Rivian R1T (pickup) vs. R1S (SUV) for "overlanding"

thebmrust

Honest question:
What are the options for electric vehicles when there isn’t a charging station at your destination? Like Death Valley or a remote trailhead?

NorthwestDriver

I think the Rivian R1T looks great, been watching them since they were first announced. If I were to be in the market for an electric vehicle, it would likely be my first choice. Unless I could get a 4xe Gladiator probably. The thing is, there is no infrastructure in rural Tennessee, and I don’t see it happening very quickly. I have contacted both Tesla and ElectrifyAmerica to attempt to get chargers at my restaurant, in a tourist area. Neither has seen fit to even return my call and email requests.

I would honestly like to have an R1T, but don’t see how it would work for me as an only vehicle. And that is kind of aggravating…I really, really like the idea of the truck, and I think it is very good looking, unlike the nightmare inducing Cybertruck whatsit.

And that is to say nothing about the infrastructure requirements for the power grid to supply all these things. I am a complete layman, but it would seem to require some rather major improvements to our systems nationwide. We will probably get a good feel for the issues when California loses what little is left of its mind and goes all electric soon.

Rivian actually will be a good option for you soon. They’ve secured rights to put proprietary chargers at all of TN state parks. No other state has this available yet, so a very nice benefit for you!

D

Deleted member 144299

Honest question:
What are the options for electric vehicles when there isn’t a charging station at your destination? Like Death Valley or a remote trailhead?

To be fair it's not like there are gas stations at remote trailheads, you just have to plan ahead like any other remote travel. My Tacoma with it's modest lift and 1 size up tires gets about 300 miles of range (a tad more if I carry gas cans but I hate the hassle/weight) so I have to plan on fueling up before heading out to remote areas, a Rivian would be no different other than it taking longer to recharge. I don't think a place like Death Valley would be an issue because its a national park but a place like The Black Rock Desert might be due to it's remote nature and lack of traffic.

I would be lying if I said I had zero reservations about going full electric for my adventure vehicle but it's doable with a slight mind shift in how you travel. Now if only I could afford a Rivian because that's the main thing holding me back from a full EV.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The latest uphill ranch test with firewood on TFL was a nice test for the rivIan truck- must say I was super impressed with its capabilities.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Hi all, new member here.

I currently have a Toyota Land Cruiser 100 which is mostly used as an "adventure" vehicle (camping, dirtbagging, climbing, hauling bikes/kayak). Its atrocious gas mileage makes it mostly weekend/adventure use. The rear 2 jump seats have been removed since I inherited it and there's a removable shelf system in the trunk. It's currently used the way Rivian has been marketing its new vehicles.

As soon as I saw the R1S a few years ago it definitely piqued my interest and in early 2019 I put down a deposit. At that time it was planned for a 400+mi range battery pack model but it would probably only have 5 seats (and smaller batter packs may have 7 seats). As of now, the mid sized battery (300mi) can be ordered but they're not even "announcing" a 400mi range R1S until Jan 2022. The 400mi range R1T (the pickup) is available for delivery Jan 2022. The delay seems to be them finding a way to get 7 seats and biggest battery inside. I have no intent to get the 7 seat version.

So basically I'm impatient; I want my new toy, my justification being to get rid of the bad for the world gas guzzler (really I just want my new toy). I want to get rid of my 98k mile Land Cruiser now and not wait another 1++ years. I'm wondering if it would make sense for me to switch over and preorder the 400mi range R1T. I've never owned a pickup and don't know what should go into one, the pros/cons. I do know that Rivian is marketing both vehicles for people just like me and just the way I just my current LC so I feel confident the R1T can meet my needs (I'm not hauling materials like a contractor).

I came here to ask since this forums members probably use their vehicles more similarly to myself than overall pickup truck owners. So, for those who are deeper into the overlanding world, what pros/cons are there for a SUV vs. a pickup? I figure in a few years time at least a few manufacturers will make bed caps for the R1T if I want it covered. I have 0 intent to get a 7 seating model if/when released. Can anyone point out folly in my thinking? Should I be patient and wait until Jan 2022 to order the R1S or order the R1T now and take delivery early 2022? Thoughts? (also the R1T is a little cheaper for same battery pack). Thanks all.

SjM
Funny I went through this but kept the EV/Hybrid plan for the commuter. I had a super nice low mile J80 only did a couple of “longer” trips where its 11-12mpg mileage both impacted range issues in a big way, and fuel cost was a big enough negative that my other car at the time Subaru Outback became the primary adventure rig. The Subaru actually did pretty much everything better . We outgrew the J80 needing local 5+ seat people hauling so sold the J80 after 7 yrs of ownership and picked up a cherry limited 07 Sequoia. The 14-16mpg ish mileage was a HUGE improvement Ha ha.. We definitely did some long trips and more local weekend trips in the Sequoia which we never would have done in the LC.
After 6 yrs I sold the Sequoia to my dad and replaced it with a new 2019 heavy tow pack Platinum Expedition. Christ!!! Such an awesome machine, 9200lb max tow rating, 400hp that pretty much never revs over 3000rpm gobs of torque. Push button factory rear locker- got stuck in the Sequoia a few times simply due to the missing rear locker issue. Oh and 20-23mpg road trip mileage at speeds we ran the Subaru at getting 25-27mpg.

EV? Adventure rig? Neighbor has a Rivian cool rig actually similar to that Sequoia 1gen size not mid sized not full sized. Which is interesting. The Expedition is super wide!!! Will not go where the first gen Sequoia would go (and get stuck ie no locker?)

We have a 2016 Fusion Energi original owner. Such an awesome vehicle 63mpg life time average over 80,000 miles love it.. I’d replace it with a Mache for sure. Weekend adventure rig? Even in my state that has more EV chargers than any other state? Mehh probably not. EV charging infrastructure needs to get a whole lot better along with charging time. Given especially with COVID pushing people to explore locally has turned remote EV chargers into traffic jams making the charging effort far far worse waiting to get charged.
The new hybrid / gas SUVs or even my standard 3.5 turbo 10 spd are so damn nice and impressive machines. I did a solo dad weekend trip, slept in the back of the Expedition met up with some buddies. I did 495 miles on a tank before gassing up. The subaru was awesome because I could do nearly 500 miles to a tank. Out west 500 mile range lets you get out there, way out there and yes fuel options can be tough on 395. My SLK350 did a 610 mile run on 395 late one night all the damn gas stations were closed after 9pm.. That freaking car ran 610 miles on a tank, rolled into a South east Washington state gas station sputtering on fumes at 3am. No EV adventure rig probably is about 15 yrs away for me still. But EV for local stuff hell yes!!

oh and the SLK350 is a garage queen 28,000 miles on it its a 06. LOL Why the Germans designed a car that could basically drive across Germany twice on a single tank of gas baffles me. Damn thing will do 32mpg at 80mph!!

Last edited:

Bobu

Why the Germans designed a car that could basically drive across Germany twice on a single tank of gas baffles me. Damn thing will do 32mpg at 80mph!!

That's easy to answer: because gas is much more expensive in Europe compared to the U.S. and in addition, if you drive 250 km/h on a German highway the range shrinks significantly and you have to re-fuel every hour.

Regarding Rivian: I'm really interesting, but it seems that we won't see any of them in Europe before 2024.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
That's easy to answer: because gas is much more expensive in Europe compared to the U.S. and in addition, if you drive 250 km/h on a German highway the range shrinks significantly and you have to re-fuel every hour.

Regarding Rivian: I'm really interesting, but it seems that we won't see any of them in Europe before 2024.
Looking over my neighbors Rivian and having lots of time in grandma’s T3. Rivian quality is a huge step up over Tesla fit and materials. Definitely a better sorted and built vehicle than Tesla. Also even living 30 minutes from Tesla factory getting any kind of repairs even glass replacement is a huge pain in the ******** and costly. Which is why I’d for a daily driver I’d easily go Ford Mach e far better parts support, hell even better wheel and tire choices for daily use vehicles. Tesla tire’s and wheels don’t do very well on beat up winter roads and are $$$ to replace.

skrypj

Funny I went through this but kept the EV/Hybrid plan for the commuter. I had a super nice low mile J80 only did a couple of “longer” trips where its 11-12mpg mileage both impacted range issues in a big way, and fuel cost was a big enough negative that my other car at the time Subaru Outback became the primary adventure rig. The Subaru actually did pretty much everything better . We outgrew the J80 needing local 5+ seat people hauling so sold the J80 after 7 yrs of ownership and picked up a cherry limited 07 Sequoia. The 14-16mpg ish mileage was a HUGE improvement Ha ha.. We definitely did some long trips and more local weekend trips in the Sequoia which we never would have done in the LC.
After 6 yrs I sold the Sequoia to my dad and replaced it with a new 2019 heavy tow pack Platinum Expedition. Christ!!! Such an awesome machine, 9200lb max tow rating, 400hp that pretty much never revs over 3000rpm gobs of torque. Push button factory rear locker- got stuck in the Sequoia a few times simply due to the missing rear locker issue. Oh and 20-23mpg road trip mileage at speeds we ran the Subaru at getting 25-27mpg.

EV? Adventure rig? Neighbor has a Rivian cool rig actually similar to that Sequoia 1gen size not mid sized not full sized. Which is interesting. The Expedition is super wide!!! Will not go where the first gen Sequoia would go (and get stuck ie no locker?)

We have a 2016 Fusion Energi original owner. Such an awesome vehicle 63mpg life time average over 80,000 miles love it.. I’d replace it with a Mache for sure. Weekend adventure rig? Even in my state that has more EV chargers than any other state? Mehh probably not. EV charging infrastructure needs to get a whole lot better along with charging time. Given especially with COVID pushing people to explore locally has turned remote EV chargers into traffic jams making the charging effort far far worse waiting to get charged.
The new hybrid / gas SUVs or even my standard 3.5 turbo 10 spd are so damn nice and impressive machines. I did a solo dad weekend trip, slept in the back of the Expedition met up with some buddies. I did 495 miles on a tank before gassing up. The subaru was awesome because I could do nearly 500 miles to a tank. Out west 500 mile range lets you get out there, way out there and yes fuel options can be tough on 395. My SLK350 did a 610 mile run on 395 late one night all the damn gas stations were closed after 9pm.. That freaking car ran 610 miles on a tank, rolled into a South east Washington state gas station sputtering on fumes at 3am. No EV adventure rig probably is about 15 yrs away for me still. But EV for local stuff hell yes!!

oh and the SLK350 is a garage queen 28,000 miles on it its a 06. LOL Why the Germans designed a car that could basically drive across Germany twice on a single tank of gas baffles me. Damn thing will do 32mpg at 80mph!!

The eLSD in the expedition is a locker, isnt it? Not a conventional mechanical locker like an Eaton, but it's a torque vectoring differential and so it can vector to both sides and "lock". They even have a lock button on the 4x4 selector knob on the center console I thought.

1643735986119.png

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The eLSD in the expedition is a locker, isnt it? Not a conventional mechanical locker like an Eaton, but it's a torque vectoring differential and so it can vector to both sides and "lock". They even have a lock button on the 4x4 selector knob on the center console I thought.

View attachment 705303
The Elsd is definitely a cheaper clutch system compared to the pin locking e locker sold in the 2019-2020 Expeditions. Mine is a 2019 most definitely a e locker using a locking pin system.
The 3.73 in those yrs was identical to the HD f150 and f250 gear set. It looks like Ford has pulled content from several of its trucks 21-22 but didn’t lower prices. Definitely a case of removing content from products but holding high prices.

Also they are switching to named models like Tremor etc which case they are only offering things like a true locker in those. Just marketing BS basically.

The Expedition options do change a bunch due to parts availability affecting the F150. The F150 is their priority so if parts availability is an issue the Expedition gets its options cut down first.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Honestly a late 2019 or 2020 is a better rig. 19’s built after September 1st 2019 got lots of quiet updates like Aluminum oil pans, updated engine bits etc.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Unless you need a vehicle I would skip COVid built vehicles. That includes RVs. The amount of corner cutting due to supply chain issues to get products out to the show room is bonkers not to mention the stupid pricing.
If there ever was a time to buy used and pre 2020 its now. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior