Road & Track reviews the 2014Runner

Kaisen

Explorer
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/first-drives/2014-toyota-4runner-first-drive

Step off the tarmac, and the 4Runner makes a case for itself. Buyers can pick between three trims: the budget SR5, the more capable Trail, and the quasi-luxury Limited. Trail comes with a selectable, legitimate mechanical locking rear differential, a bevy of terrain modes, and two systems designed to improve traction: A-TRAC and CRAWL. The former shuttles power to the wheels with the most grip while the latter is a sort of off-road cruise control.

Even when cursed with street tires, the onboard wizardry can shimmy the 4Runner up slick inclines, through deep water, or across rutted terrain without any drama.

But the truck can’t help but feel huge on the trail. That massive curb weight means it takes more power to shove the 4Runner out of deep mud, and gravity loves to grab hold and pull the machine toward off-camber obstacles. Nothing kicks the pucker factor into high gear like a slow slide toward a big, can-opener rock with someone else’s $40,000 SUV. Throw in poor visibility that’s abetted by thick B and C pillars, and the 4Runner isn’t my first choice among off-roaders.

J

JWP58

I just don't understand why vehicles continue to get larger and larger. Gas keeps going up, and vehicles keep getting bigger.....its almost like there's an under the table agreement or something..

The new tundra is massive, and looks bloated. The new 4runner looks the same. I can only imagine what the new Tacoma will look like. Who knows, maybe it will get even bigger and be in the "its pretty much a full size pickup but we're still calling it a compact"..

Kaisen

Explorer
2014_RT_ZB_Toyota4Runner_B-sm.jpg

Kaisen

Explorer
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...nipped-tucked-motoramic-drives-180157639.html

In hopes to extend its lease on life after 30 years. Toyota gave the 4Runner a facelift. And like many such decisions made to fight the march of time, this one didn't turn out well.

The 4Runner has never been much of a looker, but boy howdy does this thing draw attention now, and not in a positive way.

Most of the styling changes seem to be butch-it-up contrivances rather than functional enhancements. While change for change's sake comes with the car business, we can't see why Toyota wouldn't at least try to make the vehicle less ugly. As it sits, no other new model looks quite so "rugged."

Bahnstoermer

More car magazines hating on real trucks and unknowingly letting their vaginas slip out in the process. Ahahaha. If you hate trucks, don't review them morons.

Clutch

<---Pass
More car magazines hating on real trucks and unknowingly letting their vaginas slip out in the process. Ahahaha. If you hate trucks, don't review them morons.

I dunno...no manual trans or transfer case...don't know if a 4Runner is real anymore.

:lurk:

Bahnstoermer

No transfer case? Uh oh... LOL. I swear mine really does have to last forever, or I'll have to get a Tundra to get a real truck next time...

Clutch

<---Pass
No transfer case? Uh oh... LOL. I swear mine really does have to last forever, or I'll have to get a Tundra to get a real truck next time...

no manual actuated transfer case that is like its' cousin the Prado...believe it was castrated too in 2011, and now has a dial. my above post was sarcasm, hence the little popcorn smiley dude...

see those levers, yeah some of us like to still shift our own gears.

toyota-land-cruiser-prado-interior.jpg

still pretty lame the 4Runner is getting a little soft...even with its' new scary face, but it is just a facade...

rather have the Prado..overseas models have a bare bones commercial model available. plus it doesn't look
like it is hunting for krill...

http://www.offroad-nestle.de/en/offroad/new-car-sector/land-cruiser-150/gallery.html

ad6695d5e1.jpg

as for the tundra...yep pretty sad all trucks are getting soft.

Last edited:

Kaisen

Explorer

I read the articles and didn't see them hating on real trucks. They complimented the Runner for having great off-road capability.
From a sales and marketing perspective, most competitors are now just large crossovers (no frame). Both have their merits, but they cater to different customers.

They did state that the Runner could use another gear in the transmission.

And the looks are subjective, but most people seem to agree that it's not better looking than previous versions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles