Road trip to Joshua Tree NP

1leg

Explorer
I just had to get out of town this weekend.
Not really off-road but an adventure to a place not seen before.
Joshua Tree is the most handicap friendly park I have ever been too. I recommend Joshua Tree NP to all people with a disability.

Map of the route Starts at 1st camp site Friday night. The 2nd Night i was lucky to get a camp site at White Tank Camp ground. I later learned that you can camp in the park outside of the many camp grounds. They call it back country camping and you need to register at one of the many Back country boards in the park. I didn't know this before I payed for the site. Mind you i didn't know i was going until Thursday night.

Saturday morning Woke up about 7am
2429425758_513c2512a6.jpg

2428610201_d0761e36bd.jpg

Drove on to JTNP.

2429450330_0bbfb120ce.jpg

A few of the off road trails in the park that I didn't take.

2428639673_db68116dc1.jpg

2429458982_0695fd1902.jpg

They could have just as easy called this place rock climber heaven, because it is.

2428644305_9e4d9135e2.jpg

2429457744_12ced09bd4.jpg

2429455024_08f453cd47.jpg

2429453320_ea6f37be24.jpg

Last edited:

Starscream

Adventurer
:26_7_2: Great pictures. I would love to travel out west someday. BTW, I love your JK and great build-up thread!

-Matt

lqhikers

Adventurer
J.t.n.p.

Nice pictures and sounds like it brought your stress level down from the daily grind ,i know it does every time we visit J.T.
In regards to back country camping i think unless it has changed recently that you have to log in at location and have your camp a walk in camp not a camp with your rig,this has always bummed me out in the past as i would not leave my rig by its self!
Also if you do a little research with maps there are a number of trails/roads that are legal to drive on that are off the "tourist Routes"Example,Berdoo canyon rd,Pinkhan canyon Rd.,La Contenta rd that goes to Eureka Peak which gives you a view of the Coachella Valley.
Anyway a nice report
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I've been meaning to get back out there for a while.... glad to see you hot the dirt for the weekend!

KSJeep

Explorer
Hey 1Leg, or anybody else headed that way,

Joshua Tree is a great place, we lived there in Yucca Vally for a few years before heading to Texas, anyway, for a nice drive, head deep into the park on the Pinto Basin Rd, then take the Old Dale Rd north. It is a 4X4 only road and they mean it. The road will take you across the basin and over the northern mountains and eventually drop you off on Hwy 62 east of Twenty Nine Palms.
There are a few old mines to explore and just beautiful views. The road is very narrow over the mountains so meeting an oncoming vehicle can be interesting.
Anyway, for a different route, give that one a shot.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey Jerry - 1leg,
Great report on somewhere I have wanted to go play....we should meet up there as a nice 1/2 pt between Phx & Socal..
Thanks for the alert on the accessibility that is a nice touch to the trip report.
I like your tent/cot and of course the Jeep is looking great.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Looks like you had a great time! I love it there and Joshua Tree is definitely a place I want to spend more time in. Great pics!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Josh is amazing. I love that place and haven't been back in a few years. I think Yosh need to head back this year when the temps get down after summer. Great pics, thanks for sharing.

1leg

Explorer
The trip hasn't ended YET!
I was reading a paper from the park, Saturday. in the paper it told about Gram Parsons a country/Rock singer in the late 60's. He died in Joshua tree, then a Friend stole his body and burned it near Cap rock in Joshua tree NP.

The trip is I get home early today, Turn on the movie channel. and the first movie on is "Grand theft Parsons" Staring Johnny Knoxville.

Zam15

Explorer
Looks like you had a great trip. I hope you don't mind, I copied your map of the route you took so I can use it. :jump: Seeing that we both have about the same point of departure. What did you think of the drive out to Joshua Tree?

1leg

Explorer
Zam. Don't mind atall.
3 things really come to mind.

1st- North of Salton sea is more like little Tjuana North. Not trying to Dis anyone just thats the first thing that comes to mind, I only spent about hour drive though.

2nd- I was trying to find my way to Box Canyon and got lost, Ended up go to I10.

3rd- The Pass going west on I10 from 62 to 243(?) Was windy as HELL. My safety latch on the hood was getting pounded. I thought for sure my hood was going to blow off. Now i understand why all the windmills.

P.s, Bring all the supplys you need in the park, there is nothing there.
Have fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier