Rivian R1T (pickup) vs. R1S (SUV) for "overlanding"

calicamper

Expedition Leader
What so bad about Tesla? I seem body gap issues but nothing else- I’ve never rode in one though.
I bought my mom a T3 and several friends have various models covering a wide range of years. They all have wonky stuff you don’t typically see in the traditional auto makers. Not talking body panel gaps.
Talking inconsistent parts quality with inconsistent flaws. Example my moms T3 which has some of the better panel fit alignment I have seen vs others, but it has a wrinkled door sill part that was produced wrinkled and then basically damaged its adjoining part during assembly. Its not structural but its also not something you see in other T3’s that might have really poor panel fitment. Each Tesla has its share of inconsistent parts quality or fitment oddities you don’t generally see consistently on say a GM, Ford, Hyundai etc.

The Rivian’s I’ve seen up close don’t seem to have this parts quality thing either. Actually after poking aroundI felt like parts quality were pretty high actually. I do think Rivian is likely 3d printing lots of stuff still vs moving to lower cost higher volume manufacturing processes or suppliers where we are more likely to see the more inconsistent parts quality stuff that’s commonly seen with Teslas.
Will Rivian parts quality change? Yes most likely it will as they move to more mass produced parts from multiple suppliers.

Ukraine was a player in parts manufacturing so that will impact auto companies.

D

Deleted member 144299

The Rivian is incredibly capable but I'd want a tiny/light off road capable 4x4.
Sounds like Kia and others might have one in a few years.

THIS would be my choice.
If Prius had done this, I'd own one.

I am holding out hope for the Compact Cruiser!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I am holding out hope for the Compact Cruiser!
I would be really happy if I could get a basic Bronco sport with 20-30mile EV range / hybrid add all the driver assist stuff so when my 12yr old starts driving I can put her in it knowing it won’t let her hit stuff?

mydianne

Looking forward to my order a little less after that pricing debacle, but I’m glad Rivian attempted to unring the bell.

I think most people would have accepted a modest increase, especially if the company telegraphed it in advance, but an unsigned email telling you to check your account for price changes was a punch in the gut.

I have yet to see one on the road. Hopefully they start doing events again this spring.

Did you get your Rivian yet? Please post about it when you do!!

NorthwestDriver

No, I’ve got an R1S order and those haven’t started delivering yet. I probably wont hear anything for at least another year.

It will be exciting when people on this forum start getting trucks.

D

Deleted member 144299

There's some kind of Rivian distribution hub I pass on my drive into work so now everyday I see at-least a dozen of them waiting for their owners! Starting to see several of them being driven around town too., maybe someday one of them will be mine.

F350joe

Got a close up look and chatted with an owner on my last trip. I loved it, pretty amazing vehicle. There was, however, two things that stood out to me. One was the orange peel paint, looked really bad considering the price. The second issue was a biggie. Effective range was only a couple hundred miles and twice the owner rollled up to a broken charger. He had to wait 2 hours for 15 miles of range to get to a working fast charger. Still the coolest EV out there in my book that should only get better.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Got a close up look and chatted with an owner on my last trip. I loved it, pretty amazing vehicle. There was, however, two things that stood out to me. One was the orange peel paint, looked really bad considering the price. The second issue was a biggie. Effective range was only a couple hundred miles and twice the owner rollled up to a broken charger. He had to wait 2 hours for 15 miles of range to get to a working fast charger. Still the coolest EV out there in my book that should only get better.
Surprised you didn’t mention the size. Every time I walk by the neighbors Rivian its size is what really gets me.

F350joe

Surprised you didn’t mention the size. Every time I walk by the neighbors Rivian its size is what really gets me.

Seemed to be about the size of a tacoma. Good size for hitting the trails. The bed is tiny but enough room for some camping gear. I'm like they went full recreation and didn’t try to make it a work truck too. I would go for the SUV myself.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Seemed to be about the size of a tacoma. Good size for hitting the trails. The bed is tiny but enough room for some camping gear. I'm like they went full recreation and didn’t try to make it a work truck too. I would go for the SUV myself.
My thoughts are similar. Interior is way different than the Tacoma. It felt more like my 07 Sequoia definitely spent some serious time on cab space when they designed it. Exterior sizing I think its very similar to the old first gen Sequoia. Which I really liked. It wasn’t a huge wide thing but had far superior interior space over the typical midsized stuff

Last edited:

Titan_Bow

My neighbor bought one. They look really good. I’ve watched some YouTube vids and the power tonneau cover seems to be a failure point. The fit and finish seems really nice, BUT it is a 100k dollar vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94