Road Trip in July: TX-NM-AZ-Route 66-NV-UT-CO-TX (May Add WY-SD-ND-MN-IA-MO-NE-KS-OK)

@Christophe Noel

Tu parle français ? Ton nom resemble un nom français.

Thanks for all the great info. I think I may check out Guenella Pass, since it is close to Mt Evans which I plan to go to. I checked out Chamonix Inn and it looks cozy, but I may not be able to go stay there since I already have a hotel picked out in Denver.

I am very positive I may be doing Engineering Pass. So, let me hope my shiny shoes (my huge stock 22inch rims) stay clean after coming down that mountain.
As for Moab, I do not plan to do the White Rim because it is just too long for this trip. I would be doing the shorter ones around which are about 20 miles long or less. Besides, I am trying to make time for whitewater rafting, which I have never done before. I need to book that soon because it feels up pretty fast.

@jrob

Thanks for the tips.

The 2 trails you mention I may have problems with are definitely on my “to do” list. So, we shall see how it plays out. And yes, I am staying clear from Black Bear, though my QX can be referred to as a BIG Black Bear itself. I do not plan for them to meet each other this time around. And I hope I do not get tempted to go there.

I may try to grab one of those fancy cocktails at Montanya and will check out the other pass you mentioned.

@bishop2queen's6

Thanks for the info and all the tips. They are very well noted. Yes, I have been to Vegas before, 4 years ago. We flew in and spent 4 days. We never even had a rental car because we did not need it. So all we did was walking up and down the strip, so I know and remember all those callgirl cards they would hand to us on the strip, even if you are with your girlfriend or wife or even kids.

LOL, my Infiniti is about 6'5”. My garage is 7' and the Infiniti just clears it by a few inches. So, if a lot of the parking lots in Las Vegas are 6'3”, then Houston, we have a problem. Or say Vegas, we have a problem.

Right now, I am planning to stay at the Trump Hotel on the strip. But I am seeing comparable type hotels which are a bit cheaper, so I don't know yet. But I have already made my reservation at the Trump hotel, so we shall see.

@unkamonkey

We do not plan to do any hiking because of that heat you all keep on talking about. So we will make sure to always be hydrated and have a cooler full of ice with water bottles. We are planning to do whitewater rafting instead of hiking.

We did not plan on camping on this trip. But planning places to spend the night have been really fun. We are staying at a variety of places. The variety of places we would be spending the night at, especially at those destinations where it would be just for a night and we are gone the next day, include; renting a room at someone's house, staying at a hostel, staying at motels, inns, and then spoiling ourselves occasionally at some luxurious places like our plan for Vegas.

These are the websites we used to look for places to stay and book them;

www.airbnb.com

www.hostelz.com

www.hotels.com and www.tripdavisor.com and we put in the city to help narrow our searches.

Last edited:

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I looked up San Rafael Swell and it seems to have some great rock formations also. But unfortunately it seems I would not be able to go West on I-70 to go see it. Just because it seems I may have to drive about an hour to get there and then an hour to get back and then time to visit the area. It might throw me off on the already tight schedule.
You won't have time to explore but you will see the jagged rim wall of the Swell to your left even from Highway 24. The I-70 gateway through it is 3 miles from where you join join up with the Interstate, the call to check it out will be loud in your ears.

If you turn west there is one view area, outside the rim. Then head inside 3 miles there is another view area inside the rim looking north. Then you have to drive 10 mins further to turn around at the next exit. OR, not to advocate breaking rules, but if you turn around in the "Emergency vehicles only U-Turn" It's only about 2 minutes.
Then stop at the south viewpoint inside the Rim before dropping back out. Not counting all the time at the viewpoints taking pictures it's a 40min detour but you could do it in half that.

It's certainly an interesting area that many people overlook. If we didn't already have 5 National Parks they would have made this one.
_1070998.jpg

jrob

Observer
@jrob

Thanks for the tips.

The 2 trails you mention I may have problems with are definitely on my “to do” list. So, we shall see how it plays out. And yes, I am staying clear from Black Bear, though my QX can be referred to as a BIG Black Bear itself. I do not plan for them to meet each other this time around. And I hope I do not get tempted to go there.

I may try to grab one of those fancy cocktails at Montanya and will check out the other pass you mentioned.

Imogene honestly may not give you any trouble. It's pretty easy. The roughest sections I recall are just above Tomboy traveling in the uphill direction toward the summit. Dropping down into Telluride you shouldn't have any issues. But budget 6-8 hours to run that trail if you really want your monies worth. It can be run in 2-3 but by the time you stop, take pictures, explore tomboy it adds up quick. Imogene is the single most scenic pass in the area hands down.
In Telluride grab additional fancy cocktails at "There..." Little bar on Pacific near Siam, the Thai restaurant. On the way out of Telluride if you're heading back toward Ouray, Last Dollar road takes off from somewhere outside Telluride and hooks back up to the road to Ridgeway. Never actually driven it, but I know it is a mellow dirt road offering good views. Alternatively you can hook a left at Sawpit onto 145 for a super secret way to the Moab. Go left in Naturita for the highway route. Staying straight in Naturita will take you through Paradox valley into Gateway, Which is an obscure little resort town that the owner of the Discovery Channel built for company retreats. There is a fancy car museum there and I think you can drive a Trophy truck or something. At any rate there is a dirt road that departs Gateway and drops you into Castle Valley outside Moab. Again never actually driven it, but I directed some friends that way and they reported that it is in fact a "super sweet" alternate route around the La Salles.

I actually live right around the corner from you in Kemah, but I am from the Durango/Silverton area and grew in those mountains, so if you have additional questions about that area let me know. Not very many roads in SW colorado I haven't driven.

Cheers.

BlindWilly

TXpedition
I haven't even read this whole thread yet, my friend.
Here's my first 3 suggestions, then I'll come back to write more If I need to.
First, take highway 89A from Flagstaff to Sedona
While in Sedona, take a drive UP to the airport, enjoy the view from the top of the Mesa. They have a great restaurant up there too, right in the airport.
IF you have time and want to wheel some trails, visit "Soldiers Pass". The trail to the sinkhole area is a little tough, but I've seen what you can do.
Also, put your new vehicle in 4WD and leave Sedona via Schnebly Hill Road! If you only take 1 trail in Sedona, make it this one. It's easy, beautiful and fun!

On Rt 66 stop in Peach Springs, pay $25 per person and drive down Diamond Creek Road. Then you can brag to all your friends that you drove INTO the Grand Canyon.

Ok, that's more than 3, HAHA

BlindWilly

TXpedition
Just a couple immediate thoughts. Moab will be hotter than the hubs of hell in July. Not just hot, but potentially unsafe hot, so keep that in mind. I would also be very selective with your off-road choice around Ouray and Silverton. Your vehicle will be suitable for the Alpine Loop and a few of the other moderate roads, but be careful not to over estimate your rig.

Regarding the Grand Canyon, aside from a short hike below the rim, which you would want to wrap up before noon due to the heat, you're likely to only have time to visit the rim and peek over the edge. The Canyon is a place best visited below the rim on foot, which isn't really a summer thing and requires multiple days. Sedona is a fun visit. You won't want to tackle the main off road trails like Broken Arrow, but you could probably do fine on Soldier's Pass, even Greasy Spoon. Again, it will be oppressively hot.

You might consider cutting some of the attractions to spend more time on better gravel roads and in more interesting places. The Petrified Park as an example can be...eh. As an example, there is a nice road you might enjoy (dirt) between Georgeton, Co and Highway 285. That is Guanella Pass. Great drive and a convenient route if you're hoping to get to Evans.

In my opinion, you might be passing by some really cool places in exchange for spots that have more interesting names. Jerome, Arizona is way cooler to me than Seligman, Peach Springs or Kingman, which are....just towns. Not even interesting ones. Williams, AZ is oozing with Route 66 feel and there are fun dirt roads around there to explore, plus it will be 20 degrees cooler than those western towns in the desert.

Anyway, looks like a ton of windshield time to me. I can't imagine adding South Dakota to the mix. Talk about trucker butt!! :)
Mr Noel is correct, Jerome, AZ is a great town to visit. Seligman is fun, but brief.
The only way I discovered Seligman was passing through on the way to Peach Springs to get to Diamond Creek Road.

BlindWilly

TXpedition
Arizona Photos.

You are going to be hitting WAY more than I ever did on my trip out west.
We drove from DFW to Albuquerque the first day. Depending on your budget, definitely check out the Hotel Parq Central. After a long day on the road, it's a great place to stay. Service is absolutely top notch.
20150821_155323.jpg http://www.hotelparqcentral.com/
To eat, check out the "Standard Diner" just 3 blocks away. The Beer Can Chicken is delish! (Google Diners, Drive In's and Dives for whatever city you are visiting for food)
From Albuquerque we drove 5 and a half hours to Sedona. ( I found my childhood home in Gallup, NM)
My Wife and I spent a week in Sedona, exploring the surrounding areas.
We drove to Phoenix to visit her relatives, We drove to Peach Springs, because I always wanted to go INTO the Grand Canyon, but she's not a big hiker. I'm an offroader, so we paid the fee at the lodge there, to drive down into it. (They also have rafting from Peach Springs IN the grand canyon)
20150826_133634.jpg 20150826_124756.jpgAt the bottom of the Canyon. Colorado River.
20150826_155322.jpg This will give you an idea of what Seligman looks like. The Movie "Cars"
While in Flagstaff, you should visit the south rim. I didn't have time to do that trip, but I'd recommend it.
Also, Visit Jerome. It's a fun drive about 6000' up into the mountains to visit an old mining town.
20150827_132205.jpgGOPR1176.jpg

BlindWilly

TXpedition
Sedona Photos

While I was IN Sedona, we walked around the main tourist area, went to Tlaquepaque (An outdoor artisan shopping area, trying to be like the real Mexican one) and drove up to the Airport Lookout.
I got to run 3 local trails in Sedona. I had to run them solo since Mrs. BlindWilly doesn't like off road driving. I tried getting the locals from the AZFJ forums to go, but I guess everyone had to work that week.
If you only do 1 trail, do Schnebly Hill Road.
If you do 2, then do Soldier Pass. There is a trail off to the right that goes up to a sink hole. Take a walk up that a ways to see IF you think you can do it.
I don't think you should do Broken Arrow Trail with your vehicle. There are some gnarly spots on that trail. If you have time, watch my video:

100_0812.jpg100_0813.jpg
View from the Airport.

20150828_102715 (Large).jpg20150828_095407.jpg
Broken Arrow Trail

20150825_153841 (Large).jpg
Soldier Pass Trail

20150825_090308.jpg20150825_093247.jpg
Schnebly Hill Road

20150827_151937.jpg
View From Jerome looking way back toward Sedona.

Hope this gives you an idea of what to expect and maybe some ideas on what you want to do.
I'm going to send you a PM about Las Vegas.

Imogene honestly may not give you any trouble. Imogene is the single most scenic pass in the area hands down.
I actually live right around the corner from you in Kemah, but I am from the Durango/Silverton area and grew in those mountains, so if you have additional questions about that area let me know. Not very many roads in SW colorado I haven't driven.

Cheers.

Thanks for the encouragement. But trust me, my mind is set on this one. I am very positive I will be driving Imogene Pass. These are the trails I plan to tackle while in Ouray...

1- Mineral Pass to Engineer Pass. Making a U turn and returning. The other side of Engineer Pass is too easy and too long, I may not do that. I will make a U turn when I get to the post to take pics.
2- Corkscrew Pass and Huricane Pass.
3- Ophir Pass to Telluride. Imogene Pass to Ouray.

My plan is to dedicate one day to do numbers 1 and 2 above. And one whole day to do number 3.

Very interesting to know you are in m neck of the woods. You are like 25 minutes away from me. I love going every now and then to the Kemah boardwalk.

Thanks again for the tips.

@BlindWilly

Wow is all I can say. You have some great pictures and great videos. I can't wait to get out there already.

Ok, I just checked out that Schnebly Hill road and all I can say is that is my natural habitat. I am adding that to my "to do" list. I looked it up on trip advisor and saw all the pictures of the Jeep tours and the pictures at the overlook. It looks like a fun road for sure. I think I would be on that trail for sure. Then I take I-17 back to Flagstaff.

On Route 66, I am passing through Seligman because I had plans of stopping at Peach Springs and driving into the Grand Canyon, just as you suggest. I had that in mind also. So, thanks for letting me know what it costs. And that route is just scenic. The most scenic part of that part of route 66 is driving kingsman to Oatman. It is a very deserted, curvy, scary stretch of highway. Watch for Sitgreaves Pass. Here is a link to the trip advisor about it. I would love to pass there for sure.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31259-d1449308-Reviews-Sitgreaves_Pass-Kingman_Arizona.html

I see you guys had a lot of fun in Arizona. I love the story about route 66 and just like driving any art of it that I can. I like movie Cars and enjoy the reference it has to route 66. I have done a road trip on route 66 and have some pictures like that.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/151178-ROUTE-66-Oklahoma-to-Kansas-to-Missouri

Last edited:

jrob

Observer
If I may offer the slightest modification in the name off efficiency for items 1-2:

Take 550 out of Ouray to Corkscrew.
Corkscrew-Hurricane
Hurricane -California
California-Animas Forks (old ghost town) which is right at the fork for Engineer pass.
Run up to the summit, make your U turn and head back down Engineer to the Highway.
Description is longer but linking the Engineer to Corskscrew/Hurricane via Claifornia is the best way. Also Engineer pass runs all the way to the Highway. I am not really sure why people on the internet call the lower section Mineral Creek.

Day 2 sounds good, would be better in reverse but will work just fine as you have it.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne