rkj__'s Test Drive - '14 Sierra and '10 Tacoma

rkj__

Adventurer
Today was a rainy September day in southern Ontario, so with my outdoor plans cancelled, I decided to head to the GM dealer to check out the new full size trucks. They are starting to advertise the trucks pretty heavily now, with "tailgate party" events at many dealers. I'm stating to see them on the roads now too.

There's no need for me to give an overview of all the features, you can read that elsewhere, but I did take a truck for a test drive, so I will share my impressions.

The truck I decided to take out was a Sierra SLE Double Cab, 4x4, 5.3L V8, 3.08 gear. Sticker price, ~$43,900.

vQ_640.jpg

picture from web

What impressed me the most about this truck by far, was how quiet it was. Pulling out of the dealer, right away I noticed the acoustic wheel well liners totally cancel out the sound of water splashing in the wheel wells as you drive down puddled city streets. The engine is very quiet as well. On the highway, more quiet. Wind noise is dramatically less than in my Canyon. At 120km/h you don't need to crank the radio up to hear it.

The active fuel management seemed to work pretty seamlessly. When you sink the accelerator pedal, all 8 cylinders quickly come on board to accelerate you forward. The six speed transmission shifts very smoothly. The 5.3 is the middle of the road engine option, that most buyers will choose. It seems well suited to fill that spot. It pulled pretty good when you floored it. It does not provide blow-you-away speed, but it's a Sierra, not a Camaro. Brakes also felt strong. I was driving pretty harshly (of course) and the truck always felt controlled and planted on the wet roads, thanks to the Stabilitrac and traction control. Of course, the wheels spun up real quick with the traction control off.

Driver comfort was not bad. I found the folding centre console on the bench seat to be a little high. As an arm rest, it sits higher than the one on the door. Bluetooth streaming of music is nice, and all the buttons and knobs for stereo and climate control seemed easy to use.

I had no major complaints with the truck. While the damped tailgate is nice, it did seem a little slow, like I had to wait for it to finish dropping. Being used to a smaller truck, I thought the Sierra would feel massive. While I did notice the extra width slightly, it was easier to drive than I anticipated. However, I'm still more comfortable in a smaller truck.

I also liked the free burgers at the "Tailgate Party."

And while I realize this is the Domestic / Full Size forum, I'll also include the below as "bonus content."

I had also been wanting to drive a Tacoma for a while, and there was a Toyota dealer right next door. In the showroom, they had a 2013 Tacoma Access Cab, TRD Off Road. First of all, I thought the seats were amazing. Nice buckets, that really hold you secure and comfortable in the seat. Much better than the bench in my Canyon. The truck featured a tilt and telescopic steering wheel, which I really liked. My Canyon lacks the telescope. Although the truck is mechanically and cosmetically quite old, the dash was updated in the most recent facelift. You will find bluetooth streaming, back up camera, digital compass, and most other things you would expect. The TRD Off Road also features an electronic locking rear differential, along with Bilstein shocks. There is even a 400W, 120V AC plug in the bed. It seemed very well equipped.

What I did not like was the lack of a flat floor in the rear of the access cab. I much prefer the arrangement in my Canyon where the storage bins flop forward to give you a pretty flat floor for loading boxier objects, like your beer cooler. I will say though, that the rear seat backs are much more comfortable in the Tacoma, as they actually have some shape to them. The roof height headrests were a little crazy though, but fortunately they do fold down.

The truck in the showroom was actually sold. Cash price $36,857 after $3,000 in discounts. But, they did have a recently traded in 2010 Double Cab TRD Sport, with 185,000km on the odometer. So of course, I took that for a spin.

16935d1227471627-sale-2007-toyota-tacoma-double-cab-trd-sport-4x4-tacoma-1.jpg

picture from web

The first thing that surprised me about the Tacoma was how eager the V6 seemed. While it actually has less horsepower than the 3.7 I5 in my Canyon, it felt faster. Perhaps its the extra gear in the transmission, as the Tacoma gets a 5 speed auto, vs the 4 speed in my truck. . Throttle response was very good. Floor it, and it was very quick to give all it had to give. It felt "sportier" than the Sierra or my Canyon. The suspension rode pretty smooth over some choppy roads. Not quite as smooth as the Sierra, but smoother than my Skyjacker Canyon. Even after the 185k the truck still felt new mechanically. Steering was not sloppy at all.

As I was driving the Tacoma, I thought, man, this thing is pretty nice. So I asked myself, other than brand loyalty, why would anybody by a Colorado / Canyon instead. I came up with two main reasons.

1. The GM truck is generally less expensive. Used Tacoma prices are quite high. While that is good for when it comes time to sell your Tacoma, you will be paying more up front.
2. While I don't hate the exterior styling of the Tacoma, I like the Canyon MUCH better.

In conclusion, I still prefer driving a midsize truck to a full size. Since I am loyal to the GM brand, you won't find me buying a Tacoma, but I do hope GM steps up their game with the new Colorado and Canyon. If they can bring some of the smoothness, quietness, and refinement from the full size trucks to the midsize, while keeping the price reasonable, improving the fuel economy, and providing some updates, you might see me in one, in the distant future.

Last edited:

Kaisen

Explorer
Great observations, they match up to my own pretty well. I'm driving a 2014 Silverado 5.3L Crew LTZ Z71 right now for a work project, and the more I drive it the more I like it. Pretty easy to get 20mpg around town (urban/suburban metro mix).

Gearing is the biggest reason the Taco feels faster than your Canyon.....both the transmission and the final ratios

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Too bad they didn't let you try the 6.2L. That's the one I want to hear more about. Did you notice the field of view in the right side mirror? I'm wondering if they've abandoned the walleye vision mirrors and went back to superior classic "object is closer than appears" mirrors. GM does a few things really nice. Those wheel well liners are one of them. But doesn't comparing a Toy/Nissan interior, back to back, to a GM just make you want to scream? All of the domestic trucks should have telescopic steering shafts by now. Heck, Volvo has been rocking 3 axis adjustable wheels in their heavy trucks for more than ten years. It ain't new tech.
-
5.3L and 3.08 gears? Even if the new trans has a nice low 1st, what's it going to do with the rest of the gears? LOLz. My current GM work truck has to be manually shifted on the freeway. Cruise won't work in 6th gear, ECM won't downshift soon enough, loses 10mph then speeds 10mph too fast on downhills LOL, works ok in 4th and 5th.
-
I've allways maintained that the Ranger/S10 only existed because they were cheaper. The import little trucks are pretty much better across the board until you get to the 1/2 tons or larger.

Last edited:

rkj__

Adventurer
Too bad they didn't let you try the 6.2L. That's the one I want to hear more about. Did you notice the field of view in the right side mirror? I'm wondering if they've abandoned the walleye vision mirrors and went back to superior classic "object is closer than appears" mirrors. GM does a few things really nice. Those wheel well liners are one of them. But doesn't comparing a Toy/Nissan interior, back to back, to a GM just make you want to scream? All of the domestic trucks should have telescopic steering shafts by now. Heck, Volvo has been rocking 3 axis adjustable wheels in their heavy trucks for more than ten years. It ain't new tech.
-
5.3L and 3.08 gears? Even if the new trans has a nice low 1st, what's it going to do with the rest of the gears? LOLz. My current GM work truck has to be manually shifted on the freeway. Cruise won't work in 6th gear, ECM won't downshift soon enough, loses 10mph then speeds 10mph too fast on downhills LOL, works ok in 4th and 5th.
-
I've allways maintained that the Ranger/S10 only existed because they were cheaper. The import little trucks are pretty much better across the board until you get to the 1/2 tons or larger.

I don't think they had any 6.2s on the lot yet. They did not have any regular cabs yet either.

I did not notice the passenger side mirror enough to comment on it. The size was acceptable, and the field of view seemed ok to me.

The 3.08 gears play a big role in achieving the fuel economy numbers you see advertised. However, as you would expect, equipping the truck with that gear set will not give you a trailering rating anywhere near the max advertised figure that is achievable with the 3.73s.

Kaisen

Explorer
I don't think they had any 6.2s on the lot yet. They did not have any regular cabs yet either.

I did not notice the passenger side mirror enough to comment on it. The size was acceptable, and the field of view seemed ok to me.

The 3.08 gears play a big role in achieving the fuel economy numbers you see advertised. However, as you would expect, equipping the truck with that gear set will not give you a trailering rating anywhere near the max advertised figure that is achievable with the 3.73s.

6.2L motors have not been produced for the public yet (no regular cabs either), so you won't find any at dealers.

The 3.08s are pretty rare in a crew 4x4, most have 3.42s. Those trucks with the 3.42s are rated to tow 9,600 pounds. That's plenty for a half ton, in my opinion. The 3.73 "Max Tow" option is the advertised 11K# ratings, in either a 5.3L or 6.2L.

I've been driving a 2014 Silverado Crew 5.3L LTZ Z71 with 3.42s (still have it at home) for a little over a hundred miles so far. I reset the trip/fuel when I got the truck. No A/C, no trailers, no heavy loads, no hills.....just easy mixed driving with 1-3 adults in the truck. Average speed overall about 35 mph, and some freeway speeds as fast as 75 mph. As you can see I've averaged a little over 23 mpg overall. With the 3.42s it's turning ~1300 rpm at 60 mph and has no trouble staying in V4 mode.

23 2 mpg small.jpg

I'll have it for another week if any of you have any specific questions or want to see a specific photo.

Clutch

<---Pass
What I did not like was the lack of a flat floor in the rear of the access cab. I much prefer the arrangement in my Canyon where the storage bins flop forward to give you a pretty flat floor for loading boxier objects, like your beer cooler. I will say though, that the rear seat backs are much more comfortable in the Tacoma, as they actually have some shape to them. The roof height headrests were a little crazy though, but fortunately they do fold down.

The earlier 2nd gens, had a seat bottoms that flipped forward, too bad Toyota didn't stick with that...much more useful. Suppose you could rip some out of a salvage yard truck.

tacoma-access-cab-storage.jpg

Double cab rear seats are plenty useful when folded down.

07_TacomaDCab33.jpg

rkj__

Adventurer
The earlier 2nd gens, had a seat bottoms that flipped forward, too bad Toyota didn't stick with that...much more useful. Suppose you could rip some out of a salvage yard truck.

That's better, but I still prefer the arrangement in the Canyon. The lower and flatter the better. I use the rear for stuff more than for people.

2004_chevrolet_colorado_4_dr_z71_ls_extended_cab_sb-pic-7611925976584805796.jpeg

Clutch

<---Pass
That's better, but I still prefer the arrangement in the Canyon. The lower and flatter the better. I use the rear for stuff more than for people.

Yeah, it isn't like people can really ride back there anyways. I figure if they put it in there, you can rip it out and build something better. The late model Taco's setup is all but useless for people and gear.

Use mine for gear, since I have no need to haul people.

rkj__

Adventurer
Yeah, it isn't like people can really ride back there anyways. I figure if they put it in there, you can rip it out and build something better. The late model Taco's setup is all but useless for people and gear.

Use mine for gear, since I have no need to haul people.

My truck is my DD, and I've actually had passengers in the rear a surprising number of times, so I would not want to totally rip out the seats either.

The Sierra is actually really clean and simple in its rear seating arrangement. Nice flat surface for loading cargo when the seats are flipped up in either the double or crew cab.

huntsonora

Explorer
6.2L motors have not been produced for the public yet (no regular cabs either), so you won't find any at dealers.

The 3.08s are pretty rare in a crew 4x4, most have 3.42s. Those trucks with the 3.42s are rated to tow 9,600 pounds. That's plenty for a half ton, in my opinion. The 3.73 "Max Tow" option is the advertised 11K# ratings, in either a 5.3L or 6.2L.

I've been driving a 2014 Silverado Crew 5.3L LTZ Z71 with 3.42s (still have it at home) for a little over a hundred miles so far. I reset the trip/fuel when I got the truck. No A/C, no trailers, no heavy loads, no hills.....just easy mixed driving with 1-3 adults in the truck. Average speed overall about 35 mph, and some freeway speeds as fast as 75 mph. As you can see I've averaged a little over 23 mpg overall. With the 3.42s it's turning ~1300 rpm at 60 mph and has no trouble staying in V4 mode.

View attachment 187202

I'll have it for another week if any of you have any specific questions or want to see a specific photo.

Thats impressive!

Clutch

<---Pass
My truck is my DD, and I've actually had passengers in the rear a surprising number of times, so I would not want to totally rip out the seats either.

You're a cruel cruel man. ;) LOL [sarcasm]

The Sierra is actually really clean and simple in its rear seating arrangement. Nice flat surface for loading cargo when the seats are flipped up in either the double or crew cab.

Cool!

We have a SUV as well, think we used the rear seats once, maybe(?) twice for passengers. That said, "if" I had to haul passengers on a regular basis, would opt for a crew cab...putting passengers in an Access cab is just sadistic. ;) :p

rkj__

Adventurer
You're a cruel cruel man. ;) LOL [sarcasm]

Cool!

We have a SUV as well, think we used the rear seats once, maybe(?) twice for passengers. That said, "if" I had to haul passengers on a regular basis, would opt for a crew cab...putting passengers in an Access cab is just sadistic. ;) :p

It's amazing what people will tolerate for a free ride!

I tried out the rear seats in the Sierra Double Cab. They are obviously better than a midsize truck. With a 6' tall person in the front, a 6' tall person in the rear has their knees grazing the back side of the front seat. The back side of the front seat actually has indentations for knees, creating just enough clearance so that the passenger's knees are not pressed into the front seat. It would actually not be too bad for kids or shorter adults.

PS, all this cab terminology is confusing.

On a Tacoma a "double cab" is the more spacious rear seating option, with the "access cab" being the more cramped version. On the Sierra, the "double cab" is the more cramped option, and a "crew cab" gives more generous room for passengers.

Kaisen

Explorer
PS, all this cab terminology is confusing.

On a Tacoma a "double cab" is the more spacious rear seating option, with the "access cab" being the more cramped version. On the Sierra, the "double cab" is the more cramped option, and a "crew cab" gives more generous room for passengers.

It might be easier than you think.

Rear seat room in a Double Cab Tacoma: Head 38.5", Leg 32.6"
Rear seat room in a Double Cab GM 1/2: Head 38.7", Leg 34.6"

My point is that the "Double Cabs" are pretty close..... even though it's the bigger Taco and the smaller 1/2 ton.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior