following once I started the blogsite. Stated it was too much trouble going to another link. Shame as I think they missed out on some photos and my witt! I initially started the blog so my 80-year-old mother could follow along, but others have seem to like it so I've tried to keep it going. Trying to post up in numerous places just takes way too long. It can be a pain in the butt at times with editing pictures, coming up with some verbiage, posting on this forum as well as the blog but worth it if you feel others are following along and appreciating the effort. It was an epic trip up north. If able, every overlander should do this trip at least once in their lifetime. I would encourage one though to wait until they can take ample time to do it. Doing some of the dirt backroads, South/North Canol - Dempster - Denali Highway is really good stuff, but you certainly want to slow down to take it all in. I met others who only had a few weeks and were hauling butt on a daily basis attempting to get everything in. I ran across a guy on the Dempster who did the push all the way in and out in a 24 hour period. Unbelievable as the Dempster is over 800 miles of dirt. He simply wanted to check it off his list. I hated to tell him that he missed so much but didn't have the heart. He was so proud of himself that he'd done the whole thing in a day. I think he wanted me to be impressed. I wasn't! Not my kind of travel but to each his own I guess. I was on the Dempster for almost a week. I personally like to really slow down on a trip like this to take it all in. Luckily, I've had the time over the past year and half since I've been unemployed. I realize some just don't have the time due to work or family commitments, though. Like I stated, put it off if possible, until you've got, or can make, the time. Unless someone hires me soon I plan on taking back off around mid-December for points south. Stay tuned.

Whether for a week-end or months on end just go. Doesn't have to be a two month trip to Alaska to make an epic adventure. So much to see right in our own backyard.

Alaska2015-5-XL.jpg

parkkitchings

Adventurer
I was one of the pessimist about the blog. I read it every time you post a new one :) Thanks for sharing.

Glad you stuck it out. I plan to be back on the road in about three weeks. Will be heading south this time down towards Big Bend National Park and will hopefully end up in Key West for awhile. May drop down into Mexico but not sure yet. Will be another roam about for sure as I have no set plans other than Big Bend. Never been and want to check it out.

Glad you stuck it out. I plan to be back on the road in about three weeks. Will be heading south this time down towards Big Bend National Park and will hopefully end up in Key West for awhile. May drop down into Mexico but not sure yet. Will be another roam about for sure as I have no set plans other than Big Bend. Never been and want to check it out.

Well if you head down through Reno/Tahoe look me up! Big Bend looks like a prime destination!!!

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Have a great time in Baja! It's been waaaaay too soggy here in the PNW. BTW, I always forward your photos of Petey to my wife... she thinks he is the man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94