Road trip

Viggen

Just here...
Regretfully like many I touch, I hadn't driven Franks truck until I went to the airport to pick him up in it. Its got a 1.6 tcase and anything over 50mph is pushing the tdi engine to an rpm where its not happy. Doubt he'll see much economy this trip. I wish him God Speed.

Nothing some lift and some larger tires cant fix :sombrero:

Thatll be a fun trip. On the bright side, the temperature isnt cold but isnt exactly warm so youll have no issues with roasting inside the truck for this part of the trip. Take pictures along the way.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Nothing some lift and some larger tires cant fix :sombrero:

Thatll be a fun trip. On the bright side, the temperature isnt cold but isnt exactly warm so youll have no issues with roasting inside the truck for this part of the trip. Take pictures along the way.

His goal for today was to make it to Marty's place in Kentucky. They may very well throw it up on the rack and swap in a disco 1.2 tcase. That would make the rest of his jorney much more enjoyable.

Viggen

Just here...
His goal for today was to make it to Marty's place in Kentucky. They may very well throw it up on the rack and swap in a disco 1.2 tcase. That would make the rest of his jorney much more enjoyable.

That would help a ton no doubt. I wish him all the luck on his trip.

Viggen

Just here...

That would help a ton no doubt. I wish him all the luck on his trip.

mongosd2

Adventurer
So after 20 straight hours yesterday, I pulled into to Tucson at 11pm...Averaged 63mph and 23mpg. Tired is a understatement

truck run great, zero isssues

Now the fun begins

Scott Brady

Founder
Fun trip, always made more enjoyable when you have a new toy to drive.

Look forward to seeing you in it around Prescott sometime!

David Harris

Expedition Leader
So after 20 straight hours yesterday, I pulled into to Tucson at 11pm...Averaged 63mph and 23mpg. Tired is a understatement

truck run great, zero isssues

Now the fun begins

How did you average 63 mph on a 1.6 tc, if you don't mind my asking? Must have been doing over 3000 RPM. Did you change it out to a 1.2 on the way?

Last edited:

mongosd2

Adventurer
Still debating the 1.6 case, rev's were not that high...the numbers don't lie, if I was turning 3k plus in rpm's, mileage would have dropped to below 20...

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Frank pull the serial number from the tcase. I'm certain its a 1.6. We put a disco 200 in a 1983 110 pickup just like yours. Same result.
We skipped a 1.4 and installed a 1.2 in that truck running 255.85 Bfg's. that coupled with the slightly lower 5th gear the early lt77's had made for a perfect 5th gear on the highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles