Road Master Active suspension payload/towing leaf helpers review. 2002 reg cab Tacoma

roving1

So I have a Tacoma that I am not quite ready to lift yet. But on my first trip it became pretty apparent the spring rate of the leafs are shot. These were never the most robust leafs from the factory and at 150K with a big overlanding load they were close enough to bump stops to make every little drainage dip in an arroyo have to be taken at walking speed on a 60 mile trail l over an over again that just drove me nuts.

Since I am going to lift it in a year or 2 I didn't want to invest in new stock leafs. I tried a set of traditional clamp on add a leafs since I had some lying around and the ride height increased and the braking was great with the extra weight on the front but the ride was like an unloaded Ryder truck. It was horrible.

I thought about airbags and mounts to let full extension not be a problem but cost and complexity was an issue.

I decided on these from Roadmaster Active Suspension https://activesuspension.com/

There was some discrepancy over part numbers on the site and through vendors so I suggest you call in. I was glad a called in because the owner let me know they have heavier duty springs you can get that still offer the adjustability at lower setting but have more ability at the higher settings. This was a no-brainer for me so for $40 extra i got what was referred to as "XX" springs. I think $470-ish with a discount given to me on the phone by the owner.

The install on the Taco was easy but you do have to remove the leaf shackle on one side to get the eye hook over. I adjusted them up to max to start and actually got an unintended lift (22 7/8" fender to wheel hub stock is like 22 1/4") with 80% weight i usually carry. Even at this max capacity the ride was a dream and the axle still flexed to almost touching the bump stop when crossed up. The ride is really better than I could have hoped for and only got better when I cranked them back down to close to stock height. Its the just enough spring rate to raise ride height but not getting exponentially crazy rising rate as the suspension compresses.

active suspension.jpg

active 2.jpg

active 3.jpg

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DHdEUuxae7DTU9Z82
post install video

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94