Rise of the Adventure Toaster

Kottonwood

Adventurer
Hey y'all.

I am glad to be back here on the forum. I sold my last expedition rig after some worldly travels and spent some time working, making home, and building family and community. Anyways, after falling in love with a lovely lady I am excited that I am about to have my first child! I feel the best place to raise a kid is on the road and there's no better way to travel than with a family. So, with that I started thinking about building another expedition vehicle. I am kind of a craigslist addict and I ended up picking this thing up a while back. It is a 1986 g30 (almost the same year as me!)
.Screenshot_20181113-132348_Chrome.jpg

So..... I ended up getting it for 3500 bucks... his definition of mechanically great shape is well different from anyone else's.... it leaks from everywhere, alternator is shot.. batteries dead, tires are 15 years old at least, who knows what else... but otherwise its a runner and that's great. It will need a lot of work before we drive it from the top of the world to the bottom though.

So when I first got it back I figured I would do the interior build out first and focus on the mechanicals later. A lot of the reason for that is budget, I don't have a ton of money to toss at it right now so I figured I would just make it livable. I decided I wanna keep it more or less original on the outside... I like the idea of a cheap stealth looking van vs something that just screams EXPENSIVE CAMPER VAN. Another key part is being able to travel with at least 3-5 people and a couple dogs comfortably. Most of the interior I did with leftover stuff I had from other vehicles (trucks), so that is why it may not look like a traditional van build out. We also decided to forego an interior kitchen and bathroom in order to have more passenger/ sleeping space. So everything up to now was whipped together in a about a week when I am waiting for permits to get approved on a barn I am building....

So, the last guy had already built some decent interior walls and insulated them will 1.5 inches of foam... He also had put plywood on the floor with 1/2 inch foam underneath... if it ain't broke, don't fix it! He didn't do ceiling though... so I insulated it and threw up some cedar, along with some interior lighting.

20200721_173358.jpg

20200901_104718.jpg

So now we are insulated!!! So, also in the above pics you'll see the cargo slide in the rear. This will eventually end up serving as a slide out kitchen of sorts with a lot of our camping and kitchen gear stored on it. The space to the right is conveniently sized to fit a fridge/ freezer. The bedframe above is where the lady and I will sleep... most of that all was stolen out of various variations of my previous f150.

Here is a shot of the bed drawer/drawer frame from the front, cant have to much storage!

20200901_104448.jpg

Right in front of that will go a fold down "duchess" van bed seat for the kiddos/passengers to sit and sleep. it is on order. You can also see the beginnings of my water system there... a 4 gallon water heater and a 42 gallon storage tank.

I had to cut a window in for the passengers of course.... I'll finish trimming that later...
20200901_144004.jpg

Continuing with my water system I put a full filtration system (very handy south of the border!) and a thermostatic mixing valve, also you can see here my switch panel for much of the accessory electronics
20200901_104657.jpg

Next I already knew I wanted this to be all electric, NO PROPANE.... I learned when traveling through many countries that it is just a pain to keep multiple types of fuel... this thing is diesel and that is the only gas stops I wanna make. So I started with a 400 watt solar system, I am going to add 3 more panels to give it 700 watts... not bad for a van!. As you can see I am really a function over form kinda guy..... get 'er done
20200901_104847.jpg

And of course I need 400ah of batteries to go with it
20200901_104336.jpg

...and a 5000 watt inverter... cooking on electric takes power!
20200901_104355.jpg

And.... how would it be complete without a 12v powerd air conditioner/heat pump... that's right folks... SOLAR POWERED AC!!!!

20200901_104923.jpg

So... That is basically where it stands right now.... future goals to follow

Last edited:

Kottonwood

Adventurer
So, my main goals for this winter are to get it usable as a local camping/ rafting rig for next year.

This is my current rig... so there is room for much improvement

20200817_124949.jpg

So this winter here are the main goals:

-Rebuild 14 bolt rear with arb air locker, all new bearings and seals, 4.10 gears, and a disc brake conversion kit
-Remove engine and tranny, re seal, replace parts as necessary
-full brake job on the front
-new alternator and water pump
-new headlights
-new windshield
-figure out an awning system, ideally without roof rack.... maybe a roof rack... who knows
-build a shower/toilet privacy curtain
-more exterior lighting and some offroad driving lights
-sound system

And here are some longer term goals
-mild lift with full 4x4 conversion
-upgrade to 6.5 turbo diesel
-winch bumpers front and rear (might do that this winter... I'll see how the other stuff goes)

Anyways, please let me know what you think and if you have any other ideas. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Kottonwood

Adventurer
Wow... I realized I haven't updated in a while. I did the rear end rebuild and finished the camper build then took it out on a few adventures..... Now I'm balls deep in the 4x4 conversion. Just installed the new driveshafts today and built the cross member for the transmission. I rebuilt the engine before reinstalling it..... Now just gotta get the damn thing running.

Attachments

• IMG_20210507_170802.jpg
    IMG_20210507_170802.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 55

Axelwik

How much power will you need to run AC and an electric stove on solar? Is there enough room on the roof of the van for that much solar? There will be cloudy days, your panels won't always be perfectly perpendicular to the sun, and there will be inverter losses. Just curious about the power budget that you've worked out.

Cool van though. Looks like the vans we used to use on the flight line in the Air Force.

Kottonwood

Adventurer
It was an air force van!

So I've worked out it can technically run my ac at full draw for ten hours, (50 amp draw, 500 ah of battery) however, the compressor doesn't run constantly so should get 2-3 times that.... Of course there are other things running so won't be perfect like that, either way plenty of juice. I have also upgraded to a 200 amp alternator for quick charging with the motor running if solar is inadequate. I now have 700 watts on the roof, if I changed to better panels I could fit 1050... I also thought of maybe doing slide out panels for even more.... But I probably will never do that.

Kottonwood

Adventurer
So I'm sitting at the alignment shop now.... Finally got it all together and I'm taking it out this weekend..... It's been a long time coming.... Plenty of blood and sweat in this old girl. Still gotta replace the rear leafs too ... I ordered the wrong size.... Twice... Ouch

IMG_20210630_134807.jpgIMG_20210630_111121.jpgIMG_20210630_110140.jpgIMG_20210616_150253.jpgIMG_20210614_104620.jpg

Kottonwood

Adventurer
Ps. the transmission and transfer case came out of a 1996 Chevy k3500 hd.... So it's super beefy, they were both rebuilt right before that truck blew the motor... So great shape too. I got a stand alone controller for the transmission and the ability to tune the transmission really wakes up the probably underpowered 6.2, not to mention I also have overdrive now. I decided to forego the engine swap to the 6.5 because it would have cost a fortune. Also since it is a j code military edition 6.2, the turbo really doesn't add a ton of power. Maybe one day I'll throw some headers and a better exhaust on. At this point I think I have under 20k total investment, not bad! (Also a billion hours or so). I think I've taken about every bolt outta this van now, everything mechanical has been inspected, rebuilt, or replaced.

....oh yeah one more future add on... Gotta build a spare tire carrier for the rear door.... Then it's done.... For now

Kottonwood

Adventurer
Ok.... Also update on the ac unit.

It is probably a bit undersized.... I originally bought it for a k5 blazer I was gonna camper out, but ended up selling that truck.

I charged it today to 30 psi, anyone know how high I could/ should go? It does a decent job cooling the driver compartment, but no way it'll do the whole van.... Might need to add another for that. But maybe if I go up to like 50 psi it'll get a lot colder.... I'm not really an ac expert though.... We'll really I'm not really an anything expert.

iggi

Ian
Sweet rig!

I'm no expert on the 6.2 but wouldn't you just turn up the fuel delivery?
On my old Landcruiser with the NA 3B, adding a turbo made very little difference until I turned up the fuel.

Ps. the transmission and transfer case came out of a 1996 Chevy k3500 hd.... So it's super beefy, they were both rebuilt right before that truck blew the motor... So great shape too. I got a stand alone controller for the transmission and the ability to tune the transmission really wakes up the probably underpowered 6.2, not to mention I also have overdrive now. I decided to forego the engine swap to the 6.5 because it would have cost a fortune. Also since it is a j code military edition 6.2, the turbo really doesn't add a ton of power. Maybe one day I'll throw some headers and a better exhaust on. At this point I think I have under 20k total investment, not bad! (Also a billion hours or so). I think I've taken about every bolt outta this van now, everything mechanical has been inspected, rebuilt, or replaced.

....oh yeah one more future add on... Gotta build a spare tire carrier for the rear door.... Then it's done.... For now

Kottonwood

Adventurer
Sweet rig!

I'm no expert on the 6.2 but wouldn't you just turn up the fuel delivery?
On my old Landcruiser with the NA 3B, adding a turbo made very little difference until I turned up the fuel.

Well, ya gotta do both. If you add more air then you need more fuel and vice versa. I could probably get away with turning up the fuel a bit but I'm also at high altitude, so I'm already lacking air a bit anyways.

Kottonwood

Adventurer
So I thought I was done..... After this longer test drive, the tranny wants to run at about 240F....

Anyways... Overnighted a remote cooler from summit racing.... Mark my words, I'm going camping this weekend!

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
I remember riding in one of those on trips to the airfield when I was a Security Forces airman. The most memorable ride was probably the time that we accidentally ran over the can of m203 grenades:oops:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior