Rivian R1T (pickup) vs. R1S (SUV) for "overlanding"

SojournerMedic

Hi all, new member here.

I currently have a Toyota Land Cruiser 100 which is mostly used as an "adventure" vehicle (camping, dirtbagging, climbing, hauling bikes/kayak). Its atrocious gas mileage makes it mostly weekend/adventure use. The rear 2 jump seats have been removed since I inherited it and there's a removable shelf system in the trunk. It's currently used the way Rivian has been marketing its new vehicles.

As soon as I saw the R1S a few years ago it definitely piqued my interest and in early 2019 I put down a deposit. At that time it was planned for a 400+mi range battery pack model but it would probably only have 5 seats (and smaller batter packs may have 7 seats). As of now, the mid sized battery (300mi) can be ordered but they're not even "announcing" a 400mi range R1S until Jan 2022. The 400mi range R1T (the pickup) is available for delivery Jan 2022. The delay seems to be them finding a way to get 7 seats and biggest battery inside. I have no intent to get the 7 seat version.

So basically I'm impatient; I want my new toy, my justification being to get rid of the bad for the world gas guzzler (really I just want my new toy). I want to get rid of my 98k mile Land Cruiser now and not wait another 1++ years. I'm wondering if it would make sense for me to switch over and preorder the 400mi range R1T. I've never owned a pickup and don't know what should go into one, the pros/cons. I do know that Rivian is marketing both vehicles for people just like me and just the way I just my current LC so I feel confident the R1T can meet my needs (I'm not hauling materials like a contractor).

I came here to ask since this forums members probably use their vehicles more similarly to myself than overall pickup truck owners. So, for those who are deeper into the overlanding world, what pros/cons are there for a SUV vs. a pickup? I figure in a few years time at least a few manufacturers will make bed caps for the R1T if I want it covered. I have 0 intent to get a 7 seating model if/when released. Can anyone point out folly in my thinking? Should I be patient and wait until Jan 2022 to order the R1S or order the R1T now and take delivery early 2022? Thoughts? (also the R1T is a little cheaper for same battery pack). Thanks all.

SjM

Bobu

First I would contact Rivian and asked them if there will be a 400mi version of the R1S. Since the wheelbase of the R1S is shorter than the R1T it could be that the larger battery will just not fit in the R1S (even in the 5-seater version). Then you have to ask yourself: do you ever plan to sleep in the car, for example in unsafe areas? This is only possible with the R1S. If not, I would probably get the 400mi version of the R1T.

SojournerMedic

So I was hoping you wouldn't mention the sleeping inside the car, which is a very important but somewhat niche use of mine.

For the first part: there will be a 400mi version of the R1S; they're just not officially announcing it anymore. The rumor is because they have found (or are trying to find) a way to integrate 7 seats with the 400mi/180kwh battery pack. Months/year ago, they were stating the 400mi version would only be compatible w/ 5 seats; 7 seater version was the middle and smaller battery packs.

For my niche use: I put "overlanding" in quotes in the title because I can't say I truly use my vehicle in that way. I'm not off grid for days/weeks/months. I frequently participate in human powered sport (climbing, back country skiing) and my vehicle is really used to just get me to the trailhead/approach. Often times I'm driving and pulling to a trailhead at night; catching a few hours of sleep before an alpine start (2-3am). Being able to just drive, park, crawl into the back regardless of weather outside is very...convenient. (My current LC has a simple-ish shelf system w/ a sleeping platform; pretty easily removable to make the interior back to stock). With a pickup with a full sized bed and a cap this is possible but as you said, this won't be possible in the R1T. A roof top tent, is just not that appealing to me but something I'd consider if I *really* wanted the pick up.

I'm not so much sleeping in unsafe areas (if we assume all of the US as "not an unsafe area") but rather the above use is common for me. I was hoping to get a lot of opinions pointing towards the pros of a pickup over an SUV. The first reply pointed out exactly what I was hoping it wouldn't. I should probably just be patient.

Bobu

Then I would definitely wait for the 400mi R1S version. At least for me 70-90K US$ is a lot of money. I would rather wait and get the right car then get it as quickly as possible. The LC100 is still a great car and should easily bridge the time until the R1S arrives.

To make your decisions, and possibly wait, more complicated... There are rumors floating around that the Cybertruck may have a fold down cab behind the back seats. Think Chevy Avalanche.

With that and the retractable weather proof tonneau you kinda have the best of both worlds. Should be plenty of room for sleeping. Also, at the estimated price vs range calculation the Tesla looks to be a much better deal.

Having said that, I haven’t seen the CT in person and I was physically disturbed the first time I saw it. I have seen the R1T in person and it looks really great and I think it is the perfect size.

SojournerMedic

I'm not pro or anti any brand (though I do prefer Rivian's more understated approach thus far compared to Elon's) but I really don't like (hate) the look of a cybertruk. Clearly I should be patient and wait for the car I want. You're right my LC will hold up just fine (perhaps I'll love it even more knowing our time together is coming to a close).

F350joe

I'm not pro or anti any brand (though I do prefer Rivian's more understated approach thus far compared to Elon's) but I really don't like (hate) the look of a cybertruk. Clearly I should be patient and wait for the car I want. You're right my LC will hold up just fine (perhaps I'll love it even more knowing our time together is coming to a close).

ask Rivian if they will work with you on a trade in for the SUV you want when it is available. Seems like you could work out a win win where you keep your spot in the cue and they get to sell, and resell, more vehicles.

Chuck1

The Tesla is being redesigned to look more normal, deliver date mid 2023, now they say it will have a 500 mile version.

The new 4046 ( 40 something ! ) battery will be online by then if plans go right., he's trying to get battery cost down to $50 kwh

jkam

nomadic man

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
For your use case I would honestly think the SUV is the best option and the real question becomes,,,,"Do you REALLY need to wait for the 400mi version?"
Look at all your previous trips and ask if the 300mi mark wouldn't work just fine?

Grassland

Are these actually becoming a reality?
These r of the few electric vehicles that look nice in my opinion.
How do they sell them, like Tesla, factory direct?

NorthwestDriver

Are these actually becoming a reality?
These r of the few electric vehicles that look nice in my opinion.
How do they sell them, like Tesla, factory direct?

They’ve started calling customers about delivery last week. Launch has been delayed to July for the truck and it sounds like it will take into early 2022 to fulfill the Launch Edition orders. SUV deliveries still on track for early 2022.

Yes, direct to consumer.

Triumphdog

Adventurer
The Rivian R1T and R1S are taking forever to get out the door. I reserved mine in 2018. It will not become my overland truck or SUV, but man they sure will be fun to drive. I plan to do some local trips around Bend, OR. before heading to Moab for a White Rim trail run.

D

Deleted member 144299

The Rivian R1T and R1S are taking forever to get out the door. I reserved mine in 2018. It will not become my overland truck or SUV, but man they sure will be fun to drive. I plan to do some local trips around Bend, OR. before heading to Moab for a White Rim trail run.

That's awesome, congrats on the purchase. Watching "The long way up" right now and the truck looks amazing I am very excited to see them out in the wild!

Markal

I’ve been living under a rock and really had no idea what Rivian was about. I’m not into overlanding, yet. More of a traditional car camper, often dispersed camping, using my campsites as a base for mountain biking. But I’m getting more and more interested in overlanding as a way to really travel. I just bought a new Subaru Outback Touring XT, opting for it over a a true 4WD truck like a 4Runner. I just can’t abide the trade offs of a 4x4 for daily use (espeically the mileage, poor highway handling etc.). But I’ve had some buyer’s remorse and occasionally wish I’d bought something more capable. I told myself when they come out with an electric 4Runner (or similar) that is more refined on road, I’d buy it immediately

Today I read Motor Trend’s review of the Rivan R1T and blown is my mind!! Not sure I could ever get comfortable with paying $70k for a car, but I ain’t ruling out. Times the are a’changin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles