Roadside assistance providers for overlanders?

Good morning all,

I took a vacation last weekend and hit a deer. It totaled the vehicle. Luckily, there was a large town about an hour away so we were able to get towed/rental car via our insurance. This got me thinking though, during some of our adventures, we are not remotely close to a decent sized town and thus you might have to have the car towed 50-100+ miles which would be crazy expensive. When I am going camping in places like this I try to be prepared for any repairs needed on the road but one really could not repair catastrophic damage like we incurred. Does anyone recommend or know of a good roadside assistance service that would be good fit for those who journey to remote places like most of us do on the forum?

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
Nope. it would be cost-prohibitive. Would you buy a policy that costs $3000.00(hypothetical)? Neither would anybody else. My dad referred to this as "insuring the grocery bill". Put that $3000.00 in a safe place and be self-insured when the need arises.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I have seen numerous times where someone is stuck or broken way out in the middle of nowhere and they posted their predicament on social media and got good help. The guy that buried his 4Runner in the Black Rock dry lake comes to mind. He got tons of flack for being stupid but he also got out. It’s a common thing that fellow overlanders would be glad to help when possible. It’s also usually free but a hefty donation is always welcome.

I personally have been involved in a few rescues like that. Both giving and receiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plh

Explorer
I have State Farm auto insurance with the road side assistance rider - its like $5 a month. They covered a 170 mile tow for me about 6 years ago. Assume that has not changed. I was not off road however.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Worst comes to worst perhaps the locals will assist (drag) you out to where AAA or similar provides service.

ebel

Has anyone experience with the Spot-X Roadside Assistance?

The SPOT Assist is the GPS-Based Safety system designed to protect you and your family on the road and outdoors. The applicable NSD Roadside Assistance Plan is Plan E, which includes the following Roadside Assistance: Your plan, Plan E, includes the following Roadside Assistance: towing (up to 50 miles (80 km) per tow), extrication, accident assistance, road service, fluid delivery, tire service, battery service, lost-key or lockout service (into passenger compartment only), at your location. Plan E covers up to five (5) towing/roadside assistance events annually.

Your vehicle must be within 100 meters of a regularly maintained roadway. The NSD Roadside Assistance Service is not offered in roadless areas regularly not traveled, such as vacant lots, beaches, open fields or other places which are hazardous for tow trucks to reach. This means that if after mapping your GPS latitude and longitude, the location does not map within 100 meters of a known, regularly maintained roadway and is in an area safe for the tow truck to travel, NSD will not dispatch Roadside Assistance.

Probably their definition of "regularly maintained roadway" is more restrictive than ours.

Foy

Explorer
I went to AAA RV Premium when I was told by AAA that my regular membership didn't cover towing on my F350 simply because it was an F350. Mine is a single rear wheel and is in every meaningful way identical to an F250 of the same model year (2002) but AAA wouldn't budge on their "policy". Haven't had to use it for the truck or the single axle pop up camper yet, however.

I have AAA RV Premium. Worth the cost.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
There typically seems to be a local guy in many of the heavily visited remote area's that specializes in deep boondock recoveries. Most likely expensive however it can be available so having some type of towing/recovery insurance policy should be a high priority.

Now gittin in touch with a recovery service might be a problem if you are way out in the middle of no where unless properly equipped for communication.

Here are 2 examples in the Moab area:

https://windertowing.com/

krick3tt

Adventurer
When I had my MOG there was, within the MOG community, a reference that was available for owners of MOG vehicles that listed places that would repair them throughout the US and a listing of numbers and addresses of fellow owners that offered their locations as areas of refuge for owners that were in need of repairs or just information to assist. I know that many would not supply their locations or information to the general public but the MOG community was very helpful to each other, and although the general world has changed significantly, at the time it was a very useful gathering of like minded helpful souls.
Perhaps the world of social media has taken over that avenue of help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke