Right or Left

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
No, not politics. What side of your vehicle would you mount an awning? I have logical reasons for either side. Curious as to what others think.

Last edited:

dms1

Explorer
Good Question, I put mine on the passenger side for two reasons, one, If I was to park on a road (at the curb) I could put up the awning and it wouldn't stick out into the street, and the second reason is my Fridge is located at the drivers side passenger door, so if I were to sleep in the back of the rig I would access the sleeping area via the passenger side rear door, which would be shielded by the tarp if it were raining. It would be best to have a tarp on both sides but I cant afford that :sombrero:

Zam15

Explorer
The opposite side that your RTT opens up :sombrero: Thats what made my decision... But I could see the passenger side having the advantage.. Mine sets up on the drivers side and it works just fine for me.
DSC00837.jpg

wjeeper

If you ever plan on spending time in a developed campground or KOA style campground I would have it open on the passenger side. It seems that they set up pull in stalls to be accessed from that side and usually they angle the stalls so backing in is not super easy.

chasespeed

Explorer
If you're going to make something can be put on, and take off, make it so you can mount it from EITHER side, as well as the rear........

Chase

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
If you ever plan on spending time in a developed campground or KOA style campground I would have it open on the passenger side. It seems that they set up pull in stalls to be accessed from that side and usually they angle the stalls so backing in is not super easy.

I can't say that developed campgrounds are a priority for the near future, but good to know. I like to be backed in. Got to back up at some point. Rather get it out of the way. Plus speedy exit!

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
If you're going to make something can be put on, and take off, make it so you can mount it from EITHER side, as well as the rear........

That is very good advice. Will have to make/have made a second set of mounts.
Too wide to fit across the back.

BTW I apologize for the multiple posts. I couldn't figure out the way to quote from multiple post.

Plus my own post count was getting low.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I prefer the passenger side as you are more likely to use the passenger seat as an extra seating space (the steering wheel makes it hard to chill on the drivers side), plus I have found that when running a trail and pulling over for a break it is a habit to pull over to the passenger side and thus put the awning out that way.

The most important thing is to have an awning in the first place :)

For some reason I've always envisioned the tarp on the driver's side. But at the same time, my fuel filler is on that side. Cigars...fumes...? I never smell any fumes, but who knows? :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior