Road Warriors (Is it an adventure if you drive a touring car?)

clarence2

With apologies to ADV:

Could we discuss touring cars here?

Seems within scope:

I think overland travel, if I can define it, is vehicle-based adventure travel. It doesn’t need to include 4×4 off-roading, nor camping. Overlanding means you’re getting in a vehicle or getting on a motorcycle and you’re off exploring some new locations, some new country, some new state that you haven’t been to before.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Just getting out on the road with anything is a life experience. Some of our most memorable adventures happened with rental cars, roadmaps, roadside lunches and seeing America. Living off the back of a moto or out of the trunk of a 45 year old temperamental british sportscar for 2-3 weeks can sometimes be more of an adventure then crossing a mountain pass/river/trail. It doesn't matter what you drive, its the fact your out there doing it. Cheers.

6ED778C7-65C4-4582-BC36-FF91DB2DAF53.jpeg

Recommended books for Overlanding

Shovel

Dreaming Ape
We take my wife's Mustang on cross country trips too. Even put an inflatable canoe in it.

Maybe not everyone's idea of a touring car but it has room for our stuff, eats up miles pretty comfortably and does OK on fuel. Headlights on it are kinda terrible and there's no good (clean and understated) way to add proper driving lights to it :(

Jnich77

Director of Adventure Management Operations
Almost everywhere that you think you need a 4x4 to get too...someone has gotten their before you in a 2wd....lol.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
If there is a will, there is a way......intrepid car campers!.....15 years ago while trying to impress my soon to be wife of my off-roading/overlanding manhood in my hardy samurai, I was slowly climbing up a steep pass trail in Moab and as we come around a shelf trail near the top what do we see........a convertible Volkswagen Rabbit sitting on an outcropping and a dude doing yoga.......how the hell did he get up here? Lost some “he-man cred” on that one since that’s the same car she drove in college.

8361A7A3-ED17-4AB7-9F28-D3515F825BBD.jpeg

MTVR

We had the adventure of a lifetime, doing the European Delivery of my wife's custom-ordered BMW Track Pack car. Dinner in the Eiffel Tower in Paris, Rome on a Vespa scooter, Oktoberfest in Munich, Liechtenstein, over the Swiss Alps into northern Italy, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Pagani, Ducati, and MV Agusta in northern Italy, a long weekend in Venice, Salzburg, wine and desserts in the world's most famous castle, Porsche in Stuttgart, maxxing her car out against it's 155 mph speed limiter on the German Autobahns, driving the world-famous Nurburgring at triple-digit speeds in it, and then sending my wife on a 200 mph lap of the Nurburgring in a Porsche 911 GT3 RS race taxi driven by Sabine Schmitz...20141002_065419.jpg20141009_092926.jpguntitled1.pngidNjM4MTMyMTlkOTFhYzI2YQ==-a812f60f4b88d1157a5bcf58e8d4fb9c.jpg

Last edited: